Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had only one letter from BPF, the same fob off one everyone seems to have had. I replied...

"Dear Mr Carey

Thank you for your letter dated 16 February 2010, which did not address any of the issues raised in my previous 2 letters. It said nothing bar the vague open-ended promise of ‘sourcing an alternative training provider to complete your course’ that I’ve already been fed on the phone. I should point out the fact that it has taken Barclays a whole month to even write to its customers following Advent’s demise! Considering Barclays are apparently instrumental in Advent’s collapse by withdrawing funds from it in the first place, I would say that is very poor customer relations.

For the record, I am not happy to accept ANY training provider sourced by Barclays (what does a bank know about IT training?) and instead of being fobbed off onto another distance learning course not of my choosing, I insist on a full refund of my £4,950 course fees. You are legally obliged to return this to me as you are jointly liable under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act, and the training I contracted for is not being provided as arranged.

I have been advised by Consumer Direct to write to you again requesting a refund, enclosing copies of my previous letters, and to ask for a response within 14 days of date of this letter. The Financial Ombudsman has also written to you on my behalf.

I await your prompt reply and will be taking this further if I don’t get a satisfactory response to my request".

:mad:

I've signed the petition, written to Watchdog etc too.

The protest is a great idea. Barclays need to be publicly shamed. It may well force their hand at refunding everyone...bad publicity is something I'm sure they'll hate!

Financial Ombudsman told me that they can take up my complaint 8 weeks after Advent's first declaration, as they consider that a reasonable time for Barclays to have acted to resolve this situation. I suggest everyone does that too.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have just recieved my first letter from barclays (not bad only 5 weeks since advent went bust ) stating they are close to appointing another provider. does anyone know if we have to except this provider or can we refuse and demand a refund? as i signed up with advent for the training i expect to finish my training with them and nobody else. if i wanted a different provider i would have signed with them in the first place. seems a bit like paying for a bmw only to be told that they have gone bust so we have got you a ford instead. (no offence to fords if you know what i mean ) is it writen in the credit agreement that if the company goes bust we have to except a different provider?

Financial ombudsman told me that they can take up my complaint 8 weeks after Advent's first declaration, as they consider that a reasonable time for Barclays to have acted to resolve this situation. I suggest everyone does that too.

Hi Fuzzbutt

The first letter I got from BPF was on the 28/1/10 saying Advent had ceased to trade. So was the website notice up before then? do you know cos that could be the start of the 8weeks. is that right? and I like your letter I've already given them 14days to reply to me re cancelling and I think that's why Trading Standards told me to go back this week cos the time'll be up on Friday

I have just recieved my first letter from barclays (not bad only 5 weeks since advent went bust ) stating they are close to appointing another provider. does anyone know if we have to except this provider or can we refuse and demand a refund? as i signed up with advent for the training i expect to finish my training with them and nobody else. if i wanted a different provider i would have signed with them in the first place. seems a bit like paying for a bmw only to be told that they have gone bust so we have got you a ford instead. (no offence to fords if you know what i mean ) is it writen in the credit agreement that if the company goes bust we have to except a different provider?

Hi Mantaxi this is my personal opinion at the moment so can't give you any solid advice at the min. but I will be arguing the point with BPF I have been trying to find a legal standpoint to refuse an alternative provider I can't see how they can force us to sign up with another provider when so many of us don't want that from BPF But I will be refusing that in fact I've already written to them objecting to them trying to force me to do that. According to what the Trading Standards have told me they are going on the fact that this is a link loan that has been broken with Advent therefore BPF are also liable so I was told yes you have a case against them. hopefully we'll get a result ie refund.

(wish I was more confident):-)

and no it's not written anywhere I can see that they will provide an alternative provider

Edited by Bluedo
forgot a bit

It is written in the contracts that due to a collapse or insolvency we must accept the alternative training provider as provided by the finance supplier, ie barclay's but barclay's have been playing a nasty little game all along and this is why some of us are standing on Parliament Square next Sunday to get this situation publicized a lot better than it has been.

If we do nothing but talk and not act then Barclay's etc will have the run of us and all our money and you know they will. If you wanna act, then get to Parliament Square next Sunday.

Hi all

I have only just now seen the news about Advent and have been trying to look through the formus for advice but its all a bit overwhelming

I was wondering if someone can give me a few answers if possiable.

There is a Proof of Debt form we can fill out on the PKF - website, does this allow us to get money back?

I paid off my loan with BPF using some of it on credit card but i did have to pay off some interest too. would i still be able to get money back since i have paid it all off, I assume i would as i am no longer able to complete the course i have paid for.

Is there anything else you think i should do to start a process of getting a refund?

Thanks to anyone that can help

Adam

Financial ombudsman told me that they can take up my complaint 8 weeks after Advent's first declaration, as they consider that a reasonable time for Barclays to have acted to resolve this situation. I suggest everyone does that too.

Hi Fuzzbutt

The first letter I got from BPF was on the 28/1/10 saying Advent had ceased to trade. So was the website notice up before then? do you know cos that could be the start of the 8weeks. is that right? and I like your letter I've already given them 14days to reply to me re cancelling and I think that's why Trading Standards told me to go back this week cos the time'll be up on Friday

Hi Bluedo

I think the notice was posted on 27 Jan - that's when the email announcement is dated anyway, although I didn't see it for a couple of days as it ended up in my junk mail. I wrote my first letter dated 1 Feb due to this.

It is written in the contracts that due to a collapse or insolvency we must accept the alternative training provider as provided by the finance supplier, ie barclay's but barclay's have been playing a nasty little game all along and this is why some of us are standing on Parliament Square next Sunday to get this situation publicized a lot better than it has been.

If we do nothing but talk and not act then Barclay's etc will have the run of us and all our money and you know they will. If you wanna act, then get to Parliament Square next Sunday.

Hi there Benny.

Can you confirm where in the contract it states that if the contract is broken that we have to accept an alternative training provider?

I haven't seen this anywhere.

Thanks.

First post by the way. I have read through the whole thread though. Thanks for all the help everyone. My situation is that I am 3 payments into the loan after the 1 year 'interest free' period. I wrote to Barclays on 08/02 regarding CCA 1974 and stated that I wanted a refund and was giving them 14 days. I definately do not want another provider like most on here. I have had no reply other than the fobbing off letters. I know my letter was received as it was tracked by Royal Mail. They have had 21 days now and no resolution so I will be calling CD and the FO tomorrow for further advice and will be sending another letter.

I would have loved to have attended the protest next week but I am in Edinburgh so can't sadly. I have signed the petition though and joined the Facebook group.

I will fight Barclays all the way and so should everyone. Let's not cave in to these dodgy b******s.

T

Barclays actually managed to reply to my letter, and I received another bland reply yesterday (Saturday). Assured me that they are fully investigating my complaint and will 'contact you by 9 March with a detailed response. You may at this stage refer the matter to the Finance and Leasing Association (FLA)'.

Hmmmm.....looking at the FLA's website it doesn't look like they have any teeth to resolve this, just act as go-between. It says they can't offer legal advice or enforce any action on Barclays so I'm pretty suspicious this is a fob-off bollocks/red herring!:x

I'll go to the Financial Ombudsman, though I have to wait out a another 4 weeks before they can step in on a complaint. Barclays aren't going to squirm out of this!

Hi everone i have my finance agreement with hitachi but have been following this thread with interest. I am disscusted by the way these a**ehole banks flex their muscles! I have my current accounts and savings with Barclays but I am in the process of switching to another bank! I have an appointment with my bank manager on tuesday and I plan to air my views about this situation.

Just received another fob off letter from BPF "I can confirm we are in discussions with a suitable alternative provider which we hope to conclude shortly"

No reference to anything I wrote to them about freezing the account or about cancellation or paperwork copies I've requested.

Has anyone had a reply to their letters regarding anything they requested from them ie freezing acc or even a request to cancel acc.

They don't seem to want to put anything in writing to me except the fob off letter.

they keep advising me to phone them but I've tried to keep to writing

Hi m8 yes i got a letter the other week stating that my account had been put on hold and they cancelled my dd so get them to do it your paying for somethin your not getting but make sure you get it in writing

just phoned bfp about the new provider. asked them for a name so i could check them out on th net to see if they match advent. was told that they do not have that information and if they did they would no reveal it because it is confidential. i think that when we do get the name they should be checked out at compannies house to see how long they have been trading and not just set up by bfp. seems strange to me that after all this time that they do not have a name or even tell me.

just phoned bfp about the new provider. asked them for a name so i could check them out on th net to see if they match advent. was told that they do not have that information and if they did they would no reveal it because it is confidential. i think that when we do get the name they should be checked out at compannies house to see how long they have been trading and not just set up by bfp. seems strange to me that after all this time that they do not have a name or even tell me.

Considering 85% of the staff in Glasgow are getting the can in the near future, I'm suprised that many of the staff there don't just say 'Ah sod it'

Still if you calls are being monitored I suppose they don't have a choice.

I noticed that BPF letters refer to 'a' provider, not providers. Be interesting to know who they think can suddenly take on several thousand extra customers and still provide any service whatsoever.

David

I agree, but I think Barclays are bluffing and full of bull**** with 'we are confident we can find same if not better training provider' & 'we will be writing soon with details etc'. I think they're stalling in the hope some of us will give up in despair and drop the attack, or they can figure out a way to legally wriggle out of liability. :-x

I'm waiting for a call back from Trading Standards Office now and will post here with what they tell me. Consumer Direct passed my case on to the local office as that's the next step apparently after following Consumer Direct's advice to write to BPF (letter & 14 days to respond). I want to ask TS specific questions...

1. Even if barclays DO find another training provider, are we obliged to accept it or can we insist on a refund anyway (nothing in contract says we have to accept Barclays choice)?
  2. If Barclays are legally obliged to refund us in that case, what recourse do we have to force them to act? Financial Ombudsman or small claims court?
  3. Should we still, as a matter of course, put in a claim to insolvency practioner PKF?

If anyone has other questions they think we should ask, do please post them up.

I was combing through my Barclays PF agreement contract but can't see this either BennyBelton...could you point out where it says that please? Don't think I've thrown any paperwork away accidentally, but all I can see is if a supplier goes bust you can sue them (Barclays) under Consumer Credit Act.

Or am I misunderstanding and was it something Advent sent you?

Edited by Fuzzbutt

It is written in the contracts that due to a collapse or insolvency we must accept the alternative training provider as provided by the finance supplier,

Well, unless I need a trip to Specsavers...no it's not.

David

Thanks guys for all the reply's

Phoned BPF The account will be frozen from today and DD cancelled.

and a letter will be sent out.

They can't deny receiving the letters cos I have Royal Mail tracking numbers and can see who signed for them. so why didn't they just freeze it then. had to phone to get it done.

Asked them to cancel they said "Can't Cancel you're still liable because they're getting a new provider"

Told them No I don't want another provider They said "you're still liable"

Wonder if they talk in their sleep and say "you're still liable?"

I'm hanging onto Trading Standards thoughts on this as they saw all the paperwork and said yes we have a case against them as the links broken

Tricia thanks for asking about Address I sent the 14day notice letter to London address. So I'll send future ones to Glasgow.

Fuzzbutt, good idea to get questions ready we want answered from TS I'm going in on Friday to see them again so won't do any harm to ask same questions and see if different TS are in agreement

Just been told by Trading Standards Office (Consumer Direct referred my case on to them) that in no uncertain terms can Barclays withhold repaying back the BPF loans and offer another training provider instead. The helpful man who called said he was surprised Barclays were insisting on doing that, as they normally just refund loans in these circumstances. He thought it odd and agreed they will be in breach of S75 Credit Act and due to pay back the money. I said it was being speculated Barclays were just trying to get out of paying back the money to students and he said that was indeed possible as there was no justification for their action.

I sent scanned copies of all the loan agreements, Advent contract etc and they are taking up the complaint on my behalf, contacting PKF as well as Barclays.

Just goes to show what a lying bunch of [problematic] Barclays bank is, eh? :-x:shock: GRRR!

Just been told by Trading Standards Office (Consumer Direct referred my case on to them) that in no uncertain terms can Barclays withhold repaying back the BPF loans and offer another training provider instead. The helpful man who called said he was surprised Barclays were insisting on doing that, as they normally just refund loans in these circumstances. He thought it odd and agreed they will be in breach of S75 Credit Act and due to pay back the money. I said it was being speculated Barclays were just trying to get out of paying back the money to students and he said that was indeed possible as there was no justification for their action.

I sent scanned copies of all the loan agreements, Advent contract etc and they are taking up the complaint on my behalf, contacting PKF as well as Barclays.

Just goes to show what a lying bunch of [problematic] Barclays bank is, eh? :-x:shock: GRRR!

Thanks FuzzButt. It's good to know loads of people are pushing for the same outcome rather than most people sitting back and waiting for others to do the work. Keep up the good work everyone

Saying "your still liable" in their sleep priceless :lol:

But on a more important note i sent my cancellation letter, 14 days have gone past and no response.

If they were that sure that they were in the clear with this i think they would have written back by now!

Edited by Mustard2243

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks