"The letter" regarding libel case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5637 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

..... I haven't even donated yet but can imagine those who have and are on benefits will be rather peeved.

I'm on benefits, have contributed, and will do again as soon as I can.

Well I donated earlier and have no regrets about doing so and will do so again when I can. Having got to know how selfless the admins at CAG have behaved over the last 2 1/2 years since I first joined BAG or CAG as it is now, I fully back the way they have dealt with this and don't feel I have been misled in any way.

Carry on BF :)

Well said Bovvered.

To be honest, I am just going to start stating the same thing over and over again.

The CAG does not have the CHOICE whether to give in to the blackmail or not and just post the apology - they CANNOT AFFORD TO DO ANYTHING OTHER.

If they do not, and defend the claim, they are risking the site, and all the donations offered, on a fruitless cause.

We've seen a few references to Churchills wartime speeches on here in the last couple of days.

It seems Lord Haw-haw is around too ... "LB calling... LB calling..."

Go for it BF and Dave, I think we have to trust your judgement and let you decide what's best.

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because Mr Shed is advocating apologising doesn't make him one of the enemy, does it? I thought this was a site where people were allowed to have their own opinions. He is entitled to his opinion, just because it may not agree with the party line doesn't make it wrong.

Just because Mr Shed is advocating apologising doesn't make him one of the enemy, does it? I thought this was a site where people were allowed to have their own opinions. He is entitled to his opinion, just because it may not agree with the party line doesn't make it wrong.

No hes not the enemy, hes expressing his views and while i dont agree with them i will defend his right to hold those view for sure;)

however, the point is that you should never back down from a situation which you are in the right and believe in what you are doing

Did Morris and Steel in the Mclibel case back down? no they went all the way to the EctHR and won, the little man can win, but to simply give in, (when you know all the facts as they are) is not an option, this site is about fighting for what you believe in, standing up to bully tactics, and doing what is right.

imagine if Churchill had taken this view that Germany is just too strong so we should give up?i mean the Germans were better equipped than us, more heavily resourced than us, its the same scenario really, just different opponents ,what would have happened then?

it is not a real option to back down, given what is the facts of the case.

I wholeheartedly agree that people are entitled to their opinion, and I respect Mr Sheds opinion. I thought twice before commenting, and didn't really want to be part of the in-fighting amongst ourselves, but decided to go ahead as he does seem to be getting rather forceful with that opinion.

Sorry if I upset you, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers

Rob

No offence taken ;) but thanks for sticking up for me Wendy :)

We are indeed 110% on the same side, and both have the same end result in mind - the continued success of the forum. It is just that on this issue, we wholly disagree about the route to take to come to this same end result.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

No offence taken ;) but thanks for sticking up for me Wendy :)

We are indeed 110% on the same side, and both have the same end result in mind - the continued success of the forum. It is just that on this issue, we wholly disagree about the route to take to come to this same end result.

Of course wendy's going to stick up for you, she's a prominent member over the road :rolleyes:

Even if you look at the disaster scenario there are many options. If CAG ceased to exist the members would still be here on other sites, I think most are registered there anyway I know I am on two others I just prefer this site.

The value of the site is its members who will always be posting somewhere.

I have 5 kids and am trying to sort out xmas for them on a budget of 300 as well as two of them having birthdays in the next few weeks, moneys tight but I have donated and will continue to donate,

I do not belive that an apology will end things, this issue has been dragged up so many times that the only way to end it once and for all is to fight back, Thank you for being open and posting the letter as it gives everyone the chance to make up their own minds. I used this site back when the incident first came out and it caused alot of upset, please lets not let that happen again

all my best

Sam

Of course wendy's going to stick up for you, she's a prominent member over the road :rolleyes:

And your point is?

Am I prominent?? I have not hidden the fact that I am a member of LB. My user name is the same over here as there. To my knowledge I've never spoken to Mr Shed before and if he is a member of LB then it must be under a different name.

I was merely pointing out that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have mine, Mr Shed has his, you have yours. To be honest, from Robcaqs post I thought he was saying that Mr Shed was like Lord Haw Haw, I was trying to point out that he wasn't an LB spy or troll or whatever, just an individual with his own opinion. End of.

I personally just happen to agree with Mr Shed, that's all.

To be honest, I fail to see what being a member of LB or not has to do with this in this instance. I am not brainwashed and any posts are made under my own capacity, with my own thoughts. I call it as I see it. Surely if I really wanted this site to close down, I would be disagreeing with Mr Shed and urging CAG to go for it, lose all their money and bankrupt the site, wouldn't I? It has already been pointed out on various threads, both here and on LB, that none of the members want an us and them situation. Some are actively trying to avoid this. Others, it would seem, take every opportunity to encourage it and bring it to the fore.

I post on both sites and try to help where I can. If you have a problem with this, then please say so. if I'm not welcome over here then please let me know and I won't come back.

And your point is?

Am I prominent?? I have not hidden the fact that I am a member of LB. My user name is the same over here as there. To my knowledge I've never spoken to Mr Shed before and if he is a member of LB then it must be under a different name.

I was merely pointing out that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I have mine, Mr Shed has his, you have yours. To be honest, from Robcaqs post I thought he was saying that Mr Shed was like Lord Haw Haw, I was trying to point out that he wasn't an LB spy or troll or whatever, just an individual with his own opinion. End of.

I personally just happen to agree with Mr Shed, that's all.

To be honest, I fail to see what being a member of LB or not has to do with this in this instance. I am not brainwashed and any posts are made under my own capacity, with my own thoughts. I call it as I see it. Surely if I really wanted this site to close down, I would be disagreeing with Mr Shed and urging CAG to go for it, lose all their money and bankrupt the site, wouldn't I? It has already been pointed out on various threads, both here and on LB, that none of the members want an us and them situation. Some are actively trying to avoid this. Others, it would seem, take every opportunity to encourage it and bring it to the fore.

I post on both sites and try to help where I can. If you have a problem with this, then please say so. if I'm not welcome over here then please let me know and I won't come back.

So you are saying you're not part of her little clique then??

You've never signed in here under another name to wind people up like the others have?

@ callumsgran / WendyB

These comments are not helping anybody. Please stop the squabbling.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

So you are saying you're not part of her little clique then??

You've never signed in here under another name to wind people up like the others have?

Sorry, I wasn't aware we had to nail our colours to the mast as a condition of posting over here..

Can I direct you to this part of my previous post:-

It has already been pointed out on various threads, both here and on LB, that none of the members want an us and them situation. Some are actively trying to avoid this. Others, it would seem, take every opportunity to encourage it and bring it to the fore.

Your reply seems to prove my point doesn't it.

I have insulted no-one in my posts and fail to see the point of your question - or is it an accusation?

For the record, No, I have never signed in under a different name. I don't have a different name. I am WendyB over here and have been since the day i joined. Same as I am over there. You must have missed that bit because I already said that in my previous post.

And to be honest, I also fail to see why I should answer your question at all. But I have anwered it. If it's not to your satisfaction, then fine. If you have any further constructive questions for me, please do post them, I'll gladly answer them. But do bear in mind the topic. I'm sure the other readers don't want to be bored to death with off topic stuff that has no bearing on the libel case whatsoever.

Barracad, I wasn't squabbling. Squabbling is something which generally happens in the playground from the ages of 5 to 10. I was trying to be reasonable. Callumsgran asked me a question. I answered it. The point which I was originally trying to make was that everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinion. Sorry if this was the wrong thing to do......

People.

You are boring me.

I fully support the integrity of the sites founders, and their decision to defend the claim. They have my support 100%.

I will, like others, donate what i can, when i can.

If the site has to close at the end of this, then so be it.

That is out of my hands.

But if the people who have benefited from it in ANY WAY have anything to do with it, then it should be around forever.

You don't have to agree with the decision to defend, but your constant criticism is doing nothing but casting doubts in peoples minds.

If you support the decision, put up.

If not, shut up.

You dont have to donate or log on.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

The point which I was originally trying to make was that everyone has, and is entitled to, their own opinion.

Everyone's opinion is always welcome. Not everyone will agree with what is happening, but we still welcome your posts and opinions even if this is not the case.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

m it in ANY WAY have anything to do with it, then it should be around forever.

You don't have to agree with the decision to defend, but your constant criticism is doing nothing but casting doubts in peoples minds.

If you support the decision, put up.

If not, shut up.

You dont have to donate or log on.

If I dont agree with it, I am quite entitled to say so thank you very much tony - just as much as you are allowed to say you DO.

Clearly, as I dont agree with it, part of my intention IS to put doubt in peoples minds - as I feel it is the wrong thing to do!

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Oh my God! Is this argument still going on, I gave CAG a rest last night for the first time in months and I came on here this morning in the hopes that everyone had calmed down and we were back to helping each other with the real enemy..the DCA's.

To say I'm dissapointed is an understatement.

I'm with you Tonycee, we all know each others point of view on this (we should know by now) and as people are determined not to agree...lets just agree to disagree and get back to doing what we are so passionate in protecting!

Help out the newbies!

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

My sentiments exactly MONX, it is becoming very depressing to see this continuing.

I think those in opposition have made their opinions very clear, they do NOT have to be repeated. We are all grown ups and hopefully have minds of our own. All the information has been made available, it would be foolish to continue posting comments/information that could potentially be damaging.

Now can we please move on.:(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Subbing in: Anyone tell me what is LB? and where to find the bones of the dispute cheers. This site has helped us no end, saved us from the brink of bankruptcy, more than willing to donate.

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Whether someone feels the apology is right or wrong is irrelevent. Despite the letter from the solicitor I feel that the person in the middle of this would be extremely disappointed if that is what she got from Dave and Marc. From reading here and over at the other site I get a feeling that she would much prefer CAG not to exist, this is just my opinion mind you.

The person in the middle openly admits what she has done on her website and she has not apologised for abusing individual's privacy by posting private conversations in a public domain, or indeed for having held onto money that was not hers and that required a court order to be paid back.

I don't know what was said about this person. I don't know how offended she was, but from reading solely the letter that her solicitor has sent and then the copy and paste job that follows it, it is my opinion that the person doesn't care about an apology at all. I would be very surprised if action stopped if Dave and Marc apologised, but that is just my opinion.

Beating the DCA's day by day

My fight:

NDR - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Bank of Scotland - CCA'd 12+2 passed

CFS - Win by Technical Knock-out!:lol:

HFC Bank - CCA'd 12+2 passed

Chantry Collections - CCA sent

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana :D

<---------- Have I given you top advice, have I made you laugh, click on the scales, it won't hurt you! :grin:

LB has not instructed a solicitor or started legal action.

A member of the site team has.

That is a fact.

There are members from that site who are also trying to put this mess right.

Personally I think it would be better to let the people involved in what has been a long running dispute sort it . Lets all think about that and all back off and give them a chance to try and avoid any further action.

Somebody on each site needs to get a grip on the situation and let the persons involved come to a mutual agreement.

And IMO it would all go away.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Bookworm

Please do not make the sweeping assumption that all users of LB are the same. We are all individuals with different views and opinions. The same as users of this site. I do find your comments sometimes have a very sarcastic tone. If posters are trying to help the site and are well known to use both sites I dont think you should always assume that they are here to cause trouble. From some of the comments I have seen on here since the campaign has started there have been just as many snide and vicious remarks coming from users here. And two wrongs do not make a right.

There has been a lot of good work going on on both sites and we dont want it destroyed by throw away remarks.

Personally I think this whole situation is quite serious and maybe you should keep that in mind when posting.

IMO

Edited by HSBCrusher

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE