• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help required with best option for large amounts unsecured debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

been reading up on the forums for a while, like a lot of others I’m in a mess. I’ve got a lot of unsecured credit that as interest rates have risen, has become unmanageable, 

It’s pretty embarrassing facing up to it, and I probably should have done this a lot earlier instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

All debt is currently up to date but I’m paying out more than I get in. If I don’t face this now, I’ll end up missing priority debts out within a month or 2 max, or leave my disabled wife or kids short.

Mortgage debt- £180000 over 2 mortgages, payments £1600 per month- TSB & 2nd charge from oplo (taken out to extend the house and build a shower room to help my wife)

tsb open since 2007 and oplo 2019

Obviously they (with my ct and utilities) are must pay.

unsecured debts current balances 

Aqua card, £6000 £300 pm opened 2016

MBNA cc £14000 opened 2019 £250 pcm

Tesco card 1 £3000 opened 2019 £90 pcm

tesco card 2 £1000 opened 2016 £40 pcm

vanquis card £2600 opened 2013 £146 pcm

very £4500 bnpl due November opened 2018

virgin money card £9300 opened 2019 £245 pcm

zopa credit card £3000 opened apr 2022 £90 pcm

zopa loan 1 £9700 only opened jan 2023 £300 pcm

zopa loan 2 £8200 opened march 2022 £220 pcm

nb - I’ve had a number of zopa loans paying off then refinancing- so I’ve been in debt to them for about 3 years

sky mobile devices - £2700 - £146 pcm opened 2019

elfin market - £1900 - £90 pcm opened 2020

Livelend loan £7500 - £246 pcm opened 2019

mycommunity bank - £9200 - opened 2021- £300 pcm

novuna - £521 - £23 pcm opened 2019

secure trust - £850 £21 pcm opened 2022

TSB unsecured loan - £20000 - £491 pcm - opened 2022

TSB credit card - £3500 - £100 pcm - opened 2007

duologi finance - £2000 - £70 pcm - opened 2021

ive also got studio account with no balance, 1 capital one card with £500 with no balance

I’ve a car that could possibly fetch £12-14k (camper van I did up) but if I just sold that, and carried on, that would literally only buy me a couple of extra months.

i figure I’ve got to do some kind of arrangement with TSB. They are my current account provider, and following the advice here I’ll setup a parachute account with starling. However they also have my main mortgage, happy to take advice from here.

I have to pay very, I’ve family who work in the back office. I couldn’t face them chasing me for payment.

I earn approx £4500 after tax pcm, have 2 kids and a wife whom cannot work due to illness, and built a lot of the above up when building costs overran, and later burying my head in the sand.

All solely in my name

i would be happy to setup pro rata payments that are sustainable, but if I have to play hardball to get there- so be it.

thanks in advance for the understanding.

two points -

stuff very - throw the morality card out the window.

keep your van.

get all your income going into your parachute A/C .

stop paying ALL non priority debts now

the quicker they default you the better.

THEN look at entering each one into your pro rata scheme as each registered default appears on your credit file.

never never ever respond to talk/text/phone.

ignore the deforestation coming your way.

i will guess as you have not said, your credit file is clear - no registered defaulted dates yet?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply,

Point noted re:very, and my van, appreciate it. 

credit file still clean currently.

I’ll get the parachute account and income sorted for there.

then stop all payments to non priority debts.

ignore all until defaults registered

then offer, in writing only, pro rata payments based on proportion of the individual debt vs available spare funds?

I’ll keep reading all the self help materials here in the meantime so I’m ready.

Thanks again 

:cheer2:

magic wish everyone else bothered to do their reading up like you obviously have here.

regards

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Please do keep reading up and make sure you keep all letters for your benefit. Store them somewhere safe. 

I would suggest Monzo or Starling for opening a parachute account - Some retail banks are owned by other ones and right to offset may occur. 

The 2 I mentioned are not owned by any big bank and could be good to manage our money going forward during this time (Spend Analysis on both is great!) 

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Going to buy a filing box to store them.

Starling looks good, that’s who I’m going for. 
I really like the idea of the money management aspect of it too, going to need it :)

Thanks

Edited by gerrardrocks

As a long standing member here I have loads of experience in not paying these kinds of debts and find the advice here sound.

I would totally agree with DX in post 2, keep your van.  (I got a VW bay window 1974, she is not going anywhere!).

In your situation I would stop paying the unsecured debts, including VERY, stuff the morality and shame.

I would also establish a savings account and put as much as you can afford that you would otherwise have paid towards your debts into that account.   All of those debts will eventually be sold to debt buyers and maybe one to two years down the road one of those buyers might successfully beat you in Court (though if you follow the advice here then a good chance that wont happen) and if they do then you have a reserve available to pay that debt off before they get it secured on your property.

If after six years you have got those debts to the Statutory Barred stage you will have a nice little pile of money to do something with.

Given the shear number of debts you have got you might consider buying a car boot mobile phone and a pre pay SIM and advising your creditors of phone number change before you stop paying.   Once the onslaught of calls starts your car boot phone can take all the calls whilst it sits on your kitchen window, leaving you in peace!

• Like 1

For the love of all things holy, stop paying them all. All that matters are your essentials, Mortgage, Food, C tax etc etc.  

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Really appreciate the non judgemental responses, thanks means a lot.

that’s a really good idea about the savings fund, I’ll see if I can do that.

As for the phone- will that work? Or do you think they’ll just go back to my existing number? 

With regard to the phone it cant hurt to try.

My guess is that the creditors will start to use your new number and keep a record on their system of the old number.

However, I speculate that when they sell the debt on they may not pass on the historical number, just the new one, but it IS just speculation, cant hurt to try, other wise you will get six to ten automated calls a day, not necessarily a problem if you have the right mental attitude but they will be using automation to call you so why not use your own automation to answer them!

by the way on the one occasion I tried this it worked.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update- 

I’ve completed an I&E with step change, all online,  so that I’ve a realistic budget and they advised that if I entered a dmp around £450 pcm- so I’ll aim to put that aside as a contingency each month. Obviously not intending to do this but at least I’ve got a reference number and have a budget worked out in a similar manner to the library on here.

I’ve got my Starling bank parachute account setup, next step is to set my wages up for being paid into there, and I’ll create a sub savings account for the savings fund.

I’ve cancelled all my non priority direct debits. 

:cheer2:

8 minutes ago, gerrardrocks said:

Obviously not intending to do this

10/10

dx

and they

Suggest you put your savings with someone other than Starling, try ford money or Marcus from goldman sachs or similar on line accounts.

There is always the possibility down the line that Starling will freeze your account for some reason, they may not like your new credit record or something else.

You will at least have access to your savings for the period of the freeze.

Might not hurt to get another current account as well, a few on line out there.  I am paranoid now and don't trust any bank.

Thanks for the advice on the savings accounts, I’ll go with the ford one looks easy to setup. For the 2nd extra bank account, would monzo or chase be suitable? 

Just read your post again, surely they couldn’t totally freeze it if the account itself is in good standing- not saying that they couldn’t inform me of a closure, but not withhold funds from wages etc- how would I be expected to feed my kids? 

Happened to me twice.

If they think you are dodgy for any reason they will report you to the national crime agency and suspend your account and refuse to speak with you until the NCA advise that they are not interested.

Either of those accounts, or both would be good.

• 4 months later...

Thanks,

Updates

im starting to see default notices coming through, 

One major update - mycommunity finance (Brent shrine) sent me a default notice 20/10

exactly 11 days later I’ve had a letter before claim, from town and country debt collection. It has come with the standardised i&e and court advice attachments.

how on earth can they immediately issue that? There has been no notice of assignment.

thanks

Redacted pdf file of letter attached 

2023-10-31 T+C PAPLOC Brent Shrine Credit Union Limited TA My Community Bank.pdf

its not been sold, it says our client.

hit letter of claim follow post 2

dx

and they

Now that the Default notices are starting to arrive get a spreadsheet started.

Start to record dates and events.  You can calculate the Statutory bar date and the yearly anniversaries.  gives you something to aim for.   by 2029 you will be free!   (Comes quickly enough!).

Thanks guys,

I’ll get the spreadsheet going, as you say gives me a target!

As for the letter of claim, all understood, just one query, how best to word my reasoning for disputing- is it because I’m disputing it as they haven’t proven that I owe them anything (as they aren’t the oc or have purchased it?)

was shocked tbh by how rapid they went for a letter of claim
cheers

no reason yet, just use the default thats already mention in those exact words.

and they

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update,

1) Zopa, via email, has offered to consider a discount (quoted below)

“Please contact us urgently so we can talk about setting up a manageable repayment plan. If you are able to raise some funds, we may be able to offer you a discount to settle your outstanding balance at a reduced rate.”

Does that imply that they think the debt may be unenforceable or just them cutting their losses? I’ve not responded.

2) I sent the letter to respond to the letter of claim eventually 17th Nov, as per the information templates, and the postal order. I sent it Royal Mail signed for, I checked the tracking today, and it still says “accepted at post office”. So not arrived, or more likely not signed for? I’ve kept copies and photos of the letter. 
not sure if this is a tactic of theirs or just genuinely tracking issue/lost?

thanks guys! 

there is never a need to use signed for.

it doesn't work to po boxes etc as most firms use mailing centres.

follow the guide next time, 2nd class stamp with free proof of posting is all thats needed.

do not respond by email phone etc.

could there be a case of irresponsible lending here? was your file shot with defaults and lots of lending already in debt when they gave the loan too you?

that could be the reason.

dx

and they

On the email, that thought has definitely crossed my mind, they did next to no checks and it was obvious how much debt I was in, they didn’t ask for anything at all, they don’t offer discounts unless they think they might be on a sticky wicket?

As for the recorded letter (that I sent to the address in the letter I attached earlier in the thread, not Zopa ) duly noted, I’ll just obtain proof of postage next time and not signed for, I was alarmed by them going straight for court proceedings, do I need to resend the letter by normal post again, or is it ok as it is?

Will I receive correspondence with a court date should they actually go for it?

thinking about the process, should they not respond to my CCA request within 30 days, are they not in default?

I’ll go do some more reading this evening.