Issues with Sofa from Barker & Stonehouse

Ajr3773
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Purchased a sofa in a clearance sale two weeks ago. Condition report issued at time of sale advised as excellent condition, no damage. 

Sofa was delivered this week with damage to the arm (small tear) estimated to cost £400 to repair if fabric can be matched. Worse still, it arrived having had the fabric swatch and fire safety label cut out. Not the cardboard tag you normally get, but the label that is sewn into the front edge of the sofa inclusive of the batch number. 

Driver advised it should never have left the warehouse. Barker and Stonehouse CS are advising it’s clearly come off in transit and they can send new ones in the post. 

Despite arguing with them, that’s it’s not the triangular cardboard tag I’m talking about, but the sewn in label, they are insisting it was there at time of sale. They can’t guarantee this. 

They now want to send out Homserve to inspect and prince a damage report for the arm before deciding on next steps but in regards the missing fire label, they’re now asking me what I want to happen next. 

To further complicate matters, we also purchased a matching chair that had a 2 Inch split in the fabric on the face of the arm, where it meets the leg. We were fully aware of this at POS and had no issues with this.

This one turned up with missing cushions, despite us taking images at time of sale showing it complete with cushions. 

if the sofa needs to go back, I’ve been advised it’s highly unlikely I’ll get a replacement that is a colour match, especially as the label is missing with the batch number. 

They keep stating they’re aware of the Fire & Furniture regulations but my question is, should this have been sold if not advised. Secondly, let’s say the labels were cut out post sale, should QA have allowed this to leave the warehouse? Their own drivers say not! 

The total estimate to repair the damage if I was to arrange myself is £500, but then I’m missing cushions, that they don’t know they can find and ensure they are forwarded. 

Homeserve will produce a damage report and I dare say offer proposals for repair as well as potentially repairing at a cost to Barker & Stonehouse but then I’m still left with an issue of having no fire label and the possibility of no cushions. 

I’ve had 2 exchanges with CS and they are proofing difficult to say the least. It’s as though they’ve shifted furniture they knew they’d struggle to sell if advertised correctly. 

It's not clear whether you bought this sofa at the retailer's premises or whether you bought it online or by the telephone.

In terms of the chair, I'm assuming it is this that is missing its cushions – not the sofa.

I understand that this all happened two weeks ago. Under the consumer rights act you have 30 days to reject the defective items and to insist on a refund or repair – at your option.

You should start off by writing a letter asserting your rights under the consumer rights act and inform them that you are rejecting the item. Tell them that you want to know what arrangements they are going to make to remove the sofa and the chair and to refund your money.

Tell them that they can send home serve out if they want – but unless they remove the sofa before the expiry of 14 days that you will also be living a storage charge of £10 a day for both items.

Tell them that whatever home serve report – the item is rejected and the contract is terminated. Tell them that this is not open to any negotiation.
Tell them that if they are not sure that they had better consult the consumer rights act quickly because time is running now.

How did you pay?

Take photos – send the letter. It's important to send a letter now in order to get your foot in the door.

After that we can see what their reaction is and take necessary action.

Presumably you want to get rid of the items