• Tweets

• Morning all, a while since I've been here....I contacted my bank regarding the matter and they took the decision to take "charge back" action against QVC, I initially got the money back and then letters from QVC basically stating I had defaulted on my payments and owed them the money Nationwide had claimed back, just as BF speculated they would. In short I repaid QVC to avoid having debt collectors after me, and having contacted CAB am now in the process of writing to Evri outlining my claim. CAB provided me with a basic template for the letter so I'll see how that goes. Regards.
    • Well you could say that you have pictures where the signs were not on the wall where you parked so would require strict proof of when they were erected . But in any case it was dark so even if a sign was there you didn't see as it was not illuminated. Little point in not having signs that can be seen at night though it obviously makes it easier to issue PCNs and pursue motorists claiming they have breached non contractual contracts whilst breaching those same motorist's GDPR.
    • It fizzled out, they kept delaying the complaints process. In the end I believe they stopped charging me for a bunch of services, unsure if it was deliberate or a mistake so I stopped bringing it up. Ultimately we bought a house and moved out.
    • There are so many factors, and local elections are often far more about local issues and people, but the one previously general rule in a general election are that the hard core Tories vote Tory and hard core Labour voters vote labour   Gaza seems to have dulled both the muslim and Jewish labour votes more than the Tories - and I can see why - but do the muslim voters really think that the Tories will do ANYTHING other than talk and then do whatever the Americans say - and thats support Israel whatever they do first and foremost in real terms? Reform has unquestionably affected the Tory local vote - so should affect the GE vote a bit more, but has largely been factored in - reform isnt new in any way - its all Brexitish although there seem to be far more ex 'conservative' core reform/ukip/brexitish voters than ex 'labour' core voters - about 6-8% of the national vote in a GE seems to me. A little up on prior brexitish/faragits scores But the large swathes of center ground voters who decide who wins the election seem to have utterly deserted the Tories in their millions - although they have gone to labour, libdems and greens - and many real conservatives are in limbo despite Sunak being naturally more a thatcherite than most - his party currently seems far less so. Johnson promised much, and many were taken in, just as people (inc me) made that mistake with Farage in the early days - but we now know that they are self serving liars who can't be trusted with anything - although I still think it likely The Liar will be back - but most likely after the GE (60/40) Starmer is lacking in charisma and presence, but others in his cabinet should shine. But Corbynistas could still cause trouble - another group that seem happy to drag everything down if they think it suites   Johnson perhaps could reunite some of the Tory party - but he seems to have numerous criminal and political convistions sitting in the background should he try Lying about giving preference to dogs in the Afghan evacuations - and lying about it Unlawfully proroguing parliament embezzlement re funds and spending (eg flat referb) .. repeatedly Taking jobs before he should after being booted - should lose his PM pension and rights over that IMO the list goes on ad nauseam
    • Hi I am negotiating with my ex (commercial) landlord's solicitor for a debt I owe for rent. This has been going on for a little while and I expect they may go ahead with the court action they threaten. I wanted to ask however, In the event this action goes ahead, I think will have a response pack sent to me from the court, along with the claim. Google tells me that a section of this response pack is a 'Admit the claim and ask for time to pay'. Would this time to pay, if accepted also mean a CCJ registered against me? Thanks
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, I haven't lost patience with you AC. I am going to take you under my wing as a project. :) My job is to educate you I think. Make you think, shed preconceptions, broaden your horizons. I promise I will stick with you. :)

So. Here we go.

Further

2. Beyond; additional; as, a further reason for this opinion; nothing further to suggest.

I have a credit card. I am given a credit limit of £1000. It is a facility I can chose to use or not, at my discretion.

This is like cars - I might have two and can choose which I use, or whether to take the bus.

This means that if I use a credit facility that has already been extended to me then this is not something 'beyond; additional'. It is an existing facility that I might chose to use.

The alternative, using the car analogy is to suggest that if I use my second car to go to work instead of the bus I am obtaining a further car? No, I'm not, I'm just using the one I already have. Nothing new about it.

I do think that extending a credit limit, or taking a new loan or CC would qualify, but simply using an existing credit facility does not.

I appreciate you are getting frustrated, I know that when I was studying and trying to get my head around vague or unfamiliar concepts it could get me quite cross. There is no shame in changing your mind you know, and no shame in asking for help.

We are debating what the OFT means. I suggest you contact them and ask them. I'm fairly certain they will say you are wrong. Or ignore you. One or the other.

You really do not seem to have grasped my point.

You get your Credit Card statement in with a nil balance

Wayne the DCA threat monkey rings you up and demands £100 or he will send the baliffs round to seize your firstborn

You decide to give him your Credit Card details so as he can filch £100 from your account.

Result is you now owe the Credit Card company £100.00

Did they give you this hundred quid or did you borrow it with the intention of paying it back

I REST MY CASE

No need to get stressed. This is an internet forum, where folk debate things. No sense getting stressed just because someone disagrees with you.

I see exactly your point, I just disagree with your interpretation and conclusions. :D

I accept that it is borrowing, it is just not new borrowing because the borrowing has already been agreed and the facility exists for you.

Further, I doubt the OFT would say that this circumstance would fall under the guidelines because dcas could never know whether it is a charge or credit card, or whether there is an overdraft attached to it. The result of both of these chains of thought is that this practice is not against the oft guidelines.

I think we need to see what the OFt has to say on the point. We've both presented our arguments.

Fancy a wager? If I'm right how about you change your signature for one month to 'Kraken is the CAG king and I am his subject. By they way - Kraken is nothing to do with a dca'.

I'm willing to post similar on my signature, suggest something. Then we can both toddle off to the OFT and compare answers.

How does that sound?

PS - sending the bailiffs around to seize firstborn is against the guidelines, I'm sure.

I accept that it is borrowing, it is just not new borrowing because the borrowing has already been agreed and the facility exists for you.

It's irelevant whether it's new borrowing or not. With a CC agreement you have the facilities to borrow up to a certain amount, until you actually use that facility you haven't borrowed anything ergo if you owe £500 on your credit card & Grabbit & More come along and pressurise you into paying them £300 and accept payment via CC they have encouraged you to extend the amount you have already borrowed. Your original CC debt has risen to £800 + interest.

• Haha 1

No need to get stressed. This is an internet forum, where folk debate things. No sense getting stressed just because someone disagrees with you. Om not getting stressed. Believe me you would know if I was stressed

I see exactly your point, I just disagree with your interpretation and conclusions. :D

I accept that it is borrowing, it is just not new borrowing because the borrowing has already been agreed and the facility exists for you. Before you paid the DCA threat monkey using your card you owed nothing. After you pay the DCA threat monkey using your credit card you owe something. Now unless the Credit Card company made you a gift of the money you must have BORROWED it and as you know borrowis the inverse of lend

Further, I doubt the OFT would say that this circumstance would fall under the guidelines because dcas could never know whether it is a charge or credit card, or whether there is an overdraft attached to it. The result of both of these chains of thought is that this practice is not against the oft guidelines. Wrong again!! When the DCA threat monkey enters your card details into the card reader it displays whether it is a Credit or debit card

I think we need to see what the OFt has to say on the point. We've both presented our arguments.

Fancy a wager? If I'm right how about you change your signature for one month to 'Kraken is the CAG king and I am his subject. By they way - Kraken is nothing to do with a dca'. I am not the CAG king and never pretend to be but there are many others I would vote for before you

I'm willing to post similar on my signature, suggest something. Then we can both toddle off to the OFT and compare answers.

How does that sound?

PS - sending the bailiffs around to seize firstborn is against the guidelines, I'm sure.

Yes but it dosent forbid it in the OFT guidelines. On second thoughts they are welcome to mine as he would be better giving them hassle than giving it to me

You're not going to persuade, me, I'm not going to persuade you. Sometimes that is the nature of a debate.

Will no-one take my wager? I really can't see either of us persuading the other unless we get the oft to comment. I can't approach them myself, I dare say that you wouldn't believe the answer... I'm happy to do it but need a partner in crime. I think they are also less likely to ignore more than one letter.

As an aside -

I doubt that a card machine tells a dca whether the owner of that card is using their overdraft or not, though.

A bailiff cannot seize children, and you can't get a WoE without a ccj, so that would breach the guidelines - threatening to take legal action they can't.

Back on topic, how about a new spin?

Borrowing would be defined as a finance facility under a regulated agreement. Under s10 of the act running account credit is defined and being stuff supplied up to an agreed credit limit. Therefore using an existing card is not further borrowing as it is not a new agreement or new facility, nor is it an amendment of an existing limit.

The other option is that we can agree that:

1. it's poor practice and shouldn't happen

2. we can't be certain whether it is against the oft guidelines, only they can comment on this but there are arguments, to a greater or lesser degree, each way.

You're not going to persuade, me, I'm not going to persuade you. Sometimes that is the nature of a debate. Yes so we will agree to disagree

Will no-one take my wager? I really can't see either of us persuading the other unless we get the oft to comment. ]I can't approach them myself, I dare say that you wouldn't believe the answer.Now that is utter nonsense.. I'm happy to do it but need a partner in crimeIm sure diddydickey your alter ego would oblige. I think they are also less likely to ignore more than one letter.

As an aside -

I doubt that a card machine tells a dca whether the owner of that card is using their overdraft or not, though.

A bailiff cannot seize children,Of course they cant but that is just one of the threats PAUL from LINK uttered and you can't get a WoE without a ccj, so that would breach the guidelines - threatening to take legal action they can't.

Back on topic, how about a new spin?

Borrowing would be defined as a finance facility under a regulated agreement. Under s10 of the act running account credit is defined and being stuff supplied up to an agreed credit limit. Therefore using an existing card is not further borrowing as it is not a new agreement or new facility, nor is it an amendment of an existing limit.

The other option is that we can agree that:

1. it's poor practice and shouldn't happen

2. we can't be certain whether it is against the oft guidelines, only they can comment on this but there are arguments, to a greater or lesser degree, each way.

Yes

Ok. I'll drop them a note when I get a chance. If I compose the email for your would you be willing to send it to them? I do think they'll need a few before they answer the question. Pretty please? Do us a favour, be a sport etc? Even though we have basically agreed on a position (as above) it would be nice to know what they thought. At the very least we would then know if it was worth sending complaints or not.

By the way, you are not suggesting that DD and I are the same person are you? If so, it really isn't true.

I'm not sure I follow your bailiff point?

I said: sending the bailiffs around to seize firstborn is against the guidelines, I'm sure.

You said: Yes but it dosent forbid it in the OFT guidelines.

I said: it does.

You said: Of course they cant

apologies if I missed the sarcasm, it is late.

Ok. I'll drop them a note when I get a chance. If I compose the email for your would you be willing to send it to them? I do think they'll need a few before they answer the question. Pretty please? Do us a favour, be a sport etc? Even though we have basically agreed on a position (as above) it would be nice to know what they thought. At the very least we would then know if it was worth sending complaints or not. Thanks, but I am more than capable of emailing the OFT

By the way, you are not suggesting that DD and I are the same person are you? If so, it really isn't true. I never said that but hey if the cap fits

I'm not sure I follow your bailiff point?

I said: sending the bailiffs around to seize firstborn is against the guidelines, I'm sure.

You said: Yes but it dosent forbid it in the OFT guidelines.

I said: it does.

You said: Of course they cant

apologies if I missed the sarcasm, it is late.

Yes you missed my tongue in cheek remark

Yes you missed my tongue in cheek remark

[EDIT]

I have made the decision to try where possible to stay clear of threads that are being contributed to by ODC Mr Ton and Angry Cat (who are far more likely to have the same IP address than myself and Kraken) which i accept may be to the disadvantage of some genuine posters but thats what happens when posts get hijacked by people whose only interest is in making personal insults

(sorry citizen B i know i promised - but sometimes it just has to be said)

Edited by Rooster-UK

This has gone on, far too long!

Reasoned debate is fine. That is what CAG is all about.

