• Tweets

• 05.05.24 Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.   My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working. From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK. I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme. It listed a few pension companies : Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson. We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme. Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen. So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company. I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered. So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next. I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company. Thanks for any help.
    • Well I sent them the letter of claim, the only responses so far was a few emails reopening the claims on the parcels where they asked for information such as proof of value (which I get) but other things like photos of the parcels, which I haven't got as I never took photos of them. It's been well over the 14 days since I sent the letter now anyway, so what do you think I should do now?
    • Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
    • Since you were stopped at the time there is no requirement for the police give you anything there and then or to send you anything before they have decided how to deal with the offence.  They have three choices: Offer you a course Offer you a fixed penalty (£100 and three points) Prosecute you in court  The only option that has a formal time limit is (3). They must begin court proceedings within six months of the date of the alleged offence. Options (1) and (2) have no time limit but since the only alternative the police have if you decline those offers is (3) they will not usually offer a course beyond three months from the date of the offence and will not usually offer a fixed penalty beyond four months from that date. This is so as to allow time for the driver to accept and comply with their offer and to give them the time to go to option (3) if he declines or ignores it.  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, the action they take will usually be in accordance with the National Police Chiefs' Council's guidance on speeding enforcement. In a 40mph limit this is as follows Up to 45mph - no action. Between 46mph and 53mph - offer a course Between 54mph and 65mph - offer a fixed penalty Over 65mph - prosecution in court So you can see that 54mph should see you offered a fixed penalty. Three weeks is not overly long for a fixed penalty offer to arrive. As well as that, there has been Easter in that period which will have slowed things down a bit. However, I would suggest that if it gets to about two months from the offence date and you have still heard nohing, I would contact the ticket office for the area where you were stopped to see if anything has been sent to you. Of course this raises the danger that you might be "stirring the hornets' nest". But in all honesty, if the police have decided to take no action, you jogging their memory should not really influence them. The bigger danger, IMHO, is that your fixed penalty offer may have been sent but lost and if you do not respond it will lapse. This will see the police revert to option (3) above. Whilst there is a mechanism in these circumstances  to persuade the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level (rather than in accordance with the normal guidelines which will see a harsher penalty), it relies on them believing you when you say you did not received an offer. In any case it is aggravation you could well do without so for the sake of a phone call, I'd enquire if it was me.  I think I've answered all your questions but if I can help further just let me know. Just a tip - if you are offered a fixed penalty be sure to submit your driving licence details as instructed. I've seen lots of instances where a driver has not done this. There will be no reminder and no second chance; your £100 will be refunded and the police will prosecute you through the courts.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

You're European now

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If England joins the USE, that only counts up to the Tamar! :D

Ha, missed that one.

I'll just drop my efforts on this thread I think, as no one really seems remotely interested in my viewpoint. Getting some consensus with my outlook was my motive in starting this thread. That's ok. I'm not wallowing in self-pity! :lol: If people that disagree post I will still do my best to respond solely to what they say and nothing more.

The anti-European brigade is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with that one. :razz:

Bookworm, just for the record, I know you to be a very decent and fair individual from what I have seen on these forums. Even if you aren't in the 'anti-European brigade' I am confident you would agree it was a HUGE injustice that we didn't get a referendum on the matter?

And I don't believe in shapeshifting reptilians in case anyone wondered. :eek:

Edited by renegotiation

What sort of world do you want your kids to grow up in?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I think I'm going to probably withdraw from this specific discussion after this post as I'm fast gaining the picture, renegotiation, that you have convinced yourself that Europe has taken over this country to such a degree that no amount of contrary statements, or facts, from any of us are likely to change that view.

Again, I believe you have read one online source (from www.truthseeker.co.uk) and have allowed it to colour your thinking. Incensed by this outrage, you have then searched the relevent sections of the treaties yourself, and, upon finding reference to the death penalty as 'investigated' by Mr Stewart (truthseeker's founder), now wave them feverishly as confirmation.

The problem here is not that myself, Bookworm, or anyone else denies the existence of the articles to which you refer; it's that we do not agree with yours and Rixon's interpretation of those articles.

Let me put it more simply. Your statement "22 states [in Europe] reintroduced the death penalty yesterday and I don't think it will be too long before the other 3 follow" is simply wrong. No state has reintroduced the death penalty, and nor would it.

Spurred on by what you've read on the truthseeker.co.uk, I think you've snatched at the few articles that make provision for exceptional circumstances (such as war, in which - let's face it - all moral compasses tend to go a little haywire) and are now, like a dog with a bone, refusing to let go. Consequently, this isn't a discussion; it's simply you saying "I'm right" over and over again.

I can't speak for Bookworm or anyone else, but I personally feel that continuing to try to discuss this issue with you is not actually going to lead us anywhere. Indeed, I strongly believe that further opinion or statement contrary to your / Rixons belief on this subject will only result in you convincing yourself that we are "trying to make me [sic] out to be a 'wally'", which will inevitably lead to personal, rather than rational, response when you "stamp my [sic] feet a little bit."

For the record, I am strongly against legal support for, or even passive acceptance of, capital punishment. However, the opinions you've got from truthseeker.co.uk don't especially alarm me, partly because I dismiss them as the blitherings of a paranoid Euro-skeptic, but chiefly because I don't see that they constitute - or are even relevent to - the subject of capital punishment being introduced or reintroduced as a punitive response to criminal acts.

Edited by Tezcatlipoca

just received this very important email:

---The English Penny

EU Directive No. 456179

In order to meet the conditions for joining the Single European currency, all

citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland must be made

Aware that the Phrase "Spending a Penny" is NOT to be used.after 31st December 2009

From this date the correct terminology will be

"Euronating".

Thank You for your attention

i still won't be able to vote.

upon turning 60 recently, with the exception of my much beloved bus pass - all i got from the government was an invitation to partcipate in a self bowel screening.

thanks for that!

Bookworm, just for the record, I know you to be a very decent and fair individual from what I have seen on these forums. Even if you aren't in the 'anti-European brigade' I am confident you would agree it was a HUGE injustice that we didn't get a referendum on the matter?

Honestly? Storm in a teacup as far as I am concerned. I really don't care that much. You see, as a Frenchwoman who spent most of her adult life in other countries than her native one, the concept of Europe is built in me in such a way that I can't even start to comprehend an idea of NOT having a Europe.

You mention the USA and corruption. What you don't mention is the glaringly obvious: that the US couldn't and wouldn't have become the most powerful country in the world without being the US of A. And talking of the US, the state and federal powers are well and truly divided, with very little federal interference, to the point where some (MOST! :-() states still have the death penalty, whilst a handful of more enlightened have declared it anticonstitutional. The laws on everything from how many wives you can have to speed limits vary from state to state. And funnily enough, they have the same mistrust of other states as Europeans do.

Our world is getting smaller, like it or not. First, it was my shelter, your shelter, then it became our tribe, then our village, our city, our county, our country, and now we're on the verge of our continent. One day, hopefully, it will just be our world. Me, I'm already there as I have always thought as myself as a citizen of the world.

So, referendum or lack thereof? My dear, I don't give a damn... It would only delay the unavoidable anyway. :razz:

And I don't believe in shapeshifting reptilians in case anyone wondered. :eek:

You heathen! :shock: STONE HIM!!! :-D

Our world is getting smaller, like it or not. First, it was my shelter, your shelter, then it became our tribe, then our village, our city, our county, our country, and now we're on the verge of our continent. One day, hopefully, it will just be our world. Me, I'm already there as I have always thought as myself as a citizen of the world.

Precisely my view, and very well put.

So there's no truth in the statement that, 'the Death penalty can be given to anyone who mentions 'GINSTERS' pasties', as I was given to understand on a different thread.. :confused:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

Sorry Tez, forgot to say the above doesn't apply to vegetarians.* :-D :-D :-D

It's only a matter of time before you realise the error of your ways and come and join the cool kids... ;)

Although on matters of grammar, we're agreed. Can somebody please correct the thread title?

I think there should be a referendum with regards to the thread title and whether it should be changed or not.....

Just because two people have decided it should happen it doesn't mean the whole country agrees.

Not only that, there is the health and safety issue of the OP. IF he is not wearing his reflective jacket and he falls off his chair in the path of a passing Hoover when he reads that he has been CAGbotted, there could be a claim against CAG and Injury lawyers 4 U would be notified in due course..

Just a thought.... we must do things democratically and not endanger others by our decisions.. :cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

If there was any way to categorically prove 100% without a shadow of a doubt that someone was guilty of a serious crime ( There must be some innocent people in prison ). Then shoot/hang the buggers.

Unfortunately, the law is an

donkey.jpg

If I got hung/shot for committing a serious offense, I certainly wouldn't do it again.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Nah, I'd rather have steak and be uncool. Although next time I'm in Brighton, I'll buy you a veggie burger just to show I really do live and let live, what say you? :razz:

I have a better idea. How about, the next time you're in Brighton, I buy you a veggie burger..? ;)

Ah ah ah, you fell into my trap! I actually LIKE veggie burgers, in fact they're the only type of burgers I would eat! (I don't actually classify burgers as meat... whole different debate however. :razz:)

Sod'em, you said:

If I got hung/shot for committing a serious offense, I certainly wouldn't do it again.
which is a very good point. On the other hand, if you got hung/shot even though you HADN'T committed a serious offence, it would be REALLY difficult to set things right for you and your loved ones. :razz:

The problem with the final solution is that it is, well, so final... :razz:

I was reading something last night funnily enough, where it was being argued that in the US at least, condemning someone to death is actually a lot more expensive than sending them to jail in perpetuity, as they were more likely to exhaust all the lines of appeal to get their sentence at the very least commuted, and the cost of all the lawyers, prosecutors, appeals, counter-appeals, pardons etc... + the jail time (upwards of 15 yrs, let's not forget!) cost an absolute fortune, whereas a life sentence would "only" entail the cost of the jail term itself, thereby effectively saving huge amounts of money to the taxpayer. An interesting concept, if you can't appeal to people's better feelings, appeal to their wallets. :-D

I know what I said Bookie, but that bit was put in as an edit (as I wanted to add it after submitting the post).

Unfortunately you are not allowed to add smilies whilst editing a post. Otherwise you would have got one of these:p. I know it is impossible to commit another offence on this plain if you are dead (unless said crime was planned before death). That was the joke:D.

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Hmmm...I think I'm going to probably withdraw from this specific discussion after this post as I'm fast gaining the picture, renegotiation, that you have convinced yourself that Europe has taken over this country to such a degree that no amount of contrary statements, or facts, from any of us are likely to change that view.

You got that one right. :)

Again, I believe you have read one online source (from www.truthseeker.co.uk) and have allowed it to colour your thinking. Incensed by this outrage, you have then searched the relevent sections of the treaties yourself, and, upon finding reference to the death penalty as 'investigated' by Mr Stewart (truthseeker's founder), now wave them feverishly as confirmation.

No, I have read several articles. And if you had even bothered reading the 12 line truthseeker article, which was just a brief but very honest synopsis, you would see that it only referred to what Professor Schachtschneider investigated.

The problem here is not that myself, Bookworm, or anyone else denies the existence of the articles to which you refer; it's that we do not agree with yours and Rixon's interpretation of those articles.

Well, that's not what you said earlier! See here:

I personally am unfamiliar with a recent reintroduction of capital punishment in any European state.

You make it up as you go along.

Let me put it more simply. Your statement "22 states [in Europe] reintroduced the death penalty yesterday and I don't think it will be too long before the other 3 follow" is simply wrong. No state has reintroduced the death penalty, and nor would it.

That's exactly what they did and we are at war! If it was never going to happen, then why would it be there?

Spurred on by what you've read on the truthseeker.co.uk, I think you've snatched at the few articles that make provision for exceptional circumstances (such as war, in which - let's face it - all moral compasses tend to go a little haywire) and are now, like a dog with a bone, refusing to let go.

You sound silly. You keep seizing on one small article on truthseeker like a 'dog with a bone' that was factually correct. You then keep knocking the article solely because of the site it appeared on without offering any logical objections to the veracity of the article. You then seize on the provision which refers to 'times of war'! Well, as I mentioned, we are at war. You also ignore that it also refers to 'imminent threat of war'. Anyhow, I don't even think it is ok to execute people at 'times of war'. If the metaphorical **** has hit the fan so hard you wouldn't need any legislation. It would just happen anyway. Think about it. What is absolutely astounding is that you ignore Explanations 3A(a), (b) and ©:

"(a) Article 2(2) of the ECHR:

"Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article

when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:

(a) in defence of any person from unlawful violence;

(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully

detained;

© in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection."

You are seriously trying to present yourself as someone using reasonable arguments? It's ok to kill someone to effect a lawful arrest or someone doing a runner? That's open to all sorts of abuse. When the hell is humanity ever going to ever learn?

Consequently, this isn't a discussion; it's simply you saying "I'm right" over and over again.

I think that's exactly what you are doing, not me.

I can't speak for Bookworm or anyone else, but I personally feel that continuing to try to discuss this issue with you is not actually going to lead us anywhere. Indeed, I strongly believe that further opinion or statement contrary to your / Rixons belief on this subject will only result in you convincing yourself that we are "trying to make me [sic] out to be a 'wally'", which will inevitably lead to personal, rather than rational, response when you "stamp my [sic] feet a little bit."

It's up to you whether you respond or not. I honestly don't think you are capable of rational debate on 'this matter'. I reiterate, it was Professor Schachtschneider that pointed out the facts. I only make rational responses. You can't even answer simple questions. I see that you are still trying to avoid the following question tooth and nail:

Would you fully admit that the people have been denied a voice, which was even promised to them, and that this was incredibly wrong then?

I know full well why you won't answer. Why not just say you refuse to answer it and be done with it?

For the record, I am strongly against legal support for, or even passive acceptance of, capital punishment. However, the opinions you've got from truthseeker.co.uk don't especially alarm me, partly because I dismiss them as the blitherings of a paranoid Euro-skeptic, but chiefly because I don't see that they constitute - or are even relevent to - the subject of capital punishment being introduced or reintroduced as a punitive response to criminal acts.

Well, we definitely agree on something then. For the last time, the person that pointed out the facts of the matter was Professor Schachtshneider. My opinions are my own and others will have their opinions. Yet again, you seem to ignore the following like it isn't there:

"(a) Article 2(2) of the ECHR:

"Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article

when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:

(a) in defence of any person from unlawful violence;

(b) in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully

detained;

© in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection."

I am genuinely amazed.

Edited by renegotiation

I know what I said Bookie, but that bit was put in as an edit (as I wanted to add it after submitting the post).

Unfortunately you are not allowed to add smilies whilst editing a post. Otherwise you would have got one of these:p. I know it is impossible to commit another offence on this plain if you are dead (unless said crime was planned before death). That was the joke:D.

Just edit it and type in : ) without a space in between. :)

Honestly? Storm in a teacup as far as I am concerned. I really don't care that much. You see, as a Frenchwoman who spent most of her adult life in other countries than her native one, the concept of Europe is built in me in such a way that I can't even start to comprehend an idea of NOT having a Europe.

Fair play, but just like Tez you still haven't answered my question. Step up and answer please. It's a perfectly reasonable question. Or even just say you aren't going to answer. You just give your opinion and ignore the question. Do you think it was a great injustice that the U.K. was promised a referendum and didn't get one? And i'm disappointed you aren't outraged that they ignored the French vote regardless of your personal opinion.

You mention the USA and corruption. What you don't mention is the glaringly obvious: that the US couldn't and wouldn't have become the most powerful country in the world without being the US of A. And talking of the US, the state and federal powers are well and truly divided, with very little federal interference, to the point where some (MOST! :-() states still have the death penalty, whilst a handful of more enlightened have declared it anticonstitutional. The laws on everything from how many wives you can have to speed limits vary from state to state. And funnily enough, they have the same mistrust of other states as Europeans do.

Look at what the U.S.A. gets up to in the world. It's disgusting. The people have hardly any say in what goes on. Did you know that the Federal Reserve even lends them their own currency? They are like gangsters.

In theory it's great, but it won't work. I used to have exactly the same view as you. The corruption will just kill it. It will be hell and just lead to massive upheavals.

So, referendum or lack thereof? My dear, I don't give a damn... It would only delay the unavoidable anyway. :razz:

If it is 'unavoidable', then they shouldn't have a problem with referendums then!

Just briefly going back to your points in the 'European Convention Of Human Rights', which you did indeed correctly refer to as the 'origin' of the new laws I talking about, I want to briefly say a couple of things. The exceptions didn't make it legal for executions to be carried out in countries signing up to it. That would still be up to each nation. It just set minimum standards and created no laws. Now they have shunted some of that text into the 'Charter Of Fundamental Rights Of The European Union' and ratified that through the Lisbon Treaty the goalposts have been moved. That is now European Law. It's tricky to get your head round it, but was a minimum set of standards that didn't necessarily apply to any state is now legal (possible) in 22 of the 25 member states! Tell me, why didn't they just ditch it? Or even if they didn't ditch 3B, then why not ditch 3A? It was from over 50 years ago and outdated anyway. I don't think you were aware of what they had done and may try to argue that the de facto situation is the same. However, in my opinion there is something not quite right here and i'm not barrel scraping.

Edited by renegotiation

As was my tongue-in-cheek reply, my dear. :-D

No-one GETS me around here! :-(

Fair play, but just like Tez you still haven't answered my question. Step up and answer please. It's a perfectly reasonable question. Or even just say you aren't going to answer. You just give your opinion and ignore the question. Do you think it was a great injustice that the U.K. was promised a referendum and didn't get one? And i'm disappointed you aren't outraged that they ignored the French vote regardless of your personal opinion.
That's because I don't have an answer: Was it a great injustice? I don't know. That's the answer. I don't care. that's the opinion. Can't really make it clearer than that, there's no need to tell me to "step up" as I had somehow failed some kind of test. Unlike lots of people, if I don't know the answer to a question, I refrain from answering it. It's a simple concept. ;-)

Look at what the U.S.A. gets up to in the world. It's disgusting.
Not disagreeing with you there, but that's irrelevant to what I was addressing, that is the POWER which they yield by the sheer fact of being the US of A. Likewise with the ex-USSR. No doubt what they were doing left a lot to be desired (understatement of the year, lol), but they were nevertheless exponentially more powerful as a union of countries than as they are now, a scattering of independent countries. "L'union fait la force" as we say in French. ;-)

The people have hardly any say in what goes on.

On the contrary. Between the Senate and Congress, people who want to have a say have probably more opportunities than most other democracies. The fact that most Americans are so disenfranchised that they let a few powerful lobbies rule things is a different story altogether, and that's where the real issue is, not the actual way the american system is set.

In theory it's great, but it won't work. I used to have exactly the same view as you. The corruption will just kill it. It will be hell and just lead to massive upheavals.

Corruption can be found at village level as well as international. Some of the worst examples of corruption and dodgy dealings were set at school committee levels. And my god, were these mothers RUTHLESS or what? I swear they'd put Imin Dada to shame! :razz:

As far as the rest of your post goes, we'll have to keep on disagreeing. I see no evidence anywhere that the death penalty has been or is being reintroduced in European countries, and I am fairly confident that it's not going to happen any time soon either. :-)

That's because I don't have an answer: Was it a great injustice? I don't know. That's the answer. I don't care. that's the opinion. Can't really make it clearer than that, there's no need to tell me to "step up" as I had somehow failed some kind of test. Unlike lots of people, if I don't know the answer to a question, I refrain from answering it. It's a simple concept. ;-)

I don't believe you. :p A government promises a referendum to its people on the issue of transferring sovereignty to another body, a monumental issue, and you claim you don't know if it is a great injustice that it was then denied? :rolleyes: You are not that stupid. You think i'm a Euro-skeptic zealot nut and don't want to give my side of the argument any ammo by agreeing with me at all. I said 'step up' because you were avoiding answering. If the roles were reversed and the pro-Euro lobby were denied a referendum on something they were promised I would admit it was a great injustice. That's democracy!

Not disagreeing with you there, but that's irrelevant to what I was addressing, that is the POWER which they yield by the sheer fact of being the US of A. Likewise with the ex-USSR. No doubt what they were doing left a lot to be desired (understatement of the year, lol), but they were nevertheless exponentially more powerful as a union of countries than as they are now, a scattering of independent countries. "L'union fait la force" as we say in French. ;-)

We could be a 'European Alliance' and still exhibit power. We don't need a political union. And how would you have liked to have been on the receiving end of their 'power'? By supporting such power, even if only as a concept, you are giving them legitimacy. I know you aren't cheering on their invasions!

On the contrary. Between the Senate and Congress, people who want to have a say have probably more opportunities than most other democracies. The fact that most Americans are so disenfranchised that they let a few powerful lobbies rule things is a different story altogether, and that's where the real issue is, not the actual way the american system is set.

What do you think 'The Patriot Act' was about? It was purely devised to stop the people having a voice. It's a 2 party system with a political overclass. The parties are completely controlled by private interests. The only way they could force real change is through force. It's got that bad. Personally, I think it's all going to collapse anyway.

Corruption can be found at village level as well as international. Some of the worst examples of corruption and dodgy dealings were set at school committee levels. And my god, were these mothers RUTHLESS or what? I swear they'd put Imin Dada to shame! :razz:

Sure, but the higher level and more widespread the corruption the harder it is to root out.

As far as the rest of your post goes, we'll have to keep on disagreeing. I see no evidence anywhere that the death penalty has been or is being reintroduced in European countries, and I am fairly confident that it's not going to happen any time soon either. :-)

If law isn't evidence I don't know what is. It's in the 'Charter OF Fundamental Rights Of The European Union' as I have stated. Here it is:

Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I reiterate, this is now European Law. Law is law. This is nothing to do with the 'European Convention On Human Rights' that just guaranteed minimum standards. We are now at war so the death penalty can be enacted and lethal force can be used to arrest people or stop them escaping. Like I said, when will we ever learn. This is real.