What Made You Want To Swear Today?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to print our boarding passes and the likes pronto as we are flying on Friday. Goes to use my printer and all the ink has dried up due to lack of use. Went to my local Cartridge world and it is nearly 50 quid to get replacements for my model of printer. Haven't got time to wait to get cheaper ones delivered. We now have a message from the worlds worst airline (bet you can guess who it is) saying that their website will not be available on Friday or Saturday for printing boarding passes. If they have to print them for you at the airport, they charge you £40 per person:-(. We have exactly one day to sort it. It looks like I will have to join my local library to use their printing service.

Also, I saved the boarding passes as a PDF file on my desktop, but when I open it, it is just blank.

FFS airline I cannot mention, get your act together. Why when you buy a package holiday can the company not tell you who you will be flying with before they take your money. At least then you can cancel.:-x

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

Doctors different opinions!

Have been referred to a neurologist due to recently having a car accident of which I have no recollection (first in over 30 years of driving) no other party involved and may have been caused by a blown tyre.

Seen my own GP today (same surgery) for some results of blood tests which the other doctor ordered (all clear) and was advised that because of the referral, I now have to contact DVLA for their opinion on whether or not I am allowed to drive.

My own GP would not have referred me as it appeared to be a 'one off' and highly unlikely that it was drive error and the fact that I cannot remember anything would be down to the trauma of the accident and having been knocked out for a period of time!

I would question how the DVLA have medical opinion of whether you are allowed to drive or not. You need to ascertain the cause of the accident to back up what happened, as you say a blown tyre.

From the Direct gov site:-

After telling the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about your medical condition or disability, DVLA’s medical advisers decide if a licence can be issued. Find out what happens once you have told DVLA about your health condition and how they make a decision.

It seems they have medical experts to assess your condition Determinator, I'm just scouring the site to find the form to fill in, perhaps I will leave it now and check it out tomorrow. I also plan to speak to the assessors as I'm not sure if the car is inspected because it turned over and they automatically write off a vehicle that has gone over.

Were there any witnesses? Did the police attend? If so they will report if there was a an object in the road, swerving to avoid but as you say the assessors will know if it was a problem with a tyre. I was in an accident where I hit the windscreen some years back. Fortunately I knew what caused the accident straight away, but I was groggy after being knocked out for a short while. Idiot hit me head on, lost control of his car driving too fast round a corner from his side of the road.

Edited by determindator

Many years ago I had a blown out tyre and there was a period of time before the impact that I remember losing control of the car. It was so long ago that I didn't need to wear a seat belt. I found myself lying on the central reservation of the M5 and my car was on the hard shoulder with only the passenger door open, and all windows broken. It looked like it had spun off the central barrier (which I had to pay to replace!), but I never worked out how I was thrown out of the car or the impact - just heading towards it. I thought I was going to die.

I came to the conclusion that I must have blocked out what finally happened because it was just so frightening/horrific. )Incredibly my only injury was a small bump on the head.) Wonder if that's could be what happened to you too dotty.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

In both our cases we had a reason for the accident which is what Dotty is looking for the DVLA. It is a massive trauma Caro as you have experienced. I did have a seat belt on which fractured on impact so I hit the windscreen, but the inertia before that happened stopped me going through the windscreen. I remember the policeman saying to me 'you're alive then' just about I thought. It was a road which for some time had a 70MPH limit on which was ridiculous and it seems people lost their lives before it was changed to 40MPH, which I was driving less than that at the time, and speed cameras now in place. I felt like losing consciousness in ambulance but made myself stay awake and keep breathing the oxygen.

Edited by determindator

It's a wonder we're all here and sensible (? :madgrin) with all these bumps on the head in car accidents!!

A blow out would certainly explain the loss of control. Does seem odd that a medical assessor with DVLA would have more clout than your own doctor who has examined you dotty. Hope you get on ok.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Were there any witnesses? Did the police attend? If so they will report if there was a an object in the road, swerving to avoid but as you say the assessors will know if it was a problem with a tyre. I was in an accident where I hit the windscreen some years back. Fortunately I knew what caused the accident straight away, but I was groggy after being knocked out for a short while. Idiot hit me head on, lost control of his car driving too fast round a corner from his side of the road.

I don't do things by half determinator, I had Ambulance, Police and a Fire engine! I've no idea about witnesses but someone must have called the emergency services for me, thank goodness! I have put a call in to the Policeman that attended the scene but he hasn't got back in touch yet so I think I will have to be a bit more assertive now and request a copy of the accident report. My doc said I could get a forensic test done on the car but it would cost a lot of money and may not give any clues!

It's a wonder we're all here and sensible (? :madgrin) with all these bumps on the head in car accidents!!

A blow out would certainly explain the loss of control. Does seem odd that a medical assessor with DVLA would have more clout than your own doctor who has examined you dotty. Hope you get on ok.

Yes that's right Caro, my GP only has the obligation to report a patient to the DVLA if he feels that they are driving and putting others at risk. Both yours and determinators accidents sound horrendous, thank goodness we're all here to tell the tale!

I would question how the DVLA have medical opinion of whether you are allowed to drive or not. You need to ascertain the cause of the accident to back up what happened, as you say a blown tyre.

I was under the impression that normally your GP knew whether you could drive or not. I know with me, I was given a load of papers from the hospital, which amongst other things, said I can't drive and must inform DVLA of this. That sometimes being because visual impairment is generally an older person's problem and they've driven for years until their sight starts going. Whereas, I was born this way and have never had enough vision to drive.

My younger son just had another fit only this time it was in the bathroom he's cut his jaw when he collapsed onto the radiator...............we have had enough **** to deal with so why does the **** end of lifes stick keep hitting us all the f time.....the more fits he has the more I dont want him to go to uni where I will not be able to look out for him

I know the feeling BurlyB, in the last few weeks I had a great-nephew born 7 weeks early - luckily he is okay now and home and feeding well, one scare where he stopped breathing but his mum kept her head and did everything correctly, last weekend an aunt died from Motor Neurone disease, my dad is due to go in hospital for a stent in his heart (second person to have this done this year I know of) as he is 78 and has had a triple bypass in the past it is a bit worrying, and I have blood tests for arthritis and a breast screening appointment.

Added to that lot I've had hassle with the bank yesterday, water company playing silly idiots, sent bill, then two days later final reminder, then two weeks later payment schedule!

However I have brothers 7th wedding anniversary on Saturday, trip to Ireland at the end of June, and a wedding in July.

you wouldnt belive my life over the past 16 years or so sg1................how I'M still here is a miracle in itself

Am pleased that miracles DO happen, then! The forum would be a duller place without ya, burlyb! Sorry to hear abouut your son; hope he wasn't too badly hurt.

Keep your chin up (easier said than done, I know).

OMG - have just re read that last remark - I wasn't trying to be funny; just an unfortunate turn of phrase. Sorry! Hope he's OK xx

Edited by Janie1962

Oh God, {{Dotty, Caro & Termi}} - Thank the Lord you guys are safe and all still here after reading your posts!

My younger son just had another fit only this time it was in the bathroom he's cut his jaw when he collapsed onto the radiator...............we have had enough **** to deal with so why does the **** end of lifes stick keep hitting us all the f time.....the more fits he has the more I dont want him to go to uni where I will not be able to look out for him

I know the feeling BurlyB, in the last few weeks I had a great-nephew born 7 weeks early - luckily he is okay now and home and feeding well, one scare where he stopped breathing but his mum kept her head and did everything correctly, last weekend an aunt died from Motor Neurone disease, my dad is due to go in hospital for a stent in his heart (second person to have this done this year I know of) as he is 78 and has had a triple bypass in the past it is a bit worrying, and I have blood tests for arthritis and a breast screening appointment.

Added to that lot I've had hassle with the bank yesterday, water company playing silly idiots, sent bill, then two days later final reminder, then two weeks later payment schedule!

However I have brothers 7th wedding anniversary on Saturday, trip to Ireland at the end of June, and a wedding in July.

I hope things improve for you BurlyB, and hope you're is okay - and SG? I'm so sorry to hear about your Aunt, it's a terrible disease, my friend just lost her Uncle from it :-(

I wish your Dad well ( let us know won't you?) - and I hope your tests comeback all good! :hug:

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

A friend made a rant about how **** his life is, how he's grumpy, etc. (his wife has cancer) Someone replies with "there's always someone much worse off". A few weeks ago, her nephew died and people shared their condolences and this is how she repays people?

Given the last years I've had health-wise, I would have gladly turned around and smacked someone if they'd said that to me.

Ditto Nys.........and I was just thinking about some of the posts I have put on here and how some may think to themselves that theres no-one who has so much happen to them and that maybe Burlyb is making it up but you could'nt make it up the stuff thats come and still is comming my way and eventhough I have had to endure and am enduring so much I know theres plenty of people out there who are much much worse off than me and there are some who used to be in my group of friends who need a smack in their trap due to the shyte that flows out of theirs..................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr slap them silly nys

I hate it when people come out with that trite little line. Of course there is someone worse off; dreadful things happen to people everyday. It doesn't make my pain any less though, and why should my problems be swept under the carpet with a bland meaningless statement like they have no value and aren't causing me anguish? (I do mean anyone with the 'my' btw, it just flowed better:))

People used to say it to me when I was in hospital as a child, missing my friends, hooked up to whatever machine with people jabbing me with needles all day. It might have been small in the big scheme of things but to me it was everything, and the moment people said that I would feel guilty that I was having that moment of self pity. I was generally pretty good with all the medical stuff that I had, but everyone has to have a down day sometimes and they should be allowed to!

The woman who said that probably thinks it's a good thing to say. Usually it's done with a 'that'll pick them up' kind of mentality, but I feel it does just the opposite.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.