192.com people finder

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They say they have an audit trail in place so they can see when your data was purchased, how it was purchased and who etc.

I wonder how effective in fact that is.

As they go out of their way to highlight maiden names, (which are very usefull if you are a fraudster), I wouldn't trust a single word they say.

David

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a response today pointing out a few interesting things.

192.com only hold birth, marriages, death records from 1984 onwards. If a search is done relating to a pre-1984 enquiry an electronic request is sent to a company called findmypast.com.

So findmypast.com will be receiving a S10 notice.

I've been assured that in the future any information will be removed unless I change address in which case I need to write to them again.

They have also told me to write to them with my date of birth, registration district etc post 1984.

Letter was sent special delivery.

I'm afraid you may get 192 to remove the info, but the problem is there's dozens of companies out there doing the same thing & not all are based in the UK.

In my eyes one of the biggest offenders are the Mormon Church; this is their search engine for genealogy records, but they have a huge repository in Salt Lake City which holds all sorts of info & their intention is to catalogue everyone. Mormon Church (LDS) Genealogy / Geneology Records

My MP has written back already to tell me that he is writing to the NI security minister Paul Goggins to get him to investigate 192.com

Hmmmmm....worried Chilcot might find out where he really lives.

Only Joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

Been checking on there myself. So much of their data is years out of date. I researched all my family on there just to see how much stuff they had. With my Uncle's details only one of my cousins came up as living there, so that info is likely to be 24 years out of date.

With my details it came up with an address I lived at up until late 2001. :rolleyes: And also a person who I've never met was living there at the same time according to 192.com.

Still going to send the letters and complaints etc. Just to cause them some extra hassle and work. :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

well that was quick!

My MP has written back already to tell me that he is writing to the NI security minister Paul Goggins to get him to investigate 192.com

Wheels starting to turn ;)

Paul Goggins? Does his wife run the post office in Greendale? ;)

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

But no harm in trying. If you don't try, you don't get. ;)

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

the whole fact that anyone can buy data such as this is a crass dereliction of responsibility on the govt's part

Data regarding people in certain sensitive fields of employment should not be able to be bought

A Data protection breach like this by an IRA spyring almost brought the NI executive crashing down

I totally agree!

I work for a govt dept that handles data on the very type of people you mention. These people are regarded as 'protected population' for obvious reasons. The security measures and rules for handling their data is very stringent.

I would think that anyone in this situation who is complaining to their MP may want to point out that they are regarded as a member of protected population by the government. It might just make them take a bit more notice.....worth a try anyway.

i did a search for my name and it came up that i shared a residence with my wife and my son. My son left home ages ago, and the register of electors was informed but my details are on the edited register. i did a check on my adress and it gave the first name of all the people that lived in my street except for my house. i think they still have me living at my last address which no longer exists! If I ask them to remove my details what info do i need to give them? Might it be better to leave them with the wrong details that are nearly 3 years out f date?

findmypast.com

for all information pre-1994

In the unlikely event that I ever research my family tree I won't be using that site. I've just entered the details of three seperate people who I know the birthdates, marriages & deaths of & they do not hold any record of them. :rolleyes: