police car problems

nerrad123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

is there any way you can report a police car going through traffic lights for no reason. i had to pull over the other evening and let this police car past as it had its sirens going, only to catch up with it about 1 mile up the road, sat at a junction, it was heading the same direction i was travelleng so i followed it to find out it was going to the local police station, i was so annoyed and i need to let steam out so any help will be grateful. thanks in advance:mad:

Hi

I work in the ambulance service and sometimes you get a red call that means you have to go all out blues and sirens only to be stood down a few minutes later as no longer required.

It may well be this is what happened. you are not allowed to use lights and sirens for any other reason.

Hope this helps.

They could of actually been attending a call there.

I have to point out that it is very frustrating when you are on a red call and motorists fail to move................this could actually cost someone their life!

Yeah perhaps the coffee's and rolls were part of the evidence?

I always move personnally where its safe to do so but people have been prosecuted for moving through red lights when they have been caught on cameras (to let the emergency services through) and appeals have failed.

There is no legal requirement in this country to give way or move over for a vehicle with blue lights. It is nothing more than a request for precedence.

Many times the advice from the Police is only that you should be aware - they will find a way round you. In moving traffic, vehicles braking to move over can cause more delay than simply keeping moving.

It is also unfortunate that motorists who are safely crossing red lights to get out of the way of a blue light vehicle are getting fined for it (as Paul says above)

is there any way you can report a police car going through traffic lights for no reason.

How do you know it was for no reason. Do you know for a fact that they were not responding to an emergency call?

i had to pull over the other evening and let this police car past as it had its sirens going, only to catch up with it about 1 mile up the road, sat at a junction, it was heading the same direction i was travelleng so i followed it to find out it was going to the local police station,

Nothing strange there. Police officers work out of police stations..... in fact most spend approxiamtely 50 to 60% of their time there filling out paperwork to do with measuring their lack of performance (due to the levels of paperwork) rather than tackling crime.

i was so annoyed and i need to let steam out so any help will be grateful. thanks in advance:mad:

Why were you annoyed? Was it because you had correctly given way to an emergency vehicle? Or thought it was unfair that they passed you in heavy traffic seemingly in an effort to get home on time?

Police often respond to emergency calls.

If the first unit to respond is, say, 3 miles from the scene and they are assigned, but then another unit becomes free a few minutes later and is closer, then the initial unit responding may get stood down as the second unit will get there sooner.

If a unit is stood down from an emergency call and are no longer attending, then they MUST switch off the emergency warning sirens & lights and resume normal driving, sticking to speed limits and obeying traffic signs. Not doing so can loose the driver their job & face prosecution for dangerous driving etc.

Also, police driver training often practice driving on blues through different traffic conditions. On a three week standard car course then the three trainees in the car may be doing this all over the county literally hundreds of times. They also need to take regular breaks, so heading for the station for a tea break is always done after a couple of hours at the wheel.

And speaking of blues runs to get a takeaway, all I can say is anyone silly enough to do this deserves to loose their job... as that's what they are risking.

Police officers need to eat, like other people. The only difference is that the rest of the population are employed & get a lunch break at a set time, as required by law. Police officers are servants of the Queen and as such are not 'employed'.

They are allowed 45 minutes for 'refreshments' but this can only be taken if & when there is a lull in the jobs that need responding to.

So, yes, you may see officers in Greggs getting a pastie or at the local Chinese takeaway grabbing some unhealthy food, but spare a thought for those who don't actually get to eat it as they get called away to job after job after job; and if they managed to find time to get food it is long cold & congealed by the time they get back to it.

In most instances the Police do abide by the rules where 'standing down' is concerned but in addition to the OP in this thread I'd like to voice my concerns on the subject of the Police in both 'marked' vehicles and 'unmarked' vehicles speeding, pulling from the sliproad straight out to lane 2, etc without any blue lights or sirens displayed.

Instance: I was travelling out of our local town the other day, on a dual carrigeway (70mph limit) when a 'marked' Police Volvo, launched itself from the on-ramp to lane 2 in between cars causing some in lane 1 to brake. The Volvo increased its speed and was leaving me behind quite rapidly, even though I was travelling at the limit! No sirens or blue lights were displayed. Surely this is against the rules, and who moniters this kind of behaviour, can we as the general public request the officer in question to stop and express our dissatisfaction wiith their conduct on the road. After all if we were doing the same we'd get a ticket!!!!

PS: the officer pulled into a lay-by further up the road to monitor traffic!!!!!!!

I await respoonses

Chris:)

I've always been under the impression, never confirmed, that a police car must obey all traffic rules - including speeding, red lights, parking - unless they are in pursuit.

I've never been sure whether emergency driving to a destination is covered legally if they speed, cross red lights etc. Naturally it should be legal for them to do so, but perhaps because they are so unlikely to be prosecuted the law has been left behind.

I do know that they park with little regard to laws (safety aside, I'm sure they will attempt to park safely) and I've often wondered if the traffic wardens are tempted to give them a ticket (writing as I do from a council that gives tickets for everything).

Theres no requirement for them to display the blue lights. Speed / red light rules can be disobayed for 'POLICE PURPOSES'.

Says nothing in the acts about having to have lights illuminated.

I wouldn't like the police to come to a burglary in progress at my house with lights and sirens blazing - sort of gives the burglars some advance warning of impending arrival ..............

We DONT know what the officers were doing, if they got stood down, or if they are waiting for a stolen vehicle to pass etc. Big flashy lights tend to give the game away.

I had a shoplifter before christmas kicking off, and trying to get his needles out to threaten my staff. Police called on the 'hurry up', and assisted us disarm the shoplifter.

As we dragged him out to the van, a member of the public shouted at the officer ' couldnt be bothered to walk, could you ?' at him - all because he had dumped his car at the front entrance to the store.

Ive stopped shoplifters with needles and knives in their clothing. When they resist, we restrain them. The number of people who make ill thought out comments, 'let him go' etc etc. - Wait until these people are being robbed by the same druggie - then they want help !!!!!.

People who dont know whats going on should keep their mouth shut, and noses out.

All opinions & information are the personal view of the poster, and are not that of any organisation, company or employer. Any information disclosed by the poster is for personal use only. Permission to process this data under the Data Protection act is NOT GIVEN to any company, only personal readers.

I do know that they park with little regard to laws (safety aside, I'm sure they will attempt to park safely) and I've often wondered if the traffic wardens are tempted to give them a ticket (writing as I do from a council that gives tickets for everything).

Normally, the TRO will give a blanket exception to emergency vehicles. And you can't have parking restrictions without a TRO

police vehicles have exemptions to certain road traffic rules. traffic directional signs, speeding, parking etc however these are all discretional and must be justified by the officer. Under normal patrol the officer should be sticking to the rules like everyone else. sometimes however an officer may be making a silent approach without lights or sirens and therefore it appears to members of public that they are flaunting their discretion.

Instance: I was travelling out of our local town the other day, on a dual carrigeway (70mph limit) when a 'marked' Police Volvo, launched itself from the on-ramp to lane 2 in between cars causing some in lane 1 to brake. The Volvo increased its speed and was leaving me behind quite rapidly, even though I was travelling at the limit! No sirens or blue lights were displayed.

I await respoonses

Chris:)

I can't comment on why this incident happened as I don't know the facts.

However it is common practice, when a serious incident has occurred, that all available police units set up 'points' to contain any vehicles that were involved (eg armed robbery).

The aim is to contain all routes from the scene that the target vehicle may take.

In a serious incident the aim is to get 'on point' before the target vehicle pases, thus achieving containment in the area they are expected to be.

While making for the 'point' each unit does not really want to show themselves too much as they may come across the target car. The game would be up if the police unit spotted the target car while on blues & twos and then started to follow them.... even criminals are not that stupid :D

So a fast but low visibility response is required.

Surely this is against the rules, and who moniters this kind of behaviour, can we as the general public request the officer in question to stop and express our dissatisfaction wiith their conduct on the road. After all if we were doing the same we'd get a ticket!!!!

PS: the officer pulled into a lay-by further up the road to monitor traffic!!!!!!!

Its not against the rules, however it should be justifiable.

If you want to try pulling over a police car that is breaking the speed limit, then try if you like. The problem will be that you do not have any dispensation to exceed speed limits, and in following the police car at abopve the speed limit you can be prosecuted. You can also be prosecuted for wasting police time if, for example, that unit was responding to an incident and you have hindered that response.

Phone up whichever police force it is by all means and complain if you feel like it. This happens all the time. It will be investigated and the officer involved probably interviewed under caution (much the same as a criminal). If they were justified in their manner of driving then there will be no penalty for them.

In my case, before I exceed the speed limit or pass through a traffic light at red I always ask myself 'am I justified in doing this' and 'is it safe'. If either is no, then I won't risk my job, pension and a driving conviction just to get to a job a few seconds quicker.

A few weeks ago on a very empty M3 I had to move from lane 1 to lane 3 to overtake something sitting in the middle lane at 65mph.

Now ordinarily I must admit I'd just have gone past it on the left and hit the horn as I went past, but on that day I was being well behaved.

There was nothing else coming up behind before I moved or after. Then in a flash a car was one foot off my bumper aggressively flashing headlights at me to move.

I thought to Hell with you and at about 75mph went past it and moved back to lane 1. Seconds later the moron flew past - it was a Police car, no sirens or lights.

It did occur to me at the time to report the bad driving, after all these are meant to be Class 1 drivers. Had I gone past on the left I might then have been prosecuted and the police car could have pulled over the middle lane hog for a chat, but clearly wasn't interested. But then I cannot be 100% sure I didn't miss seeing it nor can I be sure it wasn't in a hurry for a good reason.

In short: you don't know the facts 100% and nor did I so I'd agree with the other posters this is best left alone.

Theres no requirement for them to display the blue lights. Speed / red light rules can be disobayed for 'POLICE PURPOSES'.

Says nothing in the acts about having to have lights illuminated.

I wouldn't like the police to come to a burglary in progress at my house with lights and sirens blazing - sort of gives the burglars some advance warning of impending arrival ..............

We DONT know what the officers were doing, if they got stood down, or if they are waiting for a stolen vehicle to pass etc. Big flashy lights tend to give the game away.

I had a shoplifter before christmas kicking off, and trying to get his needles out to threaten my staff. Police called on the 'hurry up', and assisted us disarm the shoplifter.

As we dragged him out to the van, a member of the public shouted at the officer ' couldnt be bothered to walk, could you ?' at him - all because he had dumped his car at the front entrance to the store.

Ive stopped shoplifters with needles and knives in their clothing. When they resist, we restrain them. The number of people who make ill thought out comments, 'let him go' etc etc. - Wait until these people are being robbed by the same druggie - then they want help !!!!!.

People who dont know whats going on should keep their mouth shut, and noses out.

Thanks George. Most people don't understand what police do & deal with on a daily basis.

In most jobs the most confrontational thing people face at work is a slightly peeved boss, and the most dangerous thing a paper cut while photocopying :D

Police work involves dealing with the most nasty, disgusting, violent, drugged, drunk, filthy, infectious and angry people on a daily basis. Its nothing like an office job, and to be honest most people would be shocked by what has to be dealt with.

The public expect the police to be there when they call them, and can't understand when they don't turn up in 5 minutes :shock: Of course everybody is entitled to a fair and prompt service, but soemtimes some emergencies take precedence over others. For example, someone who has been stabbed takes precedence over someopne who has received a nasty phone call...... but some people don't understand this.

They also expect the police to be polite with everyone, so seeing someone pinned on the ground by three police officers, apparently brutally assaulting this person, well that's not on. Some people even try to release the detained person!

Possibly this is because its outside their 'world map' and appears to be police brutality, they've never experienced voilence; never been assaulted by a drunken idiot out for a fight and never been in fear of their lives like the victim...

It isn't an ordinary 9 to 5 job, and it isn't for everyone as the pressures can be overwhelming...... but it can be the most rewarding job in the world, at times ;)

A few weeks ago on a very empty M3 I had to move from lane 1 to lane 3 to overtake something sitting in the middle lane at 65mph.

Now ordinarily I must admit I'd just have gone past it on the left and hit the horn as I went past, but on that day I was being well behaved.

There was nothing else coming up behind before I moved or after. Then in a flash a car was one foot off my bumper aggressively flashing headlights at me to move.

I thought to Hell with you and at about 75mph went past it and moved back to lane 1. Seconds later the moron flew past - it was a Police car, no sirens or lights.

It did occur to me at the time to report the bad driving, after all these are meant to be Class 1 drivers. Had I gone past on the left I might then have been prosecuted and the police car could have pulled over the middle lane hog for a chat, but clearly wasn't interested. But then I cannot be 100% sure I didn't miss seeing it nor can I be sure it wasn't in a hurry for a good reason.

In short: you don't know the facts 100% and nor did I so I'd agree with the other posters this is best left alone.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. Guess I wasn't looking in my mirrors often enough :D Even at 140mph the approaching car should register in the mirror at some point :?

I got a dirty look as the traffic car sped off...... that's traffic officers for you LOL

On empty motorways they often don't use their lights or sirens as at those speeds lights won't be seen as people don't look in their mirrors :oops: and sirens are useless above 60mph anyway as nobody can hear them above road & wind noise.

I'm happy with the idea that people shouldn't comment on things they don't know about, but I absolutely disagree that they should "keep their noses out". The police - and indeed the population at large - must be open to scrutiny, and it is not unreasonable for part of that scrutiny to be the alert eyes of the general public going about their everyday business and observing the police and others without crossing the line to harassment, intrusion and so on.

After all, the police will often act on a suspicion formed by observing behaviour which is or may be criminal or otherwise against the rules. Why shouldn't the general public form similar conclusions and suspicions from observing the police? And if somebody says "why are you restraining this man in this way" you should explain it to them, not resent them.

With respect, if you're a serving officer in the UK, how dare you say that.

I'm happy with the idea that people shouldn't comment on things they don't know about, but I absolutely disagree that they should "keep their noses out". The police must be open to scrutiny, and it is not unreasonable for part of that scrutiny to be the alert eyes of the general public going about their everyday business and observing the police.

After all, the police will often act on a suspicion formed by observing behaviour which is or may be criminal or otherwise against the rules. Why shouldn't the general public form similar conclusions and suspicions from observing the police? And if somebody says "why are you restraining this man in this way" you should explain it to them, not resent them.

Extremely well put.

There is no legal requirement in this country to give way or move over for a vehicle with blue lights. It is nothing more than a request for precedence.

Many times the advice from the Police is only that you should be aware - they will find a way round you. In moving traffic, vehicles braking to move over can cause more delay than simply keeping moving.

It is also unfortunate that motorists who are safely crossing red lights to get out of the way of a blue light vehicle are getting fined for it (as Paul says above)

If you hold up an emergency vehicle when on a shout then you CAN be charged with obstruction & in the case of the Police obstructing a police officer in the performance of his/her duties.

Some years ago in the North East a motorist refused to allow an ambulance past causing delay & was reported by the crew, arrested, charged & convicted of causing an obstruction

If you hold up an emergency vehicle when on a shout then you CAN be charged with obstruction & in the case of the Police obstructing a police officer in the performance of his/her duties.

Some years ago in the North East a motorist refused to allow an ambulance past causing delay & was reported by the crew, arrested, charged & convicted of causing an obstruction

Could you provide a reference/link to that case please.

There is nothing specific in law about emergency vehicles having any priority whatsoever, and I have had this confirmed by Class 1 police drivers.

And it is a absolute statement of truth, that no driver is permitted to break the law to allow priority to an emergency vehicel. Look at the people being prosecuted for crossing red lights.

Nerrad 123, Could you explain as to why your thread warrants entry onto a Consumer action group site to help people with Consumer problems?. Have you complained to your local police re the incident? :confused::rolleyes:

After all, the police will often act on a suspicion formed by observing behaviour which is or may be criminal or otherwise against the rules. Why shouldn't the general public form similar conclusions and suspicions from observing the police?

Fair point, but in my humble opinion there is MUCH less criminal activity within Police forces that within the general public, and those that have the wish to monitor and find fault within Police activity would better serve the community at large keeping an eye out for criminal activity and reporting that to Police.

In my experience, of incidents I have knowledge of and indeed complaints against myself, no complaint from members of the public about Police behaviour has ever been upheld. All they have done is serve to waste more police time, divert resources and remove officers from front line duties (albeit for a short period of time for most complaints).

Then you have the criminals that complain to divert focus away from their activities :eek: Lets just say that if a complaint is made then the officer is tradted as guilty until proven innocent.

And if somebody says "why are you restraining this man in this way" you should explain it to them, not resent them.

Practically this is not normally possible, as restraining them on the floor it can be quite a pyhsical struggle.....

I've had drunken abuse from what appear to be middle class, probably normally level headed people who have seen the tail end of an incident & decided to 'help' the person arrested. They get in the way, demanding that the person is released, film it on their mobile phones getting far too close (when you're wrestling with someone on the floor the last thing you want is an angry mob behind you).

And they aren't normally as polite as your wording :(

emergency services may go through red lights.

Emergency services may not put lives in danger.

Does that clear it up?

Maybe you need some portable blues and two's

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/