192.com people finder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3486 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit of a slow night, so I have done some digging-about.

I thought this thread is the best place for this-

Minister of State Michael Wills MP:

"The register is held locally, by some 400 different electoral registration officers. The unit of electoral registration has historically been the household. The government passed legislation this summer to move to a system of individual registration – where each person will provide their name and address, and three personal identifiers – signature, date of birth, and National Insurance number – in order to be entered onto the register."

Hands up anyone that trusts your local council to "keep secure" a copy of your signature?

Full speech is here-

Data protection: a new dialogue - Ministry of Justice

Bill

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a slow night, so I have done some digging-about.

I thought this thread is the best place for this-

Minister of State Michael Wills MP:

"The register is held locally, by some 400 different electoral registration officers. The unit of electoral registration has historically been the household. The government passed legislation this summer to move to a system of individual registration – where each person will provide their name and address, and three personal identifiers – signature, date of birth, and National Insurance number – in order to be entered onto the register."

Hands up anyone that trusts your local council to "keep secure" a copy of your signature?

Full speech is here-

Data protection: a new dialogue - Ministry of Justice

Bill

"now what am i bid for this identy",

Great, looks like the Edited register may be going too-

Reference Number : 46/09

Open date: 24 November 2009

Close date: 23 February 2010

This consultation aims to build a firmer evidence base about the advantages and disadvantages of the edited version of the electoral register and the impact of any changes made to it.

Views and evidence are invited from the public and other stakeholders about how they could be affected by its abolition.

On the basis of the evidence gathered, the government will consider a range of options for the future of the Edited Register including abolition, changing the process by which individuals are included on it, or improving public awareness of it.

Electoral registers - proposed changes to the Edited Register - Ministry of Justice

Thats it, I'm off to Nigeria!

Bill

Well spotted Bill.

I wonder if this should be done as a seperate dedicated sticky thread for Caggers to fill in the questionairre..mods?

The public needs to be made aware of this..how many people check the MOJ website as a matter of course. Why hasn't this questionaire been publicised? :rolleyes:

Elsa x

well spotted Bill!I'm thinking of abandoning registering on the electoral roll.maybe then I can have some peace of mind and not be worrying that some four eyed spotty faced council accountant has not proffited from the sale of my data to cunning sites like 192.com etc.

I've just looked at this thread and am outraged (but not surprised) that this is going on.

Simply asking them to remove my (electoral register) data might work in this instance, but what when someone else comes along? We can't be expected to continually write to each new organisation requesting they remove data.

I want to complain to the ICO, as said earlier, perhaps if enough people did that, the ICO might stop them permanently. Having looked at the ICO form, it implies you must have contacted the company directly first. Is that the case? Obviously, if 192 remove our details when contacted and thus defeat an ICO investigation, they will never be stopped.

My concern is in stopping their processing data without prior consent as I have never dealt with 192 before they can't possibly have my consent.

Is it possible to complain to the ICO in the first instance as a matter of 192 not having my consent?

The ICO expect you to have made contact with the company prior to making an official complaint to the ICO.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well spotted Bill.

I wonder if this should be done as a seperate dedicated sticky thread for Caggers to fill in the questionairre..mods?

The public needs to be made aware of this..how many people check the MOJ website as a matter of course. Why hasn't this questionaire been publicised? :rolleyes:

Elsa x

Elsa, I have flagged the post for further comment and perhaps it's own permanent home:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

ey yup!Iv'e just had a peep at 192.com site and mine and friends details are all blanked out????????? cunning eh!has anybody else checked the site?Is this a sneaky beaky trick to head off any scrutinisation by the authorities, cos heaven knows iv'e written to plenty.

No, it's a sneaky trick to make you stump up some money.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

All personall info was on screen for everyone to see, but now after all this ruckus the 192 aliens have battened down the hatches, hoping it will all blow over.and as someone on this forum said, it's important to take a screen shot of any useful or offending data/info.

I have only jsut seen this thread.

I looked at my data - it contains my motehr's maiden name, which my credit card company uses to confirm my identity :eek:

I have sent 192.com a notice under s10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 to remove my data and cease publishing it.

Here is the notice under s10

Customer Services

192.com

Unit 8-10 Quayside Lodge

William Morris Way

London

SW6 2UZ

1 January 2010

Notice under s10 of the Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sirs

I did a search of your site today to look up the details you publish about me and I was astounded to see the information freely available there.

You have never sought my permission to use data relating to me and certainly not to publish it. This notice formally requires you to cease processing (incusing publication) of information relating to me and to remove such data from your records.

Section 10(3) of the DPA 1998 requires that you confirm to me in writing this has been done within 21 days of receipt of this notice.

Yours sincerely

steven4064

Edited by steven4064

I have no idea where they got it from but they have no right to publish it. I have sent a s10 Notice and, if that doesnt do the trick, I will threaten them with court under ss13 and 14.

For goodness sakes, they even sell the whole package on a CD ROM !!

So even if you have stopped them publishing it online.. does this mean if someone has the CD then they still have access to those details !

BCOBS

if a thread is stickied, what does it mean?

Means it stays at the top of the Forum, regardless of when someone posts on it. Saves it dropping further down the threads, then getting 'lost' :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

sorry if ive missed the scope of this as i have not read the entire thread, but i noticed in the first couple of pages that 192.com

perform detailed checks to make sure the people purchasing are not fraudulent including manual checks. Each search is logged and kept and our Terms and Conditions state that these logs may be made available to law enforcement agencies. So anyone who is using 192.com for criminal purposes is leaving a detailed audit trail. [/font][/color]

This cannot be the case as a neighbour of mine has been reading this thread with interest and has just signed up and searched for neighbours in our street (just for entertainment purposes). Now, HE has just come out of broadmoor after serving a 7 stretch for forgery and defrauding her majesties government. That, coupled with identity theft makes him the perfect candidate for 192.com's fraud checks, yet he managed to open an account and get information from these muppets that could enable him to commit more ID theft that he could ever wish for.

Good job he's gone straight now. This is a criminals playground.

Anyway, im locking my doors....

UKD.

If you are concerned, do as i did and send a s10 notice. If they dont comply, take them to court. they have no right to do this

Hi Steven,

Not sure how I could do this as MY personal details are NOT showing. Only those of many of my neighbours, which I will be showing this thread to forthwith.

UKD

Drat - just too late to pop copies of the forms, with a covering note, in with all my Christmas cards.

I'm opted out of the ER

Just to educate a dimwit (ME), does this mean if you opt out of being in the ER, should anybody check you out for a credit agreement, you wont be showing? I mean if this is the case how would one get basic credit such as a mobile phone etc

UKD

Hi ukd -

Just to educate a dimwit (ME), does this mean if you opt out of being in the ER, should anybody check you out for a credit agreement, you wont be showing? I mean if this is the case how would one get basic credit such as a mobile phone etc

Finance co's, DCA's and others have full access to the "full register". Therefore, they can check you out without restrictions.

As I have previously posted, the Edited register could be abolished in the near future anyway. Also, you WILL need to supply a copy of your signature, DOB and NI number in order to vote. This legislation is already law.

Bill