Debt collector that doesn't seemed to be registered! - UPDATE/RESULT - SHARK JAILED

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My mum took a loan out back in XXXX. Due to the extortionate amounts of interest and call out charges this company enforces on its customers she still owes XXXX. The original loan was for around £XXXX

My mum has had to go away to visit family and I have been minding the house. The wires for the phone and TV aerial were ripped out when I went round there the other day and a neighbour informed me it was the debt collector from the company she has loaned money off. The company is called M.A.M Finance. When I called my mum she said to leave calling them and that she would sort it all out when she was back, but today a neighbour came to my house to tell me he was trying to break in my mum's house. this has got to be one of the more extreme ways I have heard of a debt collector trying to get in to a debtor's house.

I called the police and made my way round there, but when I got there the debt collector had gone and he had stuck a silicone filler over the keyhole denying me access to the elderly and sick cat I am taking care of. The police came and said when the silicone dried to pick it off and the key would work. When I did that - the lock was damaged. I am now waiting for a locksmith to come out and change the lock but this could take up to 24 hours. I am wondering what action can be taken against him. This is not the first time he has used such scare tactics, and the police do not even seem to be that interested.

I cannot find a number to say the company is registered with anyone and I have no idea about how to go on helping my mum who already suffers with depression and mobility problems. Can anyone give me any information/advice on how to proceed with this?

:confused:

Thanks

NB.....I just found a website for the company but they now seem to be called Urban Cash and not M.A.M Finance. Maybe they trade under both names. I have no idea just thought it might help you to help me (edit)The domain for the site is registered to that company, but that doesn't prove anything does it? How do I find out if the company is registered with anyone?

Edited by 42man
link removed

You Cannot Have What I Do Not Own!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know his identity and/or whereabouts then you are in a stronger position - witnesses prepared to make statements are essential though. Is the neighbour likely to be up for it? If so take it up with the Chief Constables office and make sure that you copy in the local press and your MP.

Fair chance this goon has tried this lark elsewhere so with a little publicity others may emerge to help bring them down.

My neighbour has already given her details to the police and we are waiting on them contacting us to get more details in her case, and follow up in mine. It's ridiculous that people are scared by people like him though.

Does the neighbour have a camera? If not, can you lend him/her one?

I think she does. I am going to see her later on to thank her for the information and also to give her the incident number I have been given because if she calls the police then they'll respond quicker with this I have been told. I wish I could get CCTV up!!!

You have got to catch him on camera and fast. He is causing criminal damage to property and that is an arrestable offence. CCTV cameras are quite cheap and easy to install. Good luck with catching him at it.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Please keep us updated on this.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

This is absolutely appalling, who were the original lenders, is this thug part of that company or is he from a DCA. In my opinion I would get on to everyone I could think of to help. Telephone Watchdog tomorrow, contact the CAB or the local court.

What time of day does this person 'visit' to perform his vandalism? Ask and or insist that the Police take much more notice of this Crime. contact your MP, Daily Newspapers, anyone and everyone you can think of!!

Sorry to go on, but this kind of thing makes my blood boil!!!:mad:

That website is dodgy I must say.

For a start it doesn't display the Typical APR%, the repayments don't add up to the total amount payable (£50.10 x 3 doesnt =140), the application doesn't contain any pre contract info, no consumer credit licence number, no info about how they will process your personal data etc etc.

I wonder if it is licenced or is registered as a data controller?

That website is dodgy I must say.

For a start it doesn't display the Typical APR%, the repayments don't add up to the total amount payable (£50.10 x 3 doesnt =140), the application doesn't contain any pre contract info, no consumer credit licence number, no info about how they will process your personal data etc etc.

I wonder if it is licenced or is registered as a data controller?

Like i said my mum got this loan a long long time ago. She was put on to the guy by a friend so it is possible he is actually a loan shark. Some friend eh? I have been on the OFT site to get some information and the government thing that says report him to the police - which I have today - but they do not seem interested. I am going to start telephoning people locally that can help on Monday, my mum is due back on Tuesday so hopefully I can put her mind at rest a little by then.

I have found that the domain name is registered to the company, but that doesn't actually tell us much does it? Gosh, this is hard work but I couldn't stand it if my mum's health got any worse due to this absolute lunatic.

Thanks for all your help up to now

you say she has had this loan since 1995???????

How much does she pay back a month?

JOgs

To be fair I have no idea. In 199X I was about very young. I know he charges £80 everytime he calls round to the house and he charges £35 late payment charge - that is even if you pay at 1 minute past 12 on the due day. I have no idea what the repayments are but I know she struggles with them because of all the charges he adds on. He doesn't even need a reason to come to the house. Sometimes he'll just turn up and he adds £80 on the total. He has taken goods from the house before too, including stuff that wasn't my mum's. He sells the stuff at auction then, but never takes what he makes off the total.

Edited by 42man

When I lived in Salford this company prayed on the people from the poorer estates, didn't think they would be still operating. If you owe this outfit money, I feel sorry for you, they are like the Mafia.

Tread very carefully, I would not advise contronting any of the collectors without a baseball bat, and a rotwieler and I am not joking

When I lived in Salford this company prayed on the people from the poorer estates, didn't think they would be still operating. If you owe this outfit money, I feel sorry for you, they are like the Mafia.

Tread very carefully, I would not advise contronting any of the collectors without a baseball bat, and a rotwieler and I am not joking

Did any of the people there ever pay off their debts? And we were from quite a poor area ourselves, but like I said it was another woman who gave my mum the number. It's bad that they are allowed to do this though regardless of how "hard" they are. They prey on single women and the infirm by the sounds of it but I need to help. If I can help my own mum then I might be able to help other people in her situation.

I have asked another of the team to have a look at this company :-

From the OFT Register:

Licence / Application / Validation Order NoLicensee / Applicant NameLicence StatusPPB Postcode 0622130

M A M Finance Ltd

Current E1 6SA 1

So they have a license at least.

You really need to speak to Trading Standards and again to the Police.

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Licence / Application / Validation Order NoLicensee / Applicant NameLicence StatusPPB Postcode 0622130

M A M Finance Ltd

Current E1 6SA 1

I don't think this is the same outfit.

Quick Cash only operates in Greater Manchester. It seems that it's run by an ex-boxer called Mike Morris, whilst the licenced company above is run by one Salik, and is registered in Brick Lane, London, as a mortgage broker.

There's no licence linked to the Stockport postcode Urban Cash/Quick Cash use. The website not only looks amateurish, it also lacks details, such as APR, that have to be shown. Note that the link to 'repayment rates' actually goes to a page about boxing promotions run at the same address by another ex-boxer called Mike Armstrong (though I wonder if Armstrong & Morris are the same person). Neither the loan business or the boxing promoters are registered with ICO, unsurprisingly.

In any case, it all looks extremely dodgy.

The behaviour displayed by these people so far shows that this is clearly a matter for the police. However, Trading Standards may well be aware of the loan sharks, and in any case will be able to assist the police in dealing with them.

I don't think this is the same outfit.

Quick Cash only operates in Greater Manchester. It seems that it's run by an ex-boxer called Mike Morris, whilst the licenced company above is run by one Salik, and is registered in Brick Lane, London, as a mortgage broker.

There's no licence linked to the Stockport postcode Urban Cash/Quick Cash use. The website not only looks amateurish, it also lacks details, such as APR, that have to be shown. Note that the link to 'repayment rates' actually goes to a page about boxing promotions run at the same address by another ex-boxer called Mike Armstrong (though I wonder if Armstrong & Morris are the same person).

In any case, it all looks extremely dodgy.

The behaviour displayed by these people so far shows that this is clearly a matter for the police. However, Trading Standards may well be aware of the loan sharks, and in any case will be able to assist the police in dealing with them.

To be fair i think they are the same person. A family member commented on this earlier and said I always thought his surname was Morris when she came across Armstrong on the site. Is it possible that they jusdt have the same company name then, and they are not registered?

You can get at the repayment rates page from

http://www.thequickcash.co.uk/rates.htm

Not that it offers much illumination:

Loan amount 11 weeks ( per week ) 3 Months ( per month ) Payable

£100 £12.70 £50.10 £140

£150 £19.00 £76.00 £210

£200 £25.50 £102.00 £280

£250 £31.80 £127.20 £350

£300 £38.18 £152.72 £420

£350 £44.54 £178.16 £490

£400 £50.90 £203.60 £560