• Tweets

• Morning dx and thank you for your message.   With regards to your comment about them not needing to produce the deed, the additional directions ordered by the judge included 'a copy of any assignment o the debt or agreement relied upon'  so that is why I thought that point was relevant?
    • Sorry for the long post but I don't want to miss out any relevant information: My wife bought a car from Trade Centre UK and have been having nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately we paid of the finance used to buy the car as we weren't expecting this much trouble with the car as we we though we would have protection as buying from a dealer. We are wondering if we can still reject the vehicle since the finance plan has been paid off. Timeline is as follows: 13/12/2023 -15/12/2023 Bought car from Trade Centre UK for £10548 £2000 deposit paid on credit card on 13/12/2023 £8548 on finance from Moneybarn (arranged through Trade Centre UK). picked up car on 15/12/2023 Also bought lifetime warranty for £50/month 25/12/2023 Engine Management Light comes on. The AA called out and diagnosed the following error codes: P0133 - Lambda sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Slow reaction. Error sporadic P0135 - Lambda sensor heat. circ.(bank1,sensor1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Component defective Due to it being Christmas took a few days to get through to them but they booked me in for 28/12/2023 to run their own diagnostics. 28/12/2023 Took car in to Trade Centre so could check the car – They agreed it was the Oxygen Sensor and Booked me in for repair on 30/01/2024. I was told they had no earlier slots, and I would be fine to carry on driving car when I said I was afraid of problem worse. During diagnosing the problem, they reset the Engine Management Light. During drive home light comes back on. 29/12/2023 - 29/01/2024 I carry on driving the car but closer to the date, engine goes to reduced power every now and again – not being a mechanic I presumed that this was due to above fault. 20/01/2024 Not expecting any more problems paid off the finance on the car using personal loan from bank with lower interest rate. 30/01/2024 Trade Centre replace to O2 sensor (They also take it on a roughly 60mile road trip which seems a bit excessive to me – I can’t prove this as something prompted me take a picture of milage when I handed car in but I forgot take one on collection – only remembered next day.) 06/02/2024 Engine goes in reduced power mode again and engine management light comes on – Thinking the Trade centre’s 28 day warranty period was over I booked the car the into local garage for the next day to get problem fixed under the lifetime warranty package. Fault seems to clear after engine was switched off. 07/02/2024 In the Morning, I take it to local garage who say as the light gone off – the warranty company is unlikely to cover the cost of the repair or diagnostics and recommend I contact them when the light comes back on. In the evening the light comes back on and luckily I manage to get it back to the garage just before it shuts for the day. 08/02/2024 The Garage sends me a diagnostics video showing a lot error codes been picked up by their diagnostics machine including codes for Oxygen sensor and Nox Sensors, Accelerator pedal and several more. Video also shows EGR Hose not connected to the intake manifold properly, they believed this was confusing the onboard system as it is unlikely this many sensors would trigger at same the time but they couldn’t be certain until they repaired the hose. 13/02/2024 Finally get the car back as it took a while to get approval and payment for the repairs from the Warranty company. Garage told me to keep an eye the car as errors had cleared with the hose but couldn’t 100% certain that’s what caused the problem. 06/03/2024 Engine management light comes on again. Fed up I go into Trade Centre as I was just around the corner when it happened and asked them how to reject the car or have the problem fixed. They insist that as it’s over 28 days I need to get the car fixed under the warranty package I purchased and they could no longer fix the car as it was over 28 days. When I tried telling them it appeared to be the same or related problem they said they couldn’t help as I hadn’t contacted them earlier. I asked them if they were willing to connect the car to the diagnostics machine and tell me what the problem was, as a goodwill gesture, which he agreed to do and took the car to the back He came back around 30 minutes later and said they took a look at the sensor they replaced previously and there was nothing wrong with it and engine management light went off when they removed the sensor to check it. When I asked what the error code he couldn’t give me an exact fault but the said it one of the problems I told him earlier (Accelerator pedal). I have this visit audio recorded on my phone – I informed the reps I was recording several times. As the light wasn’t on, local garage couldn’t book me for a repair under warranty. 07/03/2024 Light came on so managed to book back into local garage for the 12/03/2024 Whilst waiting to take car into garage, I borrowed a OBD sensor and scanned for errors on the car. This showed the following errors: P11BE – Manufacturer specific code (Google showed this to be NOX sensor) P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow 12/03/2024 Took car to local garage and the confirmed the above errors. This leads me to believe that either Trade Centre UK reps lied and just reset the light or just didn’t check properly (Obviously I am unable to prove this) 22/03/2024 Finally got the car back as according to garage, the warranty company took a long to time to pay for the repairs 28/04/2024 Engine management Light has come back on. Using the borrowed OBD scanner I am getting the following codes: P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation I have not yet booked into a garage as I wanted to see what my rights are in terms of rejecting the car as to me the faults seem related. I can’t keep using taxi or train to get to work every time the car goes into the garage as it is getting very expensive. Am I right in thinking that they have used up their chance to repair when they conducted the repair end of January or when they refused to repair it in February ? If I am still able to reject the vehicle could you point to any sample letters or emails I can use. Thankyou for your advice on my next steps.
    • Ok noted about the screenshot uploads. In terms of screwing up I had one previous ticket that defaulted and ended up in a CCJ from Southend airport because for some reason during COVID I didn't receive their claim form just a notice of default. This hospital ticket was the 2nd ticket that went to CCJ due to a lack of knowledge of the process. Maybe it's easier just to pay them in future I'm thinking though, I don't get them very often anyway
    • Car maker takes a hit from weakening demand and price war in the world's largest electric vehicle market.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

housing benefit and bank statement

binkhus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone

i just started work again after being on income support and i only work 16 hours a week so was told to claim some housing benefit and council tax benefit. i took in all my working tax credit awards forms and child tax credits forms and wage slips everything thyat proves what money im getting in. the lady said i still had to bring in a recent bank staement to prove i hadnt won the lottery or something. now i havent won the lottery or owt but still a bit peeved that everyone in benefit office will see not only what money iv got coming in but what iv spent money on too. they will see what iv spent on shopping what iv spent at chemist ect what if i was a keen ann summers fan or liked to buy sex films ( i would like to point out that they wont see anything like that). i would like to marker out all the money going out and just leave the incoming income and final ballance. i think its awful they are allowd to see what is really a very private thing. any comments?

All information you pass to the council is treated in a confidential manner.

They just need to confirm that your pay advice corresponds to your bank account. This is used as a fraud check and also as part of an identity check.

You may find it very difficult getting your award with them seeing the statement.

iv handed everything in now but was looking at the european conventions on human rights and it rights to privacy. now dont get me wrong i know im prob just p****D off over nowt but i provided them with every detail of my income, wage slips, tax credits forms ect and they still wanted to see what i would consider to be a very private thing on the off chance i had won the lottery and still wanted to claim £45 a week housing benefit.

Actually, I very much agree with you. I think that what happens in your finances (bank account) is a private as what happens in your bedroom.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

I know I am now late with this advice but you can always blank out the payee with a black marker pen if you don't want your local council to know where you have been spending your money, it is the amounts coming in that they will be concerned with.

.....of course I may be wrong!:?

thanx frost thats what i thought about doing but couldnt be bothered with the hassle really. it just makes me angry that because im on a low wage and need some help they get to seee my bank statements.

i felt the same although the claim is in my Oh name , he had to sign the docs', he does not have a bank account but they demanded to see my bank statments!!

I was well miffed.

Then they could see i was paying my council tax late each month :rolleyes:

Idax

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry couldnt resist to comment on this.

Whilst I agree you may see it as an invasion, you need to understand that a lot of fraudulent activity goes on when people are claiming benefits.

They ask to see your bank account statements to prove that all of the income you say you receive, you are receiving and you are not receiving anything you havent declared.

Benefit Officers wont give a hoot about what you spend your money on but there is quite a lot of information that can be checked on a bank statement to prove you are not committing fraud.

I wouldnt suggest blacking out your outgoings as there are certain fraudulent checks needed on outgoings too.

I for one, would prefer to provide information needed to help them combat the fraud that costs us taxpayers.

This post was just to try and explain why they ask for it and hopefully you now understand thats it's not due to intrusion.

Morgan Stanley

**Won 31.01.07 with CCI**

Capital One

**Won 19.04.07 with CCI**

Halifax current & Joint

Verbal S.A.R 11.01.07, stats recd 18.01.07

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Frazercard Prelim sent with CCI 27.01.07

Burtons Prelim sent with CCI 22.01.07

RBOS Visa S.A.R sent 12.01.07

Partners JJB card (Creation) *Won* with part interest - 15.02.07

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

Whilst I agree you may see it as an invasion, you need to understand that a lot of fraudulent activity goes on when people are claiming benefits.

They ask to see your bank account statements to prove that all of the income you say you receive, you are receiving and you are not receiving anything you havent declared.

Benefit Officers wont give a hoot about what you spend your money on but there is quite a lot of information that can be checked on a bank statement to prove you are not committing fraud.

I wouldnt suggest blacking out your outgoings as there are certain fraudulent checks needed on outgoings too.

I for one, would prefer to provide information needed to help them combat the fraud that costs us taxpayers.

This post was just to try and explain why they ask for it and hopefully you now understand thats it's not due to intrusion.

Innocent until proven guilty, eh? Unless, of course, you're a benefit claimant! :mad:

Oh, and by the way...

"...costs us taxpayers?" Benefit claimants are tax payers, too.

With respect

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Sorry, have to disagree. The council have no need whatsoever to see exactly what you decide to spend your money on, even if the information is treated confidentially. All they need to see in deciding your claim is simply your current balance, plus the total money in/out of the account: That would be sufficient to see if there was any fraud going on.

My bank provides statements which contain a "summary" page which shows the opening and closing balance, total in plus total out. I gave the summary to my council and refused to give them my fully itemised statements. They accepted this and paid HB in full.

Oh dear...didnt intend to start a debate on this, I just wanted to try and explain why they ask for it.

I meant "us" as in everyone other than fraudsters.

Also, they arent looking at what you spend your money on, they are looking for transactions that you havent declared.....unfortunately I cant say what as it would give to much information away.

Im very surprised the benefit department allowed you to just give summary pages. They are breaking a regulation by doing that. Usually they would refuse benefit if you dont supply the relevant information.

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

Halifax Visa prelim sent 26.01.07. Reply 31.01.07 Filed N1 on 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

GE Capital

Partners LLOYDS Account S.A.R 13.12.06 - stats recd 30.01.07. Prelim sent with CCI 01.02.07

Partners BOS Mastercard Offered all charges except £12. Refused. N1 filed 20.03.07 - Judgement granted, sent in the bailiffs

Oh dear...didnt intend to start a debate on this, I just wanted to try and explain why they ask for it.

I meant "us" as in everyone other than fraudsters.

Also, they arent looking at what you spend your money on, they are looking for transactions that you havent declared.....unfortunately I cant say what as it would give to much information away.

Im very surprised the benefit department allowed you to just give summary pages. They are breaking a regulation by doing that. Usually they would refuse benefit if you dont supply the relevant information.

I am puzzled now. You say they aren't looking at what you spend your money on, but that they are looking for transactions you haven't declared. Surely, transactions are what you have spent your money on? (as well as credits, of course)

As you know, I could have up to £6000 in my account without any effect on HB or CTB. If I decide to spend, say £5000 on a holiday or a new car, then what business is that of the council?

Out of interest, please can you tell me what regulation applies to this?

Robin

They arent looking at what you spend you money on. Transactions consist of debit, credits and transfers.

If you spent £5000 on a car or a holiday then that is no problem....especially when you are below the capital threshold anyway.

If you had say...15k in your account and within a week spent 9k then that would raise questions as some claimants purposely have a diminuation of capital just so they can claim full benefit.

Off the top of my head I cant remember the exact regulation (it's late lol) but it falls under the Verification Framework rules set up...it's something like section 19.....from my memory.

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

GE Capital

Robin

They arent looking at what you spend you money on. Transactions consist of debit, credits and transfers.

If you spent £5000 on a car or a holiday then that is no problem....especially when you are below the capital threshold anyway.

If you had say...15k in your account and within a week spent 9k then that would raise questions as some claimants purposely have a diminuation of capital just so they can claim full benefit.

Off the top of my head I cant remember the exact regulation (it's late lol) but it falls under the Verification Framework rules set up...it's something like section 19.....from my memory.

Yes, I quite agree that this would raise questions. However, this kind of expenditure would show up in the account summary, without the council having to know how much I spent in Tesco last week! The claimant would then be asked to justify the figures.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fraud prevention, but I just see it as further snooping by an already oversurveilled big brother society.

As you have mentioned deprivation of capital and as I have previously been affected by this, I thought I would post the following which I found very interesting and may be useful to others.

If a claimant has in excess of £16000, there are various legitimate ways of "spending" it which shouldn't affect HB or CTB entitlement:

P1.703 A claimant should still be regarded as having deprived themself of a capital resource if they have disposed themself of it by way of a gift to a third party. However, they should not be regarded as depriving themself of it if they did it to

HB(SPC) Reg 47; CTB(SPC) Reg 37

• reduce or pay off a debt they owe
  • purchase goods or services the Decision Maker considers reasonable, given their circumstances, eg
    • payments to reduce/pay off a debt, eg paying a credit card account or mortgage early
    • for day to day expenses
    • to improve their quality of life, eg buying a new kitchen or car
    • for medical treatment
    • for home repairs
    • for a holiday

With deprivation of Capital...as long as you can prove what you have spent your money on and it is reasonable then there should be no problem.

If anyone is ever in this situation, I would advise to try and keep receipts where possible too.

Morgan Stanley

Capital One

Halifax current & Joint

GE Capital

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

My 72yr old mum is in this situation she cannort afford to pay her full rent & council tax anymore but they are using the deprivation of capital rule

It stinks:evil:

Simon

Hi All,

My 72yr old mum is in this situation she cannort afford to pay her full rent & council tax anymore but they are using the deprivation of capital rule

It stinks:evil:

Simon

What did she spend the money on? In theory for deprivation to apply the money must be spent with the intention of increasing benefit entitlement, but in practice any large unjustified expenditure may be deemed as such. If she disagrees with the decision she has a right of appeal independent from the council.

Edited by Zamzara

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

• 1 month later...

We receibved a letter fro the council today stating that she is not entitled to any benefits.

I called them to discuss it and they stated that the money she did have going back in 2006 which totaled just over £16.000 plus the £2500 Funeral Bond has now been disregarded but they are still stating that the £25,000 that she gave to me & my family falls under the notional capital rule.

They have reduced this fugure now to saying that she has £20,253.70 but as I stated to them she is in there accomodation & is using her overdraft every month to pay her rent & council tax.

I now have to go down the road of appeal

Any suggestions please,

Thanks,

Simon

Too be honest, they won't give a monkey what you spend your money on.

People who work there who know you might. Saying nobody will give a monkeys isn't true is it.

Edited by pencil

• 3 months later...
People who work there who know you might. Saying nobody will give a monkeys isn't true is it.

Hi, I would like to quote on the fact that the council want to see my bank statements, the fact that they have seen my wage slips should be enough, how would they like it if I asked to see their bank statement, I think this is an invasion of privacy. Wouldn't be claiming housing benefit if I had ex amount of pounds in the bank, not worth the hassle. There should be some sort of law against this.

• 10 months later...

There is no guarantee that these details will be kept confidential at all.

There are two main problems here.

One is someone duping them into giving information to someone in the belief that they are dealing with someone entitled to know. You don't know what is being stored and kept that someone could ring up and con out of someone.

You are given good evidence that they are vulnerable to this tactic just because of the reasons given for asking for it. Councils will talk about "Proof" in my experience when they actually mean "Evidence".

Not having a good sense of reasoning like this makes them vulnerable to being conned.

Identity checks are worthless against skilled fraudsters. It is important to remember that THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PROOF OF IDENTITY.

Evidence exists of course but not proof. If you have a passport can we be assured that the people in the passport office have known you since a child? Of course not. Identity cards will suffer from the same problem.

My local council will idiotically accept utility bills as what they call "Proof of identity". You have to worry seriously about the cognitive abilities of these people.

The most obvious reason why bank account details would be useless is that the claimant had accounts they did not declare that were dealt with on a cash only basis and that had no connection to the account in question.

Any fraudster would easily work this out so in effect they are asking for

information of little value.

This is all theoretical but the real threat is from dishonest staff. I can guarantee you that there are cases where staff in organisations have used these kinds of things to commit fraud. I know of a case myself, which was not a council but a central government body, but the principle is the same.

There is nothing to prevent a dishonest staff member memorising all your details later writing them down and storing them for all sorts of fraudulent purposes later on when you are off benefits.

I am given to understand, and I would welcome proper evidence on this matter, which I am checking out myself anyway, that the law no longer requires you to hand over this information. Maybe someone up there actually has a few brain cells to rub together or more likely they have

caught to many people using it for fraud and finally realised it isn't a good idea.

Edit: Oh and I like that bedroom point made earlier. It is spot on.

Edited by Ford Prefect
extra line

Hi,

I felt the same when I applied,

They told me that I had to provide my adult childrens pay slips.

I had to explain to my kids all of my private business too.

I dont make a profit from my kids they just pay their way.

Do I have to notify them if my child changes their job?

I only do paper free banking so I just printed out the a mini statement to show them.

I have more money in my account at the end of the month and nothing by the 1st as thats when all my bills come out.

I had to have a home visit from the council tax lady. She told me that they were having to visit every body who was claiming and that it was government legislation.

Its going to take them years. Has any one else had a home visit or is it infact just me?

I suppose if people are doing anything dodgy then a home visit would make you very nervous.

I had wondered if they were picking on me because I have made complaints about the DWP.

• 2 years later...

I too have a feeling I am being singled out because I have made a complaint and went all the way to the top man in London. In a previous claim they lied to my local MP, local leaders of other political parties and to the head man himself. They finally had to admit this to the head of HMRC because they didn't have the information they would have needed to write to me!

To claim working tax and child tax credit I have been asked to submit originals of the following:-

Mortgage statement

Electricity bills

Gas bills

Telephone bills

Rates demand

Water rates bill

Pay slips

Contract of work hours

Evidence of son's education (he is receipt of EMA therefore must be in full-time education)

They claim this is because there exists a bank account linked to my address. This is true and it has been for many years. It is obvious from all my paperwork that they have received that there is no connection between me and this account or my account and anybody else. It is an old friend who used my address because I was the only constant in his life.

They accused me of lying about my 17 year-old, son's education because between my application and this week he has not achieved the grades he really needed. He was offered the chance to go back a year but opted instead to do a full time A-level course at a local college. I encouraged this because I don't have the funds to buy him his school uniform or pay for his transport to and from the school, when it moves out of town in November. I have not received child benefit for my son since March of this year.

I work18.5 hours a week, in a local gym, cleaning drains, showers, toilets, air conditioning ducts, swimming pool and racking up 25kg weights. I can't imagine anyone doing this, except out of necessity

The compliance officer told my daughter that because this friend was of a similar age we might be living together! We are friends...we do not live together....we have been on holiday together...we do not have a sexual relationship. I always thought in the UK it is innocent until proven guilty!!! If I am angry about their intrusion into my life can you imagine how I feel when they question me about my friend and his personal life.

Meantime, in May I received £361 to last me for 5 weeks (because June was a 5 week month. In June I received £601 because I worked a 5 week month. In July I received £420 (my working hours were increased from 16hrs to 18.5hrs) which has to do me for 5 weeks because again I have to work a 5 week month!!

I am sick with worry about how I am going to cope now that my meagre savings (for my son's driving lessons) have run out!!

I have broken my tooth and cannot go near the dentist because I have no money and cannot prove receipt of benefits.