RBS telephone interview - Processing Services - what questions do they ask?

tal
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im looking at RBS Processing Services - what type of questions will they ask for this job, the phone interview lasts 30mins, anyone applied for this job and had the phone interview?

It will probably be the most mundane ones that ask you to dissect common sense situations and explain it to them.

"describe a time when you have worked as part of a team"

"describe how you have dealt with a stressful situation / been in conflict with someone"

"why do you want the job" - err - coz I need money to live? No. RBS - big company, looks after customers (snigger), I share same values (which are people orientated, challenging, passionate, action orientated and straightforward (though these do not actually apply in the workplace (except the challenging bit which really should have the word "behaviour" after it judging by staff I have worked with).

Really - a monkey could pass these interview questions. They rarely seem to relate to whether you can actually do the job or not. I wouldn't worry. Unless you are in a philum below a monkey.....

Oh and thn you may be invited to a "aptitude test" which will ask you the most basic questions on math, spelling etc - usually a "spot the wrong spelling" - either multiple choice (with teh wrong ones being so blatantly obvious) or circling incorrectly spelled words in a paragraph or two (again they stick out like a sore thumb"

Sorry - have I put you off applying?

I met one of those today - wandering around with a broom not even pretending to clean - and grunted when spoken to.... won't say where but it was in a public utility. All in the days work for me now.

Seriously though these phone interviews just seem to sort out the 'bright' from the 'dim' and generally for some places the 'dim's win.

Put it this way. If you can speak (any extent above a 5 year old is fine), count (preferably past 20) and agree with anything and everything a manager says to you then you will be fine.

Remember. Interviews are only a test of how good you are at lying.

But seriously, the values I put there are the actual values of the company (not the challenging behaviour though - just challenging). Work your answers round them. All they want to hear is that you work well under pressure, get on with people, can resolve problems (personal and practical and like hitting targets (because they have so goddam many that they become your job description - sorry, I'm doing it again).

Have a look at the job profile section on the website and rephrase what is said on there (you could probably repeat it verbatim and the interviewer wouldn't have a clue). Dont panic.

I once applied for a job at RBS and had a telephone interview, it was pretty basic, mundane competency related stuff.

I flew through all the interviews and was offered the job only to have it taken away from me as I didn't pass the credit check LOL.

When I applied at Direct Line (Part of RBS) I could not believe the test they gave us. My brother's homework was more difficult (he was 13 at the time). I really found it to be insulting to intelligence and I am not surprised that so many people have trouble with companies because of the staff they employ. What really got me though was that 3 people actually failed the test. I think they must have been brain dead or cottoned on that any company which classed these questions as testing ain't worth working for (which says something about me really too..)

Was gobsmacked that I passed the credit check coz I had 3 CCJs at the time!

Neither did I until this one - honestly.

Take common sense. dissect it so that it appears to be something so mysterious that you need a masters degree to understand it, ask loads of questions (without providing any answers), spend most of the time telling jokes and you have that lecture.

Despite this, I still have not missed a single lecture!

• 2 weeks later...

what ansers woud you give to

"describe a time when you have worked as part of a team"

"describe how you have dealt with a stressful situation / been in conflict with someone"

anyone recently had a RBS phone interview?

For the first one they are asking you to demonstrate that you can work with others. Think of those excrutiatingly corny phrases like "Together Everyone Achieves More (giving the word "team" - geddit?!) and "there's no I in team (theres not 21 other letters of the alphabet in it either that I can make stupid phrases out of. H'mmmm - there's no WE in team because you taking the p**s. Boom! Boom!). Seriously. yo need to come up with something taht posed a problem. You need to show how you worked well with someone else to overcome that problem. It does not have to be in a work environment - do you play in a music band or in sports teams? Hiking? Say what it is that you did to contribute to the outcome.

As to teh second one, they are looking for someone who will not say they would knock six senses out of their colleagues. They are looking for remaining calm, planning (determining the cause of the situation, what needs to be done, how you do it and assessing if it worked and what you could do better), seeking assistance (becasue everyone relies on each other), demonstrating empathy to avoid confrontation and good communication.

the actual scenario is down to you! Ps - when is this interview supposed to be? Thought you would have had it by now?

• 2 years later...

last phone interview i had was just press the button 1 - 0 (for 10) to say if you totally agree or disagree with the question

part way through i got mixed up and when they asked "if the till was left unattended and you were alone would you take from the till" i hit 0 for yes i would instead of 1 for no way.

whooops

supprisingly i never got the job

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...