Sparkler V Barclays

sparkler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

what a great site, I hate banks who charge and it puts such a smile on my face that you guys have stood up to them!

anyway enough of my waffle. I am starting the ball rolling with claiming back the money which barclays have charged me and my hubby over the years. I have looked in the library and to be honest i'm still confused. So in a nutshell i think this is what i need to do...I need to send a letter to the DPA asking for 6 years worth of charges?...once i've received these i then write to barclays with the exact amount and ask for the money back is that right?...Would somebody mind posting the link to the template which i need to send the letter to the DPA?. is it titled Data Protection Act, Subject Access Request letter - List of charges ?

Also the Barclays account used to be in my husbands name he added me when we got married and made this our joint account. However i'm sure he had charges before i was on the account. Is it best if he claims?, as technically i've only had this account since 2004. He's had it for years. And one last thing...most of the times we've been charged we were overdrawn (over our overdraft) or we didn't have enough money in the bank to pay for a direct debit. Can we still claim?, i don't want to write to them only for them to state the obvious...thanks for your help...

Good luck with all your claims!

:)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome.

Yes, that's the DPA letter (don't forget to send £10 fee) and since the DPA is a request for information about a person (not an account) it would be best to apply in your husband's name.

While you waiting for a reply have a good read of the FAQs here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

There's a step by step guide here too. You might want to print them out sao they're always to hand.

Any problems, just post on your thread here.

I have one more question...

Where do i find the address where i need to send the letter to?...(DPA letter)

I checked on the link on that page but it doesnt look right

Thanks again

Hi guys,

I have just copied the DPA template letter which i need to send, but i can't seem to find an address of where i need to send it? (barclays)

can somebody please point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot

Threads merged

You have asked this question already and got a response - please stick to one thread and do not duplicate questions.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Michael,

where was that address listed just so i know for any future addresses i might need...

apologies about the 2 thread thing, having a blonde day...;)

Thanks again

Hi folks...

I spent most of last night reading all the info before i started my claim so i have well and truly overdosed on it now...but i have a quick question...

Presuming that most people are using the same template letter (DPA one) and sending it to the same person at Barclays, I was wondering if Barclays are going to twig on that actually I have no idea what i'm talking about and will start to fob people off (me included)?...I understand most of it, but obviously i'm not familiar with the law and all the in's and outs of it, and seeing that they must be recieving alot of letters in the same format i was wondering if this is going to go against us?. I guess what i'm asking (for those who can actually make sense of what im trying to say) is do you think it's a good idea to change the letter slightly so it actually looks like i have written it myself, and i'm confident in what i'm talking about etc...

any replies greatly appreciated

Hi,

I would say that 'Strength in numbers' is what this forum is all about.

When the bank receive your letter they will know that you are part of the huge number of people who are using this forum for help and assistance and will not be in any doubt that you will always get the correct legal help and support at the right time throughout your claim process.

I would see this as a great benefit and not a hinderance.

Good luck with your claim,

Baz

Halifax - Won £425.00

American Express - Won £90.00

Woolwich Bank - Won £2280.00

Barclaycard - Won £558.00

Woolwich Bank - New claim for £723.00 entered.

Barclaycard - New claim for £236.00 entered

Sparkler,

Its as well to be aware that Barclays are the worse bank of all for their stalling tactics but if you stick to your timetable and follow the rules of engagement to the letter you will, I have no doubt, be successful.

Go get 'em,

Baz

Halifax - Won £425.00

American Express - Won £90.00

Woolwich Bank - Won £2280.00

Barclaycard - Won £558.00

Woolwich Bank - New claim for £723.00 entered.

Barclaycard - New claim for £236.00 entered

Hi guys,

I sent the data protection letter off last week and recieved a reply back from peter townsend who must be a very busy guy right now...I think it was a standard letter that most people get, as it said that they would provide statements free of charge this time. I'm going to get the letter ready so that as soon as we get the statements i just need to put the figure in and then send it off...But i have a question. Will they send statements for the last six years?. This is gonna take me ages, i reckon they owe us thousands!!! And are they actual statements with everything we've spent or will it just be a list of bank charges?...

Thanks very much

Sparkler

Hi Sparkler,

I recd statements from last six years in two very fat envelopes...It took a few hours but I went through highlighting all the charges as they were statements with everything on.

Good Luck

Deb :-D

Thanks Deb, i'm quite looking froward to seeing how much they owe me, in an odd way!!! So once i recieve the statements and work out how much they owe me using the spreadsheets i need to send a Preliminary approach for repayment. letter? is that right?. This is in the library right?...

Thanks again peeps...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question, I still havent received my statements and monday will be 40 days i believe...what is my next step if i dont receive them in time?

Thanks

Sparkler

Hi all...

Need some help please, I sent off the letter to peter townsend requesting statements on the 21st June, and i received a letter back from mr T saying they would be on their way...but i still haven;t had any statements?...what should i now do?, shall i wait till they arrive or send out my next letter?

I dont want to call them as i don't want to get into a discussion about it on the phone, any advise would be great thanks very much

Yeah, I had a similar problem, have a look at the last post in the barclays bank thread in my signature, I need to think of a reply to that letter

Cpt Black

Any advice given is purely my opinion and not based on any legal fact unless referenced with a case. Follow my advice at your own risk. Although the fact may be correct, my interpretation and therefore findings may not

Barclays - £391 Just getting started

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/144290-chris-barclays-take-2-a.html

Barclays - £760 Settled in full

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/17995-chris-barclays-bank.html

Barclaycard - £100 settled in full

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/17996-chris-barclaycard.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I received my statements at the weekend and have gone through them with a nice pink highlighter. It appears they have taken £1300 without interest. I am going home tonight to crack on with the spreadsheet but have a couple of questions. I am presuming that the letter i send to them to ask for the money is called 'Preliminary approach for repayment' from the templates am i right?. and i have to put a copy of the spreadsheet in with the letter?...Is there anything else i need to do or is that it?

Thanks loads for your help

all the best

Yes everything is correct so far.Yes prelim letter first giving them 14 days to respond,you will probably recieve a "sorry about your complaint blah,blah" letter ,after 14 days letter before action again with spreadsheet, you will recieve "goodwill gesture blