Espresso Machine problem - can't find a part

Geronimo1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Breville espresso machine VCF107 on August 19th 2021. A few weeks ago it started spitting out hot water from above the filter basket so with a small brush, I cleaned out the area where it fits which often gets coffee clogged in there but it didn't help much. Today, I decided to take a closer look which meant taking off the tanks and other bits so that I could turn it upside down and discovered that the gasket had a gouge in it about 3mm across just at the point where there is an alignment notch in the filter basket. No problem, I thought. I'll just buy a new gasket.

I have spent more than a couple of hours today looking for a replacement gasket and although there are gaskets available for most Breville espresso machines, there aren't any for the model I have. I thought that maybe all Breville might use the same mechanism and therefore the same gasket but the one I have has three notches which align with the bayonet and none of those I found have any notches.

Anyway, I suppose what it boils down to (no pun intended), is what are the consumer rights, if any given that I bought it 19 months ago, in this situation? I intend to phone Breville to see if they have any spares but I thought it might be useful to be armed with information before I do so.

It doesn't help that the company I bought it through seems to be inactive at the moment.

under your consumer rights in the uk a product should last upto 6yrs, now that's debateable dependant upon the product, but you'd certainly expect several years, 

so you can quote your consumer rights.

gotta a picture?

convert it to PDF and unload it.

i work on numerous domestic products and have found most, but yes its hard!! the best Breville help ive always had is actually going outside the UK and phoning france/spain. but ebay/amazon usually have most bits.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the reply.

It's a bit late to be dismantling it again but I will do so tomorrow.

However, I have searched exhaustively on eBay, Amazon and AliExpress as well as Google Images (which I find much better for finding the right thing visually).

sure know the issues...

superglue time?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have enclosed a PDF showing both top and bottom and one photo showing the gouge with dimensions.

I don't know if superglue works on silicone but I'm pretty sure that hot glue would be pointless.

breville-vcf107-gasket.pdf

I just spoke to somebody at Breville and they don't have spare gaskets for this model.

I was told to reply to an e-mail with various photos showing various details including the receipt and model number etc. and somebody will decide whether they will fix it or not

- so given that it is outside the stated one-year warranty,

I don't know what will happen and what I should say if they don't offer to repair it.

forget warranty, means nothing not worth paper they are written on in the uk.

consumer rights and laws are your weapon here and you'll win be it by replacement or refund minus 2 years usage

where did you purchase it from?

they are your target.

and they

so last photo inner ring thats the blast thru fault i see? 

and they

I bought it from an eBay registered business seller (Strawberry Trading) with over 102K sales but they seem to have gone inactive.

The blast through fault, as you describe it, seems to line up perfectly with the alignment notches on the filter basket holder and basket - see how it is midway between the notches - maybe a design flaw.

I used to have a previous model branded Oster which I bought in 2012 and was exactly the same mechanism but with a different fascia on which the handle kept breaking. I repaired it half a dozen times because I couldn't find one in the UK. I ended up having to buy one for a differently branded model from the US. That one also broke and the machine gave up completely but I kind of like its operation so I bought the similar Breville model.

this one?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Welcome to my eBay Shop. Please add me to your list of favourite sellers and come again. Thank you for your business.

superglue will be fine - its rubber - superglue loves the stuff - remember the old original lifting a mini on a crane advert from the 70's.

just dont use too much, a pin head drop should do, then push the joint together ,if you use too much it will create wall of glue that will crack if squashed, a tiny tiny amount of the glue should soak into the rubber and bond across the surface if you squeeze it together for about 30secs.

and they

Yes, that one.

Regarding gluing, there isn't any material to glue together as it is just a ragged hole.

Anyway, I'm waiting on Breville to get back to me before I do anything. I've also considered trying to find a cheap second-hand one to cannibalise if all else fails.

Is the gasket silicone?

You could take a look at something called Sil-Poxy.

It's meant to be a Silicone adhesive, but apparently can be "layered" to fill gaps.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Thanks for the tip. I will bear it in mind if Breville won't help.

Wow, that stuff isn't cheap. I think I'd be better off buying a second hand one and using the gasket out of that.

Well, I sent the  e-mail to Breville with the photos they requested on Monday and have not heard anything from them yet 

thinking about when I should phone them back but it occurred to me that I am not sure what legislation to quote to them,

not least because I am in Scotland and the company I bought from as well as Breville UK are in England.

It may be of little actual difference given that England and Wales say an item should be usable for six years, Scotland say five and I have only had it for 19 months but it would be useful to sound like I know what I am talking about if anybody can guide me, please.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015. The act applies to England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland (with the exception of section 27). It was introduced to consolidate the previous legislation, to help consumers better understand their rights.

https://www.mygov.scot/consumer-rights#:~:text=You have the right to,you when you bought it

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I don't know why but my last post disappeared in front of my eyes.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. However, my question was really about which jurisdiction applies, that of the seller or that of the buyer?

It was interesting to read that he period of reasonable expected use takes into consideration that items like a cheap kettle might not be expected to last as long as higher quality items - that kinda puts companies in a cleft stick because if they try to get out of their obligations, then they are implying that are conceding that their goods are low quality.

Jurisdiction is irrelevant.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I just saw that my last two posts have been mashed together.

How is jurisdiction irrelevant?

If I live in Scotland and buy from a seller in England, are my rights the same as if I lived in England and bought from a seller in Scotland given that they have different legislation?

there is no differing legislation..

and they

Try telling that to Humza Yousaf.

Anyway, I found a legal blog on the subject which seemed to indicate that in the case of debt at least, an appellant in England could not enforce the six year limitation on a respondent in Scotland where the limitation is five years. But the matter was not settled and was due for debate in Glasgow Sheriffs Court.

I have only had it for 19 months

At least quote the whole sentence, I already acknowledged that:

'It may be of little actual difference given that England and Wales say an item should be usable for six years, Scotland say five and I have only had it for 19 months but it would be useful to sound like I know what I am talking about if anybody can guide me, please.'

When the legislation is unclear, as it is when it says 'up to six years' and evidently dependent on the item in question (say, a cheap kettle vs a top brand television), there is obviously no definitive line to point at, so I was simply trying to establish at least which legislation to quote. I'm used to companies finding loopholes so simply wanted to preempt that.

thats to do with debt nothing to do with consumer law...forget it, up tree wrong barking.

as i said in about the 1st few posts, against the retailer you maybe entitled to a refund minus commensurate usage loss

against breville, wont work , they were not he retailer, but the manu.

dx

and they