any dca quoting rankin to get out of cca request

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Postggj,

I'm not aware of the rankin judgement, but if it was heard in the county court then it could not set any precedence what so ever, you have more information as to this case/judgement?

Cheers

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

many thanks babybear

just a sugestion

it seems more and more dca are quoting rankine case to confuse

maybe a good idea to have a template for a reply to a dca

if anybody care to write one up, any future enquiries can be sent to that thread

maybe a stickie

many thanks babybear

just a sugestion

if anybody care to write one up, any future enquiries can be sent to that thread

maybe a stickie

Seems a good idea, I need that template!

Thanks

many thanks babybear

just a sugestion

maybe a stickie

subbing, and that would be great if someone could do it :)

the Rankines were slightly misguided in their pleadings in my opinion, they tried to obtain a declaration of unenforceability on the basis that the lenders had failed to supply an agreement

this was an error and many DCAs are latching on to the judgment and trying to bend it to suit all the issues that they come across, it is a fact that with the right arguments you can distinguish the Rankine judgment

Case Law (or Common Law)

Law made by the courts to fill in gaps in law made by Parliament. Precedent is set by the Appeal Courts (eg House of Lords and Court of Appeal) and if similar circumstances prevail, then the lower courts must follow this precedent.

came across a definition of case law as above ,

if we quote the definition of case law it seems hard to suggest the rankin case can "pull rank " over case law

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

do we know about this ???

can someone confirm if it is true ??

....regarding the rankine case in fact ..............

"The general rule is that a person who is not a party to proceedings (meaning fred bloggs you or me ) may

obtain from the court records a copy of—

(a) a statement of case, but not any documents filed with or

attached to the statement of case, or intended by the party

whose statement it is to be served with it;

(b) a judgment or order given or made in public (whether made at

a hearing or without a hearing"

definition of statement of case is below

Statement of case

A statement of case is a document prepared by a party in litigation. It is designed to be a short document which formally sets out the core aspects of their position in the litigation. The phrase is an umbrella term. The following documents are know as statements of case: (a) claim form; (b) particulars of claim; © the defence; (d) reply to defence; (e) defence to the counterclaim; and (f) requests for further information.

LMAO! cant believe there quoting that case. Well ive already aired my views but if you have recieved a letter quoting rankine then try this letter:

Account Ref: xxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs

I refer to my letter dated XX/XX/XX in which I requested pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

You have replied quoting the Rankine Vs HBOS & Others, claiming that you do not need to provide the requested information, This has surprised me, as no precedent was sent in this case, May i remind you of the following cases:

WILSON Vs FCT (2003) UKHL "the court considered that under the CCA, it was bound to uphold Mrs Wilson's arguments and declare the agreement to be unenforceable"

Dimond v Lovell [2000] 2 WLR 1121 where a credit hire company's loan agreements failed to stipulate the prescribed terms and were therefore, as Lord Hoffman put it, "irredeemably unenforceable"

I am sure that I do not need to remind you of your legal obligations under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, and the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

If you are unsure of your legal obligations, please seek advice from either your legal department or you local CAB office.

Yours faithfully

That should sort them out if not wind them up! LOL

Edited by Jesteruk
Added Court cases
  • Haha 1

Halifax Bank - Owed £1599

23/3 - Data Protection Act sent

24/5 - Data Protection Act finally arrived

25/5 - Demand for repayment sent

04/10 Court bundle filed with court and Halifax

29/10 STAY ISSUED

JAN 08 - Currently being harrased by debt collectors!

Mar 08 - New DCA - Stopped in there tracks

Jun 08 - And another

Jul 08 - Complaint made to HBOS

Nov 08 - My accounts been sold to a DCA

Jan 09 - New complaint issued against HBOS

Mar 09 - Halifax re-aquired the debt

Apr 09 - Applying for Hardship.

at least they removed 2 defaults in selling accounts! :D

I dont not claim to know everything and any advice i give should be treated as MY opinion.

If ive been helpful tip the scales!

or better still

DONATE TO CAG - every tenner helps!

subscribing

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

below is a link from the code of conduct issued by the solicitors regulatory authority

"the question is" just how close to the "......" are they ??

"Rule

11.01 Deceiving or misleading the court

• (1) You must never deceive or knowingly or recklessly mislead the court.

(2) You must draw to the court's attention:
    • (a) relevant cases and statutory provisions;
    • (b) the contents of any document that has been filed in the proceedings where failure to draw it to the court's attention might result in the court being misled; and
    • © any procedural irregularity.

(3) You must not construct facts supporting your client's case or draft any documents relating to any proceedings containing:

• (a) any contention which you do not consider to be properly arguable; or ..............."

source

http://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/code-of-conduct/198.article

• Haha 1