1Life Management Solutions - cancelled giving 1mth notice - but they say i didn't and took another months membership

Raycross
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a problem with the cancellation of a contract for recurring swimming lessons with a sports centre, 1Life Management Solutions

The contract started on 11th November 2021 for a 30mn swimming lessons once a week. The payment was monthly by direct debit on the 1st of each month (£31) with a catch up first payment taken on 1st December 2021 for £50 to cover the period from 11th November to 30th November 2021 and the month of December 2021.

The contract continues unless cancelled for convenience. The relevant cancellation clause says "Subject to payment during the Minimum Payment Period (which is 4 months, so I had passed this), Students who pay fees by direct debit may cancel Membership giving no less than one calendar months’ notice.".

I gave them notice on the 7th of July 2022 giving an end of contract on 6th August, but they have charged me for the full month of August, arguing that they require a "calendar month's notice, and refuse to refund me the period from 7th August to 31st August 2022.

I cannot understand the contractual or legal basis of their position. They seem to treat this as if I had given notice on the 1st August 2022. What are the remedies?

In the 3rd edition of Halsbury's Laws of England, volume 37, the authors wrote: "When the period prescribed is a calendar month running from any arbitrary date the period expires with the day in the succeeding month immediately preceding the day corresponding to the date upon which the period starts: save that, if the period starts at the end of a calendar month which contains more days than the next succeeding month, the period expires at the end of the latter month."

So the legal interpretation of a calendar months’ notice is pretty clear.

Any views?

• dx100uk changed the title to 1Life Management Solutions want to cancel - Problem with lenth of notice to cancel a swimming lesson contract with 1Life Management Solutions

go do a direct debit reclaim for it then

you are covered by the DD guarantee ring your bank

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to 1Life Management Solutions - cancelled giving 1mth notice - but they say i didn't and took another months membership

rubbish!

go do it let them argue after.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Raycross and welcome to CAG

If you had come here asking a different question (like, I want to end the agreement - When should I tell them and when should I cancel the DD mandate?)

My advice would have been, "If you want to give notice to cancel on 7th July, let them take the DD on 1st August, then cancel the DD via your bank and use the facility up to the end of August."

You paid a pro rata sum to use the facility from 11th to 30th November 2021. Thereafter, you paid on the 1st of each month in advance.

Challenge them if you want on the basis of Halsbury's Laws of England and reclaim the DD (which is your right) but I don't really see the point.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)