Why let your bank keep your money? Calculating your charges claim

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys

need help regarding bank charges, first how to start, do i have to write any letter to them or just send them spread sheet regarding the charges and asking them 8% interest on them,

i was charged from lloyds bank overdraft bank charges and unplanned over draft charges, as there was no money in my account they keep me charging and build up 580 pounds. and which i paid them.

help me to get that money back please

thanks in advance. just need to know how to start.

regards

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it's not that simple since the Supreme Court found in favour of the banks in November 2009. Govan Law Centre have a couple of cases going, but they could take months, if not years to be decided.

Your best bet for now is if you can demonstrate to the bank that you are suffering hardship, and if they don't agree you can go to the FOS. http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/financial-hardship-unaffordable-lending.htm#2

Be warned though - it can take a year or more to get an answer and there are no guarantees of success.

Read up all you can and start your own thread for advice and support.

Good luck.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

See post 377.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 3 months later...

Could anyone tell me if there are companies out there who will take all my bank statements (if I can get them from Barclay's) and calculate my unlawful interest and bank charges and then help me reclaim them? I've paid tens of thousands of pounds to Barclay's over the years - at one point my monthly overdraft interest and charges was over £300 PER MONTH!

Thanks

I'm afraid not at the moment. Since the supreme court ruling no-one has won a bank charges case.

Hi Mr Positive,

A word of warning - there may still be companies who will take your statements, saying they can get charges back for you.

They may also ask for up-front fees which they promise you'll get back.

But you will get no refund of bank charges or the fees paid to the Reclaim Company. :sad:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 4 months later...
I'm afraid not at the moment. Since the supreme court ruling no-one has won a bank charges case.

Hi caro, bankfodder and anyone else,

Does this mean that Bankfodder's advice of 29th May 2009 (including calculating interest on all charges) is no longer valid for most people, and we are unable to successfully claim bank charges en bloc anymore? The Supreme Court ruling is so unjust :-((((

PCB

Bank charges on current accounts are not now up for grabs.

Not on the same basis as the Test Case was heard on, at least - doesn't mean there aren't other ways to challenge fairness, just avoid using UTCCRhttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/announcement.php?f=24&a=228:thumb:

Have a read of the BCOBS articles in my signature, they are highlighted in green and include the link above :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is free spreadsheet application called OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org)

I have some knowledge of setting up forms. How would I go about creating a form to do the interest calculations?

Presumably, you have a template for each year (month per line), then the top line would have your initial account balance.

You would have your month balance, debits, credits and interest, along with overdraft charges and PPI on each line.

Then there would be an end of month result amount, along with total overdraft charges and PPI.

This would feed into the next line. This would be applied for each year.

There is free spreadsheet application called OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org)

I have some knowledge of setting up forms. How would I go about creating a form to do the interest calculations?

Presumably, you have a template for each year (month per line), then the top line would have your initial account balance.

You would have your month balance, debits, credits and interest, along with overdraft charges and PPI on each line.

Then there would be an end of month result amount, along with total overdraft charges and PPI.

This would feed into the next line. This would be applied for each year.

Save yourself the trouble

You can use these spreadsheets for charges and/or PPI claims

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Hi LFI,

I think that was a link to an announcement which has since been taken down. BCOB's is the way forward if you follow the advice in post #390 above.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 9 months later...

Hi

It looks like you want to calculate a PPI refund.

If so have a read of the article at No.1 in my signature below...it will tell you how to calculate the figures and there are spreadsheets at the end to help you.

If you need further help, start a new thread in the PPI forum here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?111-Payment-Protection-Insurance-(PPI)

This forum is actually quite sickening at times.

If you borrow money from the bank that it is not yours then you should pay for it.

If you can't afford it then don't borrow it. Live within your means and take some responsibility for dealing with your own finances.

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, CAG is not judgmental.

Aside from which, why should banks be allowed to profit from their cynical mis selling of products such as Payment Protection Insurance.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks