Brunel Franklin - anyone used them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4632 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Or any other company that works to clear your debt

- this one deals with unenforceable credit agreements amongst other things.

Just wondering if they are bona fide or just jumping on the bandwagon.

..thanks for any input :)

Who let the smegs out?

Natwest - SAR requested 13.08.06

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

do it yourself - these companies take a slice!

all the info is on this site

dx

Edited by dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm currently using them for an MBNA card and the answer is-I don't know yet! I approached them and paid an assessment fee of £25 last November. The process seems so slow-I've only just sent back the papers to authoritise the solicitors to act for me.

It's a bit scary when you read through the documents and realise that in the worst case scenario you might end up paying on top of the referal fees and even if you win you could still be paying out for all sorts of stuff.

The solicitors estimate that their fees could be about £2500 which they hope to claim back from the other side and there is an insurance policy in place (£500) to protect you from excessive legal costs, which they pay for you but is ultimately on your bill.It really is not so simple as paying your fee and sitting back while they wipe your debts out.

My feeling is that if you have a small balance do it yourself through the small claims court(is this an option) because costs are minimal, but if you have a big balance it may be worth the extra muscle these guys seem to have.

But who knows?

I too would like a bit of insight into the murky waters of the legal system.

I'll try to keep you up updated on my progress.

Does anyone have any experience with this company? Or any other company that works to clear your debt - this one deals with unenforceable credit agreements amongst other things. Just wondering if they are bona fide or just jumping on the bandwagon...thanks for any input :)

From dealing with claimants across the forums, I have heard some scary stories with regards to what I suppose many would call "ambulance chasers". Not sure of the ones that clear your debt but with the bank charges side of things, some of these companies are asking for money from a partial settlement of bank charges due to financial hardship, and in fact are worsening it by their fees. Brunel Franklin has certainly had a bit of Press(Daily Mail) so I would assume they are better than others. As has been said before though, why use them if the information is here so that you can do it for yourself. In my opinion, do not use a company----there's no real satisfaction in someone else doing it for you.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I've just been checking out Monster Loans in Manchester, I think they might be a better option as they don't want so much cash up front and are more forthcoming about possible legal fees.But the proof of the pudding and all that..........

The scary thing about Brunel Franklin was, their 'consultant' led me to believe you paid the fee and that was that, but the reality is you could be liable for much more later on!:rolleyes:

Guest dvdriley

I dont think I can give you all the facts about BF on this site for fear of legal action..... suffice to say dont touch them with a barge pole !!!!! check out the directors etc

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have any experience with this company? Or any other company that works to clear your debt - this one deals with unenforceable credit agreements amongst other things. Just wondering if they are bona fide or just jumping on the bandwagon...thanks for any input :)

Brunel Franklin are currently handling my claim for Unenforceable Credit Agreements.

I used them because they claimed back £6,000 in unfair bank charges..... very efficiently.

The service was brilliant.

I chose them again as they gave me sound advice and for a debt of 10k I have only paid £295!!

If the agreement does comply with the CCA 1974 they will refund me £250 and thats factual (my friends agreement couldn;t go forward so she has received her refund)

In my opinion if I can walk away from £10k for £295 is a BARGAIN.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

They are probably the most reputable company in the Financial Claims Management arena.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say find a company that does not charge an upfront fee for the assessment. I found a couple; Torston who are in Hampshire and Devon and a company called simply claims up in yorkshire. I went with Torston - too early to say how good as case hasn't started yet. but it isn't costing me anything to find out if the agreement complies

I would say find a company that does not charge an upfront fee for the assessment. I found a couple; Torston who are in Hampshire and Devon and a company called simply claims up in yorkshire. I went with Torston - too early to say how good as case hasn't started yet. but it isn't costing me anything to find out if the agreement complies

How much have you paid to them already? What percentage of your claim do they keep? And do you work for the aforementioned company as you are on a self help forum which deal with claiming for yourself?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

PPI of £3000 they take £862.50 so almost 30% of the claim for them.

Bank charges £2000 they take £575 in charges which is 28% of the amount payable.

Torston are standard CMC. They aren't better or worse than any other CMC.

I would definately be wary oif any company who do not charge for a service !! There has to be a catch and ususally there is - "no such thing as a free lunch!". Bet there is a percentage at the end!!?? Where do you find that money from, as unenforeceable means not paying any further [payments off an outstanding debt, there is no money back>

I have today spoken with these people re acting for me with unenforceacble CCA.

I asked the woman I spoke to about any charges etc, she said that only the £45 wasto be paid by me.

Any other monies that need to be paid would be paid by the other side if it went to court.

She advised that they will not go to court unless they feel that they have a very strong case.

I told her that I was sceptical and had read some stuff about having to pay more, her reply was, just £45 and you will get that in writing?

She said that if there wasnt a strong case they would advise to carry on paying.

I havent paid the £45 as yet, still mulling it over! :)

hi I don't pay anything to Torston.

They don't work for free as such...

they don't charge me

but I believe that they get a referral fee from the solicitor who is handling the case.

Eitherway I feel better about paying the solicitor directly.

The solicitor charges £495 all-in and doesn't take anything else off i.e. they don't charge a % of debt cleared and this will cover all of my legal fees regardless of how far the case goes.

I am personally all-for doing it yourself and using moneysavingexpert/CAG for most things (charges, PPI...) but I just think £495 for legal representation and less-hassle is well worth it.

The other deciding factor for me was that they will put together a seperate case against my lender, if they register anything negative on my credit file (which they shouldn't but I wouldn't put anything past them).

I would just like to add fair-play to anybody that does do it themselves.

If I had more time to research this area and felt more confident with the legal side of it/protecting my credit record, I probably would of gone direct.

• 1 month later...

I was contacted by Brunel Franklin after I had made a web enquiry. The person I was speaking with was extremely friendly and provided comprehensive information regarding Unenforceable Credit Agreements (UCA's).

I was impressed, but slightly wary, as there are many claims companies popping up daily, so I did some research.

They are regulated by the Financial Ombudsman Service, the FSA and the Ministry of Justice, as well as the Claims Standards Council.

There is alot of speculation about whether UCA's are actually legitimate.

There were test cases sent to Chester County Court in April, which Brunel Franklin was at the forefront of. Every claim that went through was successful (i.e. consumers were allowed to walk away fromk their outstanding balance).

From what I can gather these guys really do know what they are doing, they seem to have been around for a number of years.

There is the small matter of the fee. I was advised it was £395. This is not an amount I can afford at the moment.

I was then advised that if my claim was not successful, I would receive 100% refund.

I do think this is something I am going to go ahead with. Its just finding that money.

I would advise to contact Brunel if its something you are interested in. I have had numerous calls from other companies who I found to be obnoxious, dodgy and the sales people completely arrogant!

You aren't in good company with this line of thinking, here, I'm afraid.

Why would you pay for something to be done that can be done free, nada, zilch, exactly?

More here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/198695-validity-claims-management-companies.html

Car2403,

Thanks for your post.Totally understand what you're saying.

However, it's not just a cost isssue. Working two jobs at the moment so dont have enough time to be doing it on my own.

I have learned first hand not to do things by myself..... Bank Charges.

I tried this on my own, and with the help of moneysavingexpert.com. But didn't get anywhere.

I have spoke to a few people regarding these claims companies. They seem to recommend Brunel Franklin.

Thye also have a barrister on their books, who will assess the case. This can cost hundreds of pounds anyway.

I do think I am going to go ahead with them. I will keep you updated with my post!

Please see CSC :: The CSC is changing!

Cheers,

I'm natweststaffmember on moneysavingexpert.com, if you had got into trouble on there I am sure I would have advised you, depending on hardship. Which part of MSE did you use? and when?

Are you looking at bank charges claims?(cos Brunel Franklin will NOT get them bank for you quicker than yourself).

Or unenforceable credit agreements?

Car2403,

Thanks for your post.Totally understand what you're saying.

However, it's not just a cost isssue. Working two jobs at the moment so dont have enough time to be doing it on my own.

You really won't benefit by using anyone else to reclaim Bank charges. It will not take up too much time and you will get all the help you need here.

Just start a thread in the appropriate forum for your bank.

You really won't benefit by using anyone else to reclaim Bank charges. It will not take up too much time and you will get all the help you need here.

Just start a thread in the appropriate forum for your bank.

Agreed, FL.

Actually, even if it's a claim for an unenforceable credit agreement, there's very little work needs to be done because of the history of CAGgers doing this before you - there's very little that we haven't came across on this site and we have some very experienced members who have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, had tea and biscuits with the Judge, then found themselves debt free... All down to CAG...

:eek:

Very little time needed, then. :D

• Haha 1

I was using MSE for the bank charges. I am now challenging for UCA's.

So if I was doing it by myself, where do I start?

Will it cost anyway etc?? (Barrister fees etc...)

THanks for your advice so far... I am actually reconsidering

• 1 month later...

I instructed Brunel Franklin to claim back my PPI in February. In July I hadn't heard anything so rang for an update - it turned out that they hadn't even started it and destroyed the papers I'd initially signed giving them authority to act on my behalf so I would even have had to complete them again if I'd carried on with them. So, after wasting 4 four months, I decided to do it myself with the help of this site.

They were charging 25% plus VAT and disbs of amount claimed back, almost 30% of around £5K. There are cheaper companies but I think I initially chose them because whilst Financial Mail recommend reclaiming yourself, they also say "if you must use a company use a reputable one like Brunel"

After looking at this site it seems that the bank I'm reclaiming from pay up pretty easily so it looks like I made the right decision to go it alone but time will tell!

I too have just been approached by them (not sure how) as I haven't filled in any of those [problem] 'clear debt' forms you see on the internet. I ve not called them back despite getting a few calls from them My concern is apart from fees which I guess they charge- its a conincendece they are based in the same area as MBNA and Capital 1 the 2 card people that are hounding me. I am also now getting over 10 calls a day from MBNA + Captial 1 its really stressful especailly since I've written so many times to their Advocate depts. but no luck. Please update anymore info on Brunel Franklin and I'll do the same.

:confused:

Mericageorge - Brunel are in Altrincham, Greater Manchester. There does seem a lot of financial businesses in Altrincham - maybe because rates/rents are a lot cheaper than Manchester city centre, but not sure.

By the way they sent me a new set of forms to complete (after doing nothing about the first lot they destroyed) but this time haven't had the cheek to ring me!