Dell / Official Complaints Procedures

nooneshotjr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Erm well I would first like to say that this is one of a hell quality gaming machine! :eek: Puts my XPS720 (4mb max/2.4 quad Q6600 CPU) to shame. Must have cost a fortune too! ;)

I see what you mean. However you might even be able to help me!!!

See: http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii235/informedsearcher/MyDell_XPS720_eek.jpg

Michael

Yes I see you also have speedstep enabled, any chance of a shot with the CPU stressed this will then show the true speed of the CPU. You can download Prime 95 for free there are 32bit and 64bit versions and you dont need to install it you can run it from the executable. Just google Prime 95.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an idea, re the overclocking.. Has there been a bios update yet do you know?, as this could unlock the 'locked' items. To enable you to increase the fsb.

I can increase the FSB from within Nvidia control panel and the CPU core voltage but the machine shouldnt be underclocked via the multiplier at purchase and locked there. You have to agree to a disclaimer to use the tools in Nvidia control panel and say I increase the FSB to push my CPU to the 2.5GHz and the thing go's pearshaped which is highly unlikely but DELL did this for a reason and I suspect the machine had problems running at 2.5GHz on the test bed, I wouldnt have a leg to stand on. Another thing here I never agreed to the disclaimer to unlock the overclock feature in Nvidia control panel a DELL tech did it while remotely connected to my machine and at the time I couldn't understand why.

I totally agree with the fact that it shouldnt of been underclocked. But in saying that you wouldnt have a leg to stand on.. personally, I dont think you would have a case to answer.

Its not as if you installed the graphics card after it was purchased, it came as part of the package.

All computers built nowadays can be overclocked, even if slightly, either form the bios, or using other software as you know. All the companies would expect them to be overclocked. Even AMD / Intel expect them to be overclocked. Least thats my opinion.

I build and repair pc's as my job, and whenever I work on a computer, I always tell the customer, if it can be overclocked, and give them the option of me doing it for them, knowing the 'safety limits' I can go up to.

With written notice that if it should go wrong within x amount of time, I will repair the problem for them. On teh proviso, that they havent increased the overclock. ( I occasionally use a password to protect the bios, to make double sure the customer cannot overclock it even further). If a change is needed for the bios, then they give me a call, and I call out and do it for them. Usually foc.. (which is why im not a multimillionaire lol)

So far, I have not had a single comeback from any of my customers, regarding a bad overclock. If anything its mostly been praise as to how much faster it appears to be going for them..

As I said earlier, its just an idea.. maybe worth a shot.. maybe not..

Hope it helps.

be safe

JGG :)

I totally agree with the fact that it shouldnt of been underclocked. But in saying that you wouldnt have a leg to stand on.. personally, I dont think you would have a case to answer.

Its not as if you installed the graphics card after it was purchased, it came as part of the package.

All computers built nowadays can be overclocked, even if slightly, either form the bios, or using other software as you know. All the companies would expect them to be overclocked. Even AMD / Intel expect them to be overclocked. Least thats my opinion.

I build and repair pc's as my job, and whenever I work on a computer, I always tell the customer, if it can be overclocked, and give them the option of me doing it for them, knowing the 'safety limits' I can go up to.

With written notice that if it should go wrong within x amount of time, I will repair the problem for them. On teh proviso, that they havent increased the overclock. ( I occasionally use a password to protect the bios, to make double sure the customer cannot overclock it even further). If a change is needed for the bios, then they give me a call, and I call out and do it for them. Usually foc.. (which is why im not a multimillionaire lol)

So far, I have not had a single comeback from any of my customers, regarding a bad overclock. If anything its mostly been praise as to how much faster it appears to be going for them..

As I said earlier, its just an idea.. maybe worth a shot.. maybe not..

Hope it helps.

be safe

I dont really understand this post. You say it shouldn't be underclocked but I dont have a leg to stand on. So by what your saying a company can advertise a machine has having a 2.5GHz CPU, underclock that CPU to 2.3GHz, lock it there so that becomes the native speed then sell has a 2.5GHz machine. They might be able to do that in the USA but not here in the UK they cant. Thats called false advertising. Besides I dont think you have read the post that this is all about. DELL dont have

a disagreement with me that the machine is faulty there own techs worked on it for 3 days before sending out a tech to my home who declared the PC unusable. But I payed for 3 years premium warranty and support and now DELL expects me to wait 2 months to get a replacement. This is in breach of our contract has well has the illegal stuff, dont tell me I dont have a leg to stand on, I also worked building and repairing computers for over 20 years and my feet are planted solidly on the ground.

Or are you saying that I said I wouldnt have a leg to stand on if I overclocked the CPU. I only say this because of the legal disclaimer a user must agree to unlock the controls in Nvidia control panel. This clearly states that a user does this at his own risk. Now if I start messing round with the overclock feature DELL could point this out but I never agreed to unlock my overclock feature a DELL rep did it, but I'd have a pretty hard time proving it. In fact the first thing he did once he had control of the PC was rush to control panel and unlock this feature and he did it so quick I barely had time to notice what he was doing.

Sorry I think I didnt get my point across properly. I was meant that I dont Think you would have a problem with overclocking the pc. Yes there has to be a disclaimer from Nvidia etc. As you know as well as I do, you can get people thinking, oh cool, I can go from a 2.4 right up to 4.0 straight off, and blow certain parts of the pc, instead of doing it with small increases.

What I was trying to say, is that they expect a overclock. Most Cpu's thse days are set a lower settings then they can comfortably run at, in order to achieve a larger overclock; depending on the other hardware involved too.

It could be as you mentioned in a earlier post, the fact that when they bench'ed it, it didnt bench as well as they expected it to go, due to inferior parts..

Re the DELL rep, do they have a similar thing to a keystroke logger, where they can tell what has been done on a particular machine?

I apologise I did not read the entire post regarding the premium warranty, and went off on a tangent. Hence the overclock.

I did not intend to infer you had no leg to stand on re the overclock, more the fact that Dell wouldnt have a leg to stand on. As I was trying to explain, they expect it to be done.

Sorry I've made another hash of this, I know what im trying to say, ust cant get the words out correctly. Call it a 2nd night with no sleep..

My apologies, and I'll stay away from this thread.

Have a great day

be safe

No need to stay away, your post could be read two different ways because of lack of a comma and we all do that. I understand what your saying but I'm sure if I put DELL under any type of legal pressure they will fall back on this disclaimer. That worrys me that when I thought they had logged onto my machine to help me maybe they were just covering there arse. I could reinstall the OS, all the faults would still be there but I dont really want to do that again with this machine. I just want a working machine, but this case. I love this case. lol

Thanks for understanding what I was trying to get across..

Do I take it then that DELL, could try and get away with this scenario..

You buy a computer off them, spec as agreed, few months down the line, you decide to increase the memory. So open the case up, and add a stick or 2 of ram. At some point in time, the pc goes faulty, you send it back to them, and they will say to you, sorry youve changed the spec of the machine, thus making our warranty null and void?.. Or right we have loaded x, y, and z onto the pc. You cannot load any other programs, else you void the warranty?, as this is what its starting to sound like with them..

Similar to they have installed the Nvidia graphics card, and associated software, but dont expect you to utilise the said software.

Why incidently, are they expecting you to wait 2 months for a replacement?, If you have said earlier in the thread again I apologise, and I will re-read the thread again in full..

have a good one. be safe JGG :)

To be honest I havent got to the bottom of why I have to wait 2 months. I'm expecting calls from DELL today. Ive already waited a month so I now have an EDD of 17th November. I imagine thats going to extend anytime I get near it thats what they have been doing. I think putting parts in the machine would be ok, the truth is DELL dont send copies of what they/you can and cant do with there extended warrantys its just a line of text on your invoice. They dont even give a clear idea of what your buying on there site with regards warranty I'll look into that. It does have 3 big green ticks if that means anything, each tick representing something you do get i.e. 24 hour support, 3 years hardware. No smallprint or anything really. It probly says we can sucker this person for every penny we can and give them shoddy unreliable dishonest goods and they can bleed tiil there dry and then we can stamp on them. Because thats what they are doing to me.

This really does sound a bit weird to me.. Then again im not a great admirer of extended warranties on desktops (only lappy's).

When I build a computer for a customer, I always attempt to get them to come back to me, should they need a upgrade etc, as my way of thinking is along the lines of..

PC spec is.. blah..

Cost is blah blah..

Upgrade, considering the customer buys the item from me, at a little over cost price, I will install it foc.

Warranty covered..

Or, upgrade, customer goes elsewhere, the other person / company installs said hardware, 2 weeks later, something goes wrong with the pc.

Who is responsible, and who picks up the bill for it?, Me as the system builder, or Company B, who last worked on it?

You would of thought there would of been guidelines as to what is and what is not covered under the premium warranty, compared to the normal warranty, and what the justification is for the higher premiums.

If nothing is mentioned, then to be honest, it should cover everything and anything.

Least thats my take on things..

I wasnt aware of this at the time but DELL are quite well known for ripping people off. In fact they were ordered to pay $4 million in new york recently for same. For me there was only two companies HP and DELL, I usually shop HP all my laptops are HP and all my PC's are self built. When I decided to make this purchase I'd saved 2 grand in an account which I didnt have a use for and mithered the lady to let me get a gaming system prebuilt has a treat me being very poorly and spending a lot of time at home. We have two homes see, mine and hers. Mines full of PC's hers didnt have any, anyway I'm drifting lol. HP didnt have gaming machines so I ended up with a company I didnt know anything about. Why doesnt HP make gaming systems? I'm gonna join the HP forum and start a thread.

Its all very dodgy whats been going on and I'm going to get to the bottom of it eventually. You know the real sad thing here. This machine would be awsome if it functioned correctly. The casing is cool but it weighs about 10KG in steel. They offered me another machine, half the price with no refund but I wouldnt accept because I was losing £800. This is the reason they are making me wait I think. They want me to accept a sub standard model. Apparently they no longer make the XPS630I they stopped production the week after I bought it.

The thing is DELL accepts the machine is faulty and have also agreed to replace it yet wont. This is how they get round some laws in the US, people complain and when an higher authority interviens DELL says yes were dealing with it and does nothing. Ive done some reading on this and that is how DELL is managing to divert the BBB in the USA. I'm not sure how this tactic will work here in the UK but people need to keep at them and do whatever it takes to make them honor there agreements. They are so big that individuals like me dont stand a chance on there own. But it wont stop me trying.:confused:

Well Ive just had a right result. I wrote to the TV program watchdog with regards my case and they have just been on the phone asking if I'm prepared to go on TV with my case and bloody hell damn right I am. This gives me the opportunity to show DELL that they cant keep hurting people this way. I'm well happy with that:D

Well Ive just had a right result. I wrote to the TV program watchdog with regards my case and they have just been on the phone asking if I'm prepared to go on TV with my case and bloody hell damn right I am. This gives me the opportunity to show DELL that they cant keep hurting people this way. I'm well happy with that:D

Well congratulations - if it happens!!

I noticed you are seeking that '0.5' multiplier having looked up a few things. I also noticed that with myself under stress (as I d/l the latest Nvidia graphics drivers) my own processor will do x9 making the true 2400mhz. I also noticed that if you have XP, in 'Control Panel' under 'Power Options' (apart from bios if any adjustment there is possible but should have been done as a default) that the setting should be 'Minimal Power Management'. Unfortunately only my PhysX and graphics card come under the Nvidia control panel. I noticed your posts in Dell forums. If you are running winXP I thought I'd mention that it will only show 3mb of ram no matter how much you have installed (but i'm sure you knew that anyhow).

Hmm, this overclocking idea might catch on with me though. Sadly I think I'm limited in the Dell machine to 4mb of ram even though I've seen 8mb mentioned for my processor.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Well congratulations - if it happens!!

I noticed you are seeking that '0.5' multiplier having looked up a few things. I also noticed that with myself under stress (as I d/l the latest Nvidia graphics drivers) my own processor will do x9 making the true 2400mhz. I also noticed that if you have XP, in 'Control Panel' under 'Power Options' (apart from bios if any adjustment there is possible but should have been done as a default) that the setting should be 'Minimal Power Management'. Unfortunately only my PhysX and graphics card come under the Nvidia control panel. I noticed your posts in Dell forums. If you are running winXP I thought I'd mention that it will only show 3mb of ram no matter how much you have installed (but i'm sure you knew that anyhow).

Hmm, this overclocking idea might catch on with me though. Sadly I think I'm limited in the Dell machine to 4mb of ram even though I've seen 8mb mentioned for my processor.

Michael

There use to be an option in the BIOS of some machines called C/N ratio which allows you to add the 0.5 to the multiplier but with these main boards they have changed the name to N/2 ratio. This setting was disabled in my BIOS and Ive tried enabling it but because the frequency has been locked to 2333MHz in the overclock feature this has now become the CPU ceiling. Can you tell me if you have any option for Agia PhysX in your control panel because although I have a Agia PhysX card no options are there for it. There is an option for Nvidia PhysX but when I click DEMO on that I get a blank window but none of the Nvidia controls work, I can move the sliders but nothing happens. Yes I know XP will only show 3mb, Vista 32 bit only utilizes 3mb so the system saying 4mb is wrong on my laptop. These big companies alter this stuff to make it look better

that is one heck of a gaming pc.. would love to get my hands on that, and see what i could push it too lol..

currently have a asus p5k, q6600, running at a cool 3.8ghz on air, with 6gb ram, and a 3870x2 gc. awesome overclocking board, and cpu combo..

self built bout 18 months ago, its the powerhorse for the workshop..

any chance of getting a refund off dell?, is it a possibility do you think?

I must need my head testing going to DELL for a machine, look at the specs on this monster, DELL charge you that much just for the CPU I want a refund MESH Computers - Award Winning Review PCs Since 1987 - XGS+ i7 Advantage

... and you are making this link because you want everyone to be envious .... and want one??!! - Which they DO!! :D

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

I shouldnt have really posted that link here because this thread is related to DELL complaints procedure. I was thinking about removing it but decided against it because it is relevant. If like me you came here to complain about DELL and the shoddy way you have been treated, if your here because its a new purchase then my advise is go for the refund option. They can not refuse this.

If like me you googled Gaming machine when thinking about making a purchase DELL would have been the first link shown on the page. Ive since realised how stupid I was to click that link. The machine in the link above would cost you twice has much from DELL maybe more. So if your here and refund is an option take that option. If not then click the link in RELAX's post way back there if you get no responce click it again and complain again.

Yes I know XP will only show 3mb, Vista 32 bit only utilizes 3mb so the system saying 4mb is wrong on my laptop. These big companies alter this stuff to make it look better

It's correct to show that you have 4GB of RAM because you have 4GB of Physical RAMinstalled.

The 3GB or 3.25GB that you see in Task MAnager, etc. is what is left of the addressable space (Virtual RAM, NOT Pysical RAM) that is assigned to your physical RAM after devices that require addressable space (Graphics Cards, Bios, PhysX, Sound Cards, CPU, anything that needs a driver, etc.) have been allocated.

Vista, by Default, shows the physical ram and not the Addressable Space assigned to your physical RAM.

As for the CPU problem, that is VERY odd. Dell should be up and replacing that very quickly as either the processor is faulty and passing the wrong auto configuration value to the BIOS or the BIOS has issues.

As I recal, alot of boards had problems with the .5 multipliers when they were introduced by Intel.

I take it that Dell have had you update the Bios?

Tried disabling Speed Step/ EIST?

H

It's correct to show that you have 4GB of RAM because you have 4GB of Physical RAMinstalled.

The 3GB or 3.25GB that you see in Task MAnager, etc. is what is left of the addressable space (Virtual RAM, NOT Pysical RAM) that is assigned to your physical RAM after devices that require addressable space (Graphics Cards, Bios, PhysX, Sound Cards, CPU, anything that needs a driver, etc.) have been allocated.

Vista, by Default, shows the physical ram and not the Addressable Space assigned to your physical RAM.

As for the CPU problem, that is VERY odd. Dell should be up and replacing that very quickly as either the processor is faulty and passing the wrong auto configuration value to the BIOS or the BIOS has issues.

As I recal, alot of boards had problems with the .5 multipliers when they were introduced by Intel.

I take it that Dell have had you update the Bios?

Tried disabling Speed Step/ EIST?

H

I'm not too familiar with this BIOS but it has several conflicting statements. In settings in the overclock feature it is set at 2333MHz with a multiplier of 7X these settings are greyed out so cant be altered. To the right of that under current value it has 2500MHz and 7.5X this Ive taken to be the readings from the CPU. With N/2 enabled I cant get the CPU to reach higher than 2333MHz no matter what I do and in the CPU setting the multiplier is set at 7X and also greyed out. The only way to increase the CPU speed is to increase the FSB. The machine has many other problems I think are related to the PCIe bus because all these components have problems. DELL havent advised updating the BIOS they just want the machine back but are making me wait 2 months for a replacement so I'm taking the refund option. They have stopped production of the machine altogether so I imagine the problems became too much. The system in control panel also reads 2.5GHz no matter what the speed of the CPU even though I have speed step enabled and I gather its taking this data from the BIOS current value which is wrong. If intel was having problems with the 0.5 how can they carry on selling the CPUs has a 2.5GHz. The native speed of this CPU is 2333MHz and that can only be increased by changing the FSB but you can do that with any CPU. Besides that DELL should make sure there machines are running at the speed they are selling them at, N/2 wasnt even enabled when I received this PC not that it did any good but its clearly stated has a 2.5GHz machine.

This is were I'm unclear and you might be able to help here. Because in settings in the overclock feature of the BIOS are set at 2333MHz will that prevent the N/2 adding the 0.5? Also the CPU settings in Nvidia control panel for the CPU also show 2333MHz and multiplier 7X which I know to be the true value from testing.

Edited by Mykill100

H

If this is so why does Everest report 3GB under physical memory on my 32 bit vista system yet reports 8GB on my 64bit system, both systems have all the same devices requiring addressable space in fact the 64bit machines has a lot more. I know there is 4GB and system isnt lying but Vista's 32bit versions actually limit how much memory you can use in practice to 3.12GB (See support.microsoft.com/kb/929605)

Edited by Mykill100

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks