Dell / Official Complaints Procedures

nooneshotjr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm having Dell problems, but to be accurate its nowhere near dell fault really.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/227479-laptop-swapz-going-wrong.html

any ways of getting dell to honour the warrenty ?

Ive just read the thread and it looks like you got a good result with DELL offering to honor the warranty agreement after all. I think your very lucky because DELL did'nt have to do that even if the guy did have the warranty transfered because all requests to transfer ownership, service, limited warranty and Dell support are determined at Dell's sole discretion and they are not legally obliged to do so. Brilliant.

Mykill

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no, they not willing to honor the warrenty at the moment.

they are ready and waiting, dont wont do jack till I get the name of the real 1st buyer

I've posted a reply to your thread.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

• 2 weeks later...

i have had a dell computer for only 6 months and i am discusted with there service i spent nearly 400 pound to purschase this load of rubbish on trying to speak to them the buck passes over and over again to many diffent depatments and no help or assistance was given all i have been told that the lap top is under guarentee for 1 year but the softwear was not how is this the case when it all came with the laptop i am going to have to pay over 60 pound to fix this and i dont belive this is right i will never bye another dell computer they are rubbish and the custmer service is abismal :-?

i have had a dell computer for only 6 months and i am discusted with there service i spent nearly 400 pound to purschase this load of rubbish on trying to speak to them the buck passes over and over again to many diffent depatments and no help or assistance was given all i have been told that the lap top is under guarentee for 1 year but the softwear was not how is this the case when it all came with the laptop i am going to have to pay over 60 pound to fix this and i dont belive this is right i will never bye another dell computer they are rubbish and the custmer service is abismal :-?

If you are saying there's a software problem you can always reload (provided you've not changed things) from the laptop itself. You'll have also been given a set of all software installed on it on CD's. What's the actual problem?

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Hi Muglady, re the software not being under guarantee, all I can say to that, is, how can any company guarentee software, when users load all manner of things. Some unintentionally, ie malware viruses etc.

I run my own computer repair business, and we don't warrantee software, we simply cant for the above reasons.

Sorry its not what you want to hear. I'm no lover of Dell, but in this instance, I have to side with them im afraid.

If you are saying there's a software problem you can always reload (provided you've not changed things) from the laptop itself. You'll have also been given a set of all software installed on it on CD's. What's the actual problem?

Michael

Or the software would be on the hidden partition.

Be safe

Nige :)

Just a point if anyone paid by Credit Card (stress Credit Card not debit card) you are covered by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, so write to the credit card company holding them joint and severally liable for the faulty product. If it is not fit for purpose then get your money back.

Templates are on Consumer Directs website

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having trouble with Dell. I bought a laptop from Currys in August 2008, and had to take it back to get a replacement because half of the hard drive was missing on the first one ! Ever since then, I've been having problems with the replacement. My warranty with Currys ran out a while back, and my warranty with Dell expired 20 days ago. Just today my laptop decided it didn't want to start up, after having recently paid £60 to sort out another problem with it. Does anyone know what rights I have here? I want to complain but I want to make sure I know what I'm entitled to. Thanks.

I'm also having trouble with Dell. I bought a laptop from Currys in August 2008, and had to take it back to get a replacement because half of the hard drive was missing on the first one ! Ever since then, I've been having problems with the replacement. My warranty with Currys ran out a while back, and my warranty with Dell expired 20 days ago. Just today my laptop decided it didn't want to start up, after having recently paid £60 to sort out another problem with it. Does anyone know what rights I have here? I want to complain but I want to make sure I know what I'm entitled to. Thanks.

Firstly (and I am sure there are people on here that know more than I do) Did you pay by Credit Card?

Second I would write to Curry's - since your contract is between you and the person you purchased the goods from - and give the usual - not fit for purpose - not of merchantable quality etc etc and ask them to either repair or replace.

You can find the usual templates on the consumer direct website from the Gov. If it has failed from day one and has never worked then you have the right to reject the goods or have them replaced or repaired - although after 6 months the onus is on you to prove that they don't work but if you have a history of issues with the item and it is well doccumented highly unlikely you need to do much else.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, sorry to bump an old thread like this, but my horror story is just begining. I made an order for a laptop with Dell on 21/02/2010.

I received a call from Syncreon (their courier company) on 01/03/10 to tell me that my order will be with me from 8am-1pm the following day. So on 02/03/10 (today) I took the day off work and waited 8am-1pm and nothing arrived. I waited an additional hour and still nothing arrived so I decided to call customer services.

I waited 25 minutes in a queue and spoke to someone who said the courier is slightly delayed, but the laptop will be with me before 6pm today. I asked for a contact number for the courier to confirm this but the advisor told me that I can't contact anyone because they are already on the way to me.

I waited until 3pm and there was still no sign of the courier so I found a contact number and called Syncreon to ask what's going on, they advised that there has been a problem with Dell and they aren't sure if the shipment is even in the UK yet, it definately wouldn't be delivered today.

I attempted to call Dell customer service again and after waiting 45 minutes in a queue to speak to someone, I was told to call back tomorrow because they are having problems with the system.

This is terrible customer service and it actually seems mild compared to what has happened to some of the other people in this thread. I've sent an e-mail complaining so I'll keep this thread updated as to what response I get.

Okay a little off topic but nonetheless true and this regards delivery of Virgin Wines using (if I recall) Amtrak. You want to hear about days missed from work then this is just a single example...

Ordered wines. When you receive your email it's really a hint that the wine should have been delivered. Nothing happened and I called to be told they had tried to deliver but got no reply. In fact that was a total lie because no card was left. Anyhow we had not passed the 7 days and I called again to be told the same BUT it would be redelivered the next day. Conveniantly a day off work so I waited and waited and nothing. Then I find out that they'd actually returned the box to Virgin! It was then resent out (10 days having passed) and it would be delivered on whatever day - of course it never arrived. We are now on day 14 and again not delivered.

My tone was now unfriendly but I am assured that on Friday it would arrive. Late afternoon (as I think the day will pass and nothing) I call and they tell me they could not find the address (for the 10th time!!) and I suggested (sounds a bit obvious) to call me when they are close by and I'll advise them. Nightmare, they cannot phone so I'm now on the phone on te phone with the depot. The controller tells me they have radioed that they are close by and alas I see the vehicle. I tell him to tell the driver to turn left and he'll see me waving as he looks to the right. What did he do, yep, you guessed it, he turned right(!). However he now cannot deliver because his day has ended, can you believe that?!

Saturday midday the depot manager delivered the single case in his own car. Virgin even suggested to me not to order from them again because these are recurring problems.

To top it all 2 weeks later I receive one of those emails again. I call Virgin to say I never ordered anything, so why are they telling me about a deliver. 'Oh this is a case of wine to apologise to you for all the problems', he utters. Yes, you guessed it the same ultra long winded rigmarole and they even added a bottle of champers as it took all of a fortnight to get to me having been sent back to them.

I might have been off work a few of the days but I did not intend to remain indoors in the vain hope of a delivery. Never again, I said and have stuck to my words! The problems is that companies hive off their delivery section to 3rd parties. Normally they go fine but obviously in the case mentioned above and mine there can be some annoying blips.

Michael

(hoping this will amuse many)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank Goodness I'm not alone at going round in circles trying to get support from Dell. I bought a laptop last week and I've been trying to sort a problem out. I've spent all day trying to correspond online with a technician, but unless the query fits in with their automated system you just go round and round. Eventually rang their Presto service (don't anyone bother with this) was put through to one person then another, then cut off. Dialed again was put through to one person then was told I was being transferred but after 15 mins I ended the call. I rang again and explained the situation but was told unless I agreed to pay then they couldn't help me. I said I was going to complain and the attitude was 'go ahead! Basically once they've got your money if they can't get more money off you they don't give a hoot about you.

I will NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN USE DELL !

Thank Goodness I'm not alone at going round in circles trying to get support from Dell. I bought a laptop last week and I've been trying to sort a problem out. I've spent all day trying to correspond online with a technician, but unless the query fits in with their automated system you just go round and round. Eventually rang their Presto service (don't anyone bother with this) was put through to one person then another, then cut off. Dialed again was put through to one person then was told I was being transferred but after 15 mins I ended the call. I rang again and explained the situation but was told unless I agreed to pay then they couldn't help me. I said I was going to complain and the attitude was 'go ahead! Basically once they've got your money if they can't get more money off you they don't give a hoot about you.

I will NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN USE DELL !

A week old laptop not working? - take it back for a full refund!

What's the actual problem though?

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I would just like all the Dell haters to know that I am about to sue Dell with regards to a myriad of problems I have had with them.

I will keep you informed of the process and hopefully you can follow the same route.

On another note, if you purchased an item from a retailer and the 12 month manufacturers warranty has expired by 6 months, you are still entitled to repairs etc. Under the sale of goods act you have the right to expect the product to last reasonable amount of time. ie you could expect a washing machine in a domestic situation to last 5 or 6 years. Therefore, you still have rights under sale of goods act, so don't waste money on extra warranties!!!

If you would like further info mail me at [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

I have read these threads and am very grateful for the addresses. I have spent an hour and talked to 8 or 9 people in dell socalled customer service and have kept being shunted around and having to enter long numbers continually. some people did not even have the courtesy to say that they were putting me to someone else - the phone just went back to the originial setting giving me a list of options that did not help me. Eventually I asked for a complaint department and was told that they did not have one. I asked for a legal department and was told they did not have one !. I asked for an address and was told they did not have one. All this was today. I asked if the calls were being recorded and was told they were so the information given out should presumably be recorded. My problem was an attempt to stop them taking money to continue my delldatasafe account. I stopped using it months ago but received an email saying that they were going to take the subscription for renewal from my card. I tried to cancel it online but my user name was not recognized even though i checked it from the original email. This obstruction to my being able to stop them taking money from me amounts to fraud as far as I am concerned and I will be writing to the addresses I obtained from this site to demand that they do not take any money. I will let this thread know how i get on.

I am grateful to this site and will be sending a donation if I find the addresses to be correct

If you can put up with the inconvenience for a few days, ring the number on the back of the card and report it lost. You will get a new card in a few days if you can do without it that long.

That's the only way you will stop them taking a payment.

Thanks for that. I had thought about it but i am not sure which of my three cards i used when i originally set it up last year. I could stop all of them but the subscription is only £34.99 and is not worth all that hassle. Your reply is appreciated, though

Are you saying you still can't log into your account? Isn't there a 'forgot password' button?

If you can get in you can check up on which one you used,. You must have statements that show the other payments you made, have a look at that.

If none of the above then tell the bank after they have taken it that an unauthorised withdrawl has been made and you want it returned.

You won't get any joy from Dell, they are in court being sued at least once per month but even that don't change them. Their service is second only to the crap junk they sell as computers.

Edited by Conniff
  • Haha 1

The problem is not just the password, it is not recognizing my user name so there is no way that I can access their site. The staff in their so called technical department also seemed unable to help. when I try to use the forgotten password button that is when it tells me my account does not exist. Thanks for the tip about suing them. I think that I shall simply send them an officially documented letter telling them that they have no permission to take money from my account and see what happens. The money is not particularly a problem but spending an hour on the phone talking to monkeys and getting very frustrated is, especially when the anger then spills over on to the family - an unfortunate granddaughter was the victim today.

Is this an amount simply charged to a bank card or a DD? The former means you can call your bank and reject the money call and the latter, you just cancel it. If it's a call from a card then after the charge call the bank and explain the reason is you cancelled it (which I think you said you did). This reminds me of ZoneAlarm - ahem they like called for renewal subscription literally 8 weeks before the end - a swift call to them had the money refunded.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that Dell are a victim of their own success. They're too big and too global. Their prices maybe 10% cheaper than all the competition but they sure make up for that in after sales services costs, warranties and credit. Not many people know this but Dell make their own hardware which most of the time may not be compatible with other standard PC hardware. They'll usually change the connection or wiring so you HAVE to buy Dell replacement parts.

What I would advise to anyone is find a good local IT shop or home callout service and use them. Although the desktop or laptop may cost slightly more their callout costs are usually considerably cheaper, if they're a small local company they'll bend over backwards to help and most cases will give free advice over the phone. And of course you can deal with the same person each time who will probably speak the same language as you.

• 1 month later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks