• Tweets

• I think final version of WS now prepared with exhibits added.  All numbered properly. Of course it can still be tweaked if necessary. Laura will not need it on 25 June as that is just a Preliminary Hearing for her to represent her son. But as DCBL messed up and thought it was WS time why not prepare things calmly in advance. Defendant's WS - versione 3 + attachments.pdf
    • Your case shows the idiocy of employing a solicitor to do things you could easily do yourself. Had Countryside dealt with their own case they would have entered judgement on 4 June and there would have been no way back for you. But they thought they were clever by running to Rachael and Sean of BW Legal for a more "professional" (aye, right) service.  These dodgy solicitors can only make money on private parking cases by doing everything on the ultra cheap and certainly cant check the judgement date for every single separate case. Ho!  Ho!  Ho! Anyway, glad you got the defence filed OK. The next stage is that the central bulk court will send out a simple form called a Directions Questionnaire to you and to Countrywide which is part of the allocations process to your local court.  If you read this short thread you will see all the stages of the court process  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406892-highview-parking-anpr-pcn-claimform-urban-exchange-manchester-claim-dismissed/#comments
    • It is already trespass, nothing further needed to make out trespass. Not sure where ‘interference with goods’ helps you / how you’d bring a claim for that that stops them parking there.
    • Thanks Dx,    For some further information, the holiday was booked as a package holiday for 2. One of the 2 had to be changed, and changing costs £700 for a new flight as "tickets had been issued and they cant do a name change". I cant quite figure out how compensation works for things when it comes to package holidays.    From what I can tell  - The plane was due to land in Turks and Caicos to drop off passengers, something happened during descent, resulting in technical fault.  - The rest of the original flight from Turks & Caicos -> Montego Bay was cancelled  - A New flight was put on today, which was then delayed by 1.5hrs aswell  - Hotel was provided for the night after much hassle.  - 1.5 days, 2 evenings of holiday lost  If I understand correctly, since the original flight (LHR -> Turks -> Montego Bay) was cancelled, they are both entitled to a refund on that full flight? I can't quite work out if they are only entitled to a refund for the equivalent of Turks -> Montego Bay, or for the full LHR->Turks->Montego Bay, since it was issued as one ticket/all Virgin, and they should have arrived yesterday..?)  I can't work out how to get the cost of that compensation, or whether its a set figure, and how the loss of days of holiday is factored in   I am aware:  If you received less than 14 days’ notice of the cancellation, you are generally due compensation, awarded in pounds or euros depending on where your flight was due to depart from, according to the following scale: £220 / €250 for all flights of 1,500km or less (e.g. Glasgow to Amsterdam); £350 / €400 for all flights between 1,500km and 3,500km (e.g. East Midlands to Marrakech); £520 / €600 for all other flights (e.g. London to New York). Compensation will be reduced by 50% if the arrival time of the replacement flight doesn’t exceed the arrival time of the original flight by: two hours for flights of 1,500km or less; three hours for flights between 1,500km and 3,500km; four hours for all other flights. So I "think" its £520pp for the flight part as compensation (7500km)... but some sites say its a full refund for the flight... is it both?  Thanks,  Ryan  
    • Our business was only transacted digitally as I was not in England at that time.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

LINK Financial? Check this out...

emandcole
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The info that is missing are not prescribed terms....however does your copy have the name address and postal address of both debtor and creditor as Per HHJ WAksman in Carey v HSBC and Copies Documents and Cancellation Notices Regs 1983?

m2ae

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It MUST [THE COPY] according to HHJ WAKSMAN in Carey v HSBC and Copies Documents and Cancellation Notices Regs 1983 contain the Postal Address and Name of Creditor and Debtor.

The info that you have mentioned are not Prescribed Terms and ALSO not HIGH LEVEL omissions that would confuse YOU the debtor.

HHJ wAKSMAN stated that the absence of Name and Postal addresses of Both Creditor and Debtor was Important enough to be in the COPY.He pointed to the above regulation as not authorising that omission even though they may have appeared low level.

m2ae

m2ae

I will look what r prescribed terms and where should the be on the front page of CCA and what should be included in said terms.

Flaminscoty.

By the by can anyone following this thread do me a big favor and post up the infamous "be so kind as to send your defence to us" letter?

I lost mine and would like to send a copy to OFT ta very muchly.

Flaminscoty..

m2ae

I will look what r prescribed terms and where should the be on the front page of CCA and what should be included in said terms.

Flaminscoty.

By the by can anyone following this thread do me a big favor and post up the infamous "be so kind as to send your defence to us" letter?

I lost mine and would like to send a copy to OFT ta very muchly.

Flaminscoty..

Hi Flaminscoty,

I believe that I will shortly receiving a claim from Link. If I do and I also get asked to return my defence to them, then I will post the letter up.

Jeff.

To all on the tread update from flaminscoty.

1. I am in the process of reporting link to the OFT.

(problem) they will not deal with me direct as a member of the public!

has to come from organization such as CAB.

2. made a formal complaint to my MP B Jenkins(Con)

he has passed it on to his pa who is dealing with they are taking this complaint very seriously!

3 I now have to go back to CAB who should have made a super complaint in the first place!

4. Any more help out there providing me with documentary evidence to send direct to OFT would be much appreciated!

5 OFT has sent a copy of guidelines and it would appear that link are in breach of nearly all of them!

OFT are warming up an investigation now!

Flaminscoty..

I've recently been made aware of attempts by an opposition to introduce the postings of caggers to the court, in some way trying to obtain an advantage over the defendant. In my particular thread I think the oppostion would be stupid to do this as it merely reveals to the court what a scummy company they really are.

However, given the fact that DCA's are not known for their intellectual prowess I am erring on the side of caution and including the following.

I give credit to Citizen B for taking the time to let me know about it, and great credit to the cagger who introduced it to the forum and posted it for us to learn from - Dad, as he is known.

The following links will help any other reader to gain better understanding and to realise the significance of the inclusion.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...t-2814871.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/show-post/post-2843442.html

Litigation privilege notice

This thread exists exclusively to assist me in preparing litigation against another party. As such it is almost certainly protected by litigation privilege.

The legal requirements for claiming litigation privilege are well established and are not in dispute. Communications between a solicitor or the client and a third party will be protected by litigation privilege where the communications are for the dominant purpose of obtaining legal advice in connection with, or conducting, litigation reasonably in prospect : Re: Highgate Traders Limited [1984] BCLC 151.

Copyright information: Alll information contained in this website , associated websites, and forum posts are copyright Reclaim The Right Ltd. If you wish to use the information on this site for publication elsewhere , then please email the site adminstrators for permission.

I got a very colourful postcard from them this morning to call them urgently. I thought that wasn't allowed anymore?!

If it's not in an envelope and reveals that they are trying to collect a debt (eg it has their address on) I believe this is not allowed as it removes your right to deal with the matter with dignity and privacy. Complain to trading standards and ask them to refer to OFT Licensing Section on your behalf if they feel your complaint is valid.

They might need a push to do this but they should do it if appropraite, dependent on what's on the card.

Ooooo pretty.

Must have run out of red ink, perhaps that was originally supposed to be blood?!

It has their address on which can be checked by anyone nosing into your affairs and the message 'call urgently' suggests something is wrong. I'd say it's a bit deceitful as you're being asked to call about something you may have no knowledge of.

Complain anyway, keep the scumbags busy :D.

Hi all,

fancy a laugh have a read of the following this is directly off Sinks website no joke.

LINK Financial :: FAQ

I didn’t borrow money from LINK , so why am I being asked to pay you?

Just as your previous lender had the right to receive repayments from you, they can also pass on the rights to this debt to another company. In your case, your debt has now been passed to us. You shouldn’t be alarmed by this: LINK has more than two million customers, and like them you will find us fair, helpful and sympathetic.:eek:

What’s the legal basis for this? LINK Financial, and the lenders we work with, operate strictly within UK consumer credit law. The legal term for your debt is a ‘chose in action’, and under Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925, we send our customers a ‘Notice of Assignment’ letter. This confirms that your debt is now with LINK Financial.

I’ve sent a cheque to my original lender. Is this a problem?

No – they will pass the payment on to us. But remember that this will take time and means a delay in paying off, or reducing, what you owe. Always make future payments to LINK directly.

Will you add interest to my debt?

The vast majority of the accounts serviced by Link do not accrue interest during the collections process. We try to negotiate the repayment of the outstanding balance with you without adding any additional costs. The Notice of Assignment sent to you clearly specifies if interest is being applied to the debt. However if we are unable to reach an arrangement-to-pay and the account is passed to our internal legal team, then, statutory interest will be charged up to the point of entry into judgement.

A small but specific section of accounts are charged interest throughout the collections process. These are particular personal loan balances and the interest amounts applied by Link are charged at the pre-existing contractual rate and up to the maximum amount that would have been charged by the original lender had you not defaulted on the loan.

So sink have admitted that s136 of LOP 1925 applies so therefore s196 applies. The part about statutory interest is completely wrong as we all know under "The County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 si1984".

The first part is good for you emandcole I quote "Just as your previous lender had the right to receive repayments from you, they can also pass on the rights to this debt to another company. In your case, your debt has now been passed to us."

They have actually put this cr@p on their website. Useful though if you get my drift:wink:

Begs belief

Pumpytums

Hi all,

fancy a laugh have a read of the following this is directly off Sinks website no joke.

LINK Financial :: FAQ

I didn’t borrow money from LINK , so why am I being asked to pay you?

Just as your previous lender had the right to receive repayments from you, they can also pass on the rights to this debt to another company. In your case, your debt has now been passed to us. You shouldn’t be alarmed by this: LINK has more than two million customers, and like them you will find us fair, helpful and sympathetic.:eek:

What’s the legal basis for this? LINK Financial, and the lenders we work with, operate strictly within UK consumer credit law. The legal term for your debt is a ‘chose in action’, and under Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925, we send our customers a ‘Notice of Assignment’ letter. This confirms that your debt is now with LINK Financial.

I’ve sent a cheque to my original lender. Is this a problem?

No – they will pass the payment on to us. But remember that this will take time and means a delay in paying off, or reducing, what you owe. Always make future payments to LINK directly.

Will you add interest to my debt?

The vast majority of the accounts serviced by Link do not accrue interest during the collections process. We try to negotiate the repayment of the outstanding balance with you without adding any additional costs. The Notice of Assignment sent to you clearly specifies if interest is being applied to the debt. However if we are unable to reach an arrangement-to-pay and the account is passed to our internal legal team, then, statutory interest will be charged up to the point of entry into judgement.

A small but specific section of accounts are charged interest throughout the collections process. These are particular personal loan balances and the interest amounts applied by Link are charged at the pre-existing contractual rate and up to the maximum amount that would have been charged by the original lender had you not defaulted on the loan.

So sink have admitted that s136 of LOP 1925 applies so therefore s196 applies. The part about statutory interest is completely wrong as we all know under "The County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 si1984".

The first part is good for you emandcole I quote "Just as your previous lender had the right to receive repayments from you, they can also pass on the rights to this debt to another company. In your case, your debt has now been passed to us."

They have actually put this cr@p on their website. Useful though if you get my drift:wink:

Begs belief

Pumpytums

Certainly is, thanks pumpy!

Well, finished the response to the court yesterday and I'll drop it in tomorrow. Interestingly enough I was able to point out (after including the OFT stuff on what defines a creditor), that if Sink insist they are not the creditor in an effort to wriggle out of liability then they have essentially followed a criminal path instead.

Clearly, if they insist they are now not liable for the damage as they aren't the creditor their litigation amounts to fraud and attempted theft by deception as only the creditor has any right to litigate.

How dumb can you get? Seriously!

Either way they remain wholly liable, just their choice if they wish to incriminate themselves as well :p. Have pointed this out to the court as an after thought and respectfully asked the court to allow the counterclaim to continue.

Can't see any reason for this to be refused now the judge has been supplied with the info he requested. When I hear more I'll post it up.

Lowell Financial (Monument) No CCA - File Closed ** WON**:D

1st Credit (Citi Financial) No CCA - Credit Report Marked 'Satisfied' ** WON **:D

American Express No CCA - Pending

RBS Mint No CCA - Pending

CL Finance (Morgan Stanley) No CCA - In Court:eek:

HSBC - No CCA - In Court:eek:

Link Financial (MBNA) No CCA - Pending

Just a little extra. Wasn't too happy that the claimant could start this action then discontinue leaving me with costs so had a look through the civil procedure rules and found this.

Court’s powers in relation to misconduct 44.14

(1) The court may make an order under this rule where –

(a) a party or his legal representative, in connection with a summary or detailed assessment, fails to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order; or

(b) it appears to the court that the conduct of a party or his legal representative, before or during the proceedings which gave rise to the assessment proceedings, was unreasonable or improper.

(2) Where paragraph (1) applies, the court may –

(a) disallow all or part of the costs which are being assessed; or

(b) order the party at fault or his legal representative to pay costs which he has caused any other party to incur.

Normally for small claims each party has to pay their own costs but as I was unhappy with the way Sink had acted, especially with the upheld complaint by Trading Standards in my favour I have applied in my counterclaim for full costs to be awarded to me due to their misconduct.

The court and/or Sink can't argue that attempting to perverse the course of justice was either reasonable or proper so having used 44.14 1B highlighted above in support of my request I'm interested to see how Sink try to get out of that one :D.

Hi emandcole,

would the "Injury to credit" have to be in the form of a counter claim? If so would it be possible to put the amount at the discretion of the court? I really want to counter-claim but I can't afford the £300 fee after it's allocated.

Pumpytums

Hi emandcole,

would the "Injury to credit" have to be in the form of a counter claim? If so would it be possible to put the amount at the discretion of the court? I really want to counter-claim but I can't afford the £300 fee after it's allocated.

Pumpytums

Believe so yes. Mine went in at the end of my amended defence and once they discontinued I was then informed that the claim would be proceeding on its own merits. I had to pay the fee for the counterclaim sum when I submitted it.

I've actually only paid around £125 (to secure up to £5000 or so) but did this on the understanding that I could pay more in later on as I was more able to determine the level of damages I was asking for. Sink had after all made it hard to accurately assess this at the time.

My thinking was that this was enough to secure a nice win and as I'm doing this partially as an experiment in an effort to 'forge the way' so to speak I was prepared to risk losing a little as the bigger picture was more important. So, if I were to be awarded more I would technically lose out as I'd only be able to secure the amount I'd paid up to.

However, it's very much the principle and would also be a warning shot across the bow of Sink. My aim is to beat them, secure damages and show them that their business model with it's crappo documentation exposes them to considerable risk of counterclaim if they meet with someone who is prepared to fight them.

As CAG continues to grow and more people get fed up with having financial institutions treat them like dirt the moment a cash flow problem hits them the hope is that the majority will fight them instead of the minority, as is currently likely to be the case.

Eventually of course this will be crippling for a DCA as they have to meet the costs of litigating on the back of poorly documented debts :D.

I don't know if I'm on the right thread I'm new to the site :-)

I have been ignoring letters from Link concerning a credit card debt. I then recieved one of their court letters from Northampton CC. I sent Link the letter asking for my credit agreement but also sent the court a letter outlining what I had done. This was 8 weeks ago and only today I had a letter from link simply saying 'This claim has been transferred to Cardiff county court for enforcement'

I have now sent Link the second letter for failing to respond and a covering letter informing them I class the non return of My £1.00 fee as theft.

Have I gone about this the right way ?

Cheers

Snapper 1207

When I got into financial difficulty, I got a debt management company to manage my debts on my behalf. Out of my numerous creditors, only GE (now Link) are being completely unreasonable (you guys have probably heard all this before!!)

They took me to court even though I had been made redundant and are charging me such a shocking rate of interest that, even though I am paying them a monthly amount, my debt to them is escalating rather than reducing.

The debt advisory company are little help and say "yes, we always have problems with Link". Today I got 2 letters from Link (I have 2 separate loans with them) in which they detailed the interest I am incurring:

The interest Link are charging me since we went to court in December 2009 is almost £2,500!!!! :mad:

Weren't these debt advisory companies set up to help us get out of debt? I also thought creditors were suppose to be more cooperative (how naive am I!!)

Can anyone suggest what I can do to dig myself out of this hole? :confused: When I went to court, the debt advisory company said I should ask the judge to make a reduction in the interest rate a condition of their ruling - but the judge said it was nothing to do with them. I was then advised to go to the CAB with a copy of my original finance agreement. HELP!!!!!!

Many thanks for any advice you can give me...

I don't know if I'm on the right thread I'm new to the site :-)

I have been ignoring letters from Link concerning a credit card debt. I then recieved one of their court letters from Northampton CC. I sent Link the letter asking for my credit agreement but also sent the court a letter outlining what I had done. This was 8 weeks ago and only today I had a letter from link simply saying 'This claim has been transferred to Cardiff county court for enforcement'

I have now sent Link the second letter for failing to respond and a covering letter informing them I class the non return of My £1.00 fee as theft.

Have I gone about this the right way ?

Cheers

Snapper 1207

Northampton County Court Bulk Centre is where claims are usually started electronically on-line...CPR rules dictate that they are then automatically transferred to the County court in the area where the defendant lives in.

You have been ignoring correspondence from Link...This is never good practice with any lender/DCA...at the very least YOU should be on the offensive.

You should send these statutory requests by RD and keep the evidence.You should also keep receipts of any envelopes that their correspondence has come in...

Can you be more precise at to the nature and content of the letters they have sent you without disclosing identifiable data of your agreement.

It would be helpful if you set out the chronological events so that I and others may know exactly where you are at and what the appropriate response should be at this time...

m2ae

Hi Jana & snapper,

I would suggest making new threads in the legal sections make sure you put Link in the title help should follow.

Jana did you ever send a Subject access request to GE or a CCA request?

Snapper you need to work very quickly. Did you ever acknowledge the claim from Northampton? Did you submit a defence?

Pumpytums

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's been a while but heard back from the court this morning that my counterclaim has been allowed to continue after being reviewed for legal credibility.

It's been filed for a date in October and I now have to get some more money paid to the court as the claimant and issue the other side and the court with my papers etc.

Good news I'd say as the judge wrote a while back asking me to explain how Link are liable and to set out in law the basis of my claim. Clearly the judge has examined the case and the case law I provided and decided I indeed have a case against Link. Guessing someone at Link will not be happy with this at all :lol:.

Can you imagine if I succeed? It won't set a precedent but others will then be able to reference my case in their counterclaims and list it as 'persuasive' to support their own cases. Link quite simply are really on very dodgy ground now.

The default notice they provided was inspected by the original judge and rejected as invalid. They were given an opportunity to provide another, although realistically I could have had that dismissed as the one they registered with the CRA was the one they used and no other DN was issued to correspond with any new date with the CRA's.

As the invalid DN forms the basis of the claim for injury to credit they are going to have a near impossible job of refuting the invalid DN was registered when I provide the print off in my evidence bundle. Case law supports the fact that I do not need to prove loss, the mere registration of this DN is enough damage in itself.

If Sink have any sense they'll try very hard to get this settled without a hearing as the future implications for them are huge. This is without the 'attempting to pervert the course of justice' complaint I made about them that Trading Standards upheld and passed on to the OFT. The judge will love that when they learn what they've been up to!

Will keep you posted.

So, looking good then :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D