Energie Fitness cancelling due to move/following change of ownership - now Harlands +£20 penalty

Hello all, please excuse me for the long post. Seeking advice on my current situation. Outlining below. 

- I joined my local Energie Fitness gym on 1/5/2022

- Very recently the gym left the Energie Fitness group and became an independent gym. I contacted the staff at the gym and they said they had sent out an email informing customers in advance, but I had not received the email. 

- It just happens that I will be moving out of my town and would like to cancel the gym membership. I asked the staff at the gym about the procedure and they informed me to just cancel the direct debit. On 25/3/2024 I cancelled the direct debit. (The DD payments were still going to Energie Fitness) I sent an email immediately to the gym informing them I had cancelled the DD as instructed and asked them to delete my account. 

- On 28/3/2024 I received an automated email from Harlands requesting me to re-activate the DD. They are saying if I don't reactivate by 30/6/2024 I may receive a default fee of 20 GBP from Energie Fitness. Following this I contacted the local gym and asked them to check my account but it seems they didn't have me on record. However, the staff re-assured me that even when they were part of Energie Fitness it would be fine to just ignore the Harlands email. 

- Today on 29/3/2024 I tried logging into my online Energie Fitness account and noticed it was still open. I tried using the cancel membership function from there but it stated I was unable to because the account was frozen. It seems I'd need to unfreeze my account to use the feature.

I had also managed to find the email address for the Energie Fitness head office and emailed them explaining about the local gym leaving the Energie group and asking them to close my Energie account + confirm that I no longer need to make any payments to Energie Fitness. 

With regards to the terms and conditions for cancellation, I would typically need to give Energie one month's notice but there is also a clause in the terms that states: 

Relocation: The agreement can be cancelled in the event that your new permanent address is more than 15 miles from the facility upon receipt of a copy utility bill or bank statement showing the new address. 

There is also a clause that states in the event of the sale of the club, Energie may transfer membership to the new owner and I will continue to be a member of the club and pay membership. In terms of next steps, I assume I have 3 options; 

1) Reactivate the direct debit so that I can attempt to officially cancel the membership through the online Energie account (and pay the remaining one month membership as notice)
2) Wait until I've moved into my new property and email a copy of the new permanent address to Energie and ignore any follow ups from Harlands. (don't pay anything more to Energie)
3) Completely ignore any follow ups from Energie and Harlands and just do nothing. (don't pay anything more to Energie)

I'm quite confused about what to do, could you please advise what would be the best course of action? Thanks very much in advance. 

Read the stories about gym memberships and about Harlands on this forum.

Basically just ignore them.

A good idea to let them know your change of address – just in case – a very remote possibility – that they decide to send you something official in which case let us know.

• Like 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Energie Fitness cancelling due to move/following change of ownership - now Harlands +£20 penalty

simply write to them, offering one months fee, give them 14 days to accept.

if they sont accept, ignore everyone.

Harlands too! and the extra £20 penalty is not allowed either.

thread title updated.

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately in my haste I had already emailed the Energie Fitness head office explaining my situation (that the staff in the gym told me to cancel the direct debit, then I got emailed from Harlands and I asked them to cancel my membership + confirm I don't have to pay anything else).

Based on their response I will probably write a letter to Energie and state: I tried cancelling membership in my online account but couldn't (screenshot attached), I have re-read the terms and understand that the cancellation requires one month notice, hence I offer them one month fee for 14 days. Remind them that the gym no longer operates as part of their group and hence there is no basis to pay anything more.

I was originally thinking of giving them my new address but on second thought id like to have this all behind me once I move. How does this direction sound? And would you advise I wait for their email response or should I send the letter immediately?

just write to energie as i stated.

like all 'debts' on or not on your credit file,  and for things like the DVLA for each car v5c and separately for your driving licence, you must inform everyone in writing of a change of address.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...