You're European now

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So the Lisbon treaty has been ratified and passed without a referendum of the people of this country. Why would a government that is already unpopular with a PM who is unelected do this?.. and its not just the current government, the opposition parties seem to be backing down on this now too.

My thoughts are, following exodus of manufacturing industry from this country over the last 20 years and the slow but sure exhaustion of the North Sea oil deposits that have been propping up this country followed by the banking crisis the country is actually broke.

We need Europe to bail us out :cool: Gawd help us all.

Anyone else with any thoughts?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, can't blame the opposition, what can they do? no point Cameron having a referendum when it is a done deal, although that "has " to be a way of Cameron saying feck right off to Brussells when he gets in, this, I tell you, is the thin end of the wedge!

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Hate politics, always have.:mad:

Hardly pay any attention to it. All a bunch of T**sers IMO.

Does this mean we will be using the Euro soon?

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Yep, can't blame the opposition, what can they do? no point Cameron having a referendum when it is a done deal, although that "has " to be a way of Cameron saying feck right off to Brussells when he gets in, this, I tell you, is the thin end of the wedge!

I agree its a done deal now and the Euro currency will follow very soon :cool:

Its not the thin edge of the wedge though its the thick end, the only way out now is to resign from the EU totally and try to stand alone in the world. We couldn't afford to do that 20 years ago so I'm sure we cant now.

I wonder if our Police will get to be the same as the European ones, and basically give any yobs/hoodies etc a good old fashioned kick up the ar$e.

Zero Tolerance and all that.

Now that would be nice;)

I quite like the idea of the euro, at least we wont be charged to change pounds to euros and euros to pounds and if we don't want to have a euro why not just call it a pound?

Why do we still need a passport to cross the channel? Once across you can go anywhere without one.

Anyone been across the channel lately? Every other Euro citizen seems more affluent than us.

Why do we get the third degree from customs when leaving or returning to the UK? No customs in mainland Europe.

Why does Britain allow customs to act illegally and against EU legislation when it comes to bringing tobacco and alcohol into the UK?

Why are we the only country to have smoking police? Other EU countries just ignore the smoking laws.

Why do we still expect our workers to work 60+ hours a week for a living wage? They don't across the channel.

Why are out tobacco products and alcohol prices so high when they are a fraction of the cost across the channel?

Other Eu counties seem to be coming out of recession so why not us?

Perhaps I quite the idea of being fully part of the EU. Any one else for a better life?

I agree wholly on theses, but can you clarify a couple of points to me (only been abroad once and that was only for 3 days).

Why do we get the third degree from customs when leaving or returning to the UK? No customs in mainland Europe.

Could have sworn there was customs at Malaga airport when I went:confused:. They searched my hand luggage. I must admit, it was 3 years ago though.

Why does Britain allow customs to act illegally and against EU legislation when it comes to bringing tobacco and alcohol into the UK?

How are they acting illegally? You are only allowed about 3500 cigarettes pp when coming from the EU to here. Maybe that's the point you are making, as I said, I think I am way behind the times.

Why are our tobacco products and alcohol prices so high when they are a fraction of the cost across the channel?

Now this one is not a question, but it has always baffled and annoyed me. Most cigarettes are made in Nottingham, England and we pay (by far) the highest price:evil:.

The United States of Europe.

I don't see a problem with that, at least everyone speaks proper English innit.

:)

Excellent initials.. USE...:rolleyes:.... as if we aren't used already 8)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

The 3,200 cigarette and 3Kg of tobacco limit is totally against the free movement of goods within the EU policy so any limit is against EU law but our government has imposed it and is rigourously enforced by c & e. It wasn't that long ago that not only did you lose your cigs etc but lost your car as well.

There is one bad thing about the EU that I neglected to mention, they drive on the wrong side of the road.

When you went to Malaga, that would have been similar to going from Dover to Calais. So going from UK to another EU country. Bet if you'd gone to Germany from Malaga you wouldn't have seen any customs officials or been searched. In fact, the only way you would have known you were in a different country was by the road signs and the language of course.

Thanks for the info

There is one bad thing about the EU that I neglected to mention, they drive on the wrong side of the road.

That's funny that, because when I was over there, they said the same about us:razz:.

I did ask a local whilst in Spain, "Can you tell me where the other side of the road is por favor?"

He said "It's over there (yes he spoke English)"

I said "Some B*****D said it was over here":-|.