We also accept that people have different ideas and opinions. Life would be very dull if we were all the same.

This thread has degenerated into nothing more than a vehicle for hurling insults and sniping.

Quite a lot of leeway has been given on this thread but it seems, still, to be a problem.

If this constant bickering and sniping continues then I will have no alternative than to close the thread, which would be a pity, considering its potential.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Rooster-UK.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Well I'm going to email OFT for further advice anyhow. :)

over and out until the OFT reply (if ever).

If and when they give you a definative answer we will see their views. In the meantime we will have to agree to disagree over what is further borrowing and if using a Credit Card is in fact borrowing.

Yes

this post brought me into a dispute that i left of my own accord ages ago

if you are going to EDIt the posts then i would be grateful if you would be even handed with your censorship and edit me out of this one as wqell

dissapointed- seems to be there is some old pals act going on here

This is ridiculous......there are far to many personal attacks being made! Agree to disagree on this one as there does not seem any way for ODC/Kraken/DD to come to a resolution. People are entitled to their opinions, entitled to voice them, but please can you all refrain from insulting each other!

As for my opinion - If you are struggling to make payments on ANY debt and you then use a credit card (regardless of the credit limit available to you), then are you not creating MORE debt for yourself? Not only would you still owe the DCA the random amount they say you do, but you will now have the CC company on your back demanding re-payments. Also, using a credit card when you know you do not have the means in which to pay back any of the balance owed is surely wrong, and immoral (IMHO).

Therefore, using a CC to pay anyone (whether it be a DCA or even a grocery store) is creating MORE debt for yourself, furthering your borrowing.....If you don't spend on your CC then you owe nothing - spend on it, and you increase your borrowing from zero to £xx. No matter which way you look at it, this has furthered your borrowing as you are indebted to yet another creditor.

Getting into debt to pay a debt is not a good way to manage your finances either - so even on that point, this should never be a way for a DCA or OC to ask for payment.

odc and i have no resolved our differences in private

what god has put together let no poster put asunder!!

This is ridiculous......there are far to many personal attacks being made! Agree to disagree on this one as there does not seem any way for ODC/Kraken/DD to come to a resolution.

Clemma see above post by diddydicky.

We do not agree as to whether the use of a Credit Card is further borrowing. I say it is and have clearly stated my reasoning. DD and Kraken take the opposite view and have also given their reasons. Until someone can get a definative answer from the OFT we will have to continue arguing the merits of our reasoning only without the personal remarks

Well I'm going to email OFT for further advice anyhow. :)

over and out until the OFT reply (if ever).

I hope you dont get the same mashed up reasoning which doesnt actually answer the question.. as I have just received from the ICO in respect of a different question :evil:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I hope you dont get the same mashed up reasoning which doesnt actually answer the question.. as I have just received from the ICO in respect of a different question :evil:

Indeed!

Also, one has to bear in mind that the OFT guidelines on Debt Collection are not the Law, they are simply guidelines and open to interpretation.

Remember, an opinion, is only an opinion.

One really has to look now at the CPUTR's 2008 with came in on the back of a European Directive: UCPD.

Debt collectors have to treat consumers fairly;

they have to follow Codes of Practice.

Thus, pressurising debtors to borrow funds via credit cards when they are unable to repay said monies back, must be 'Unfair Practice.

This is only an opinion.

AC

I seem to recall somebody posting a very detailed response from OFT on an issue last week or so (I keep losing good posts on here despite subbing.. maybe I sub to too many). Each and every time I ask OFT a question I either get the standard reply or I get a copy/paste job of an existing regulation or guideline. Last time I was asking about phone calls to a neighbour and whether doing this intiially without a. writing to me or b. checking with oc /files or even c. electoral roll was acceptable. All I got was that the guidelines did not specify this! Honestly - what are they actually for?

Is there a special 'hot line' or email to the 'M' type person at OFT???

Anyhow - I have asked them about the cerdit card issue and definition of borrowing / furter borrowing so will await and see. It's quite surprising nobody else has had a clear answer on this before to be honest?

and less personal attacks is good. :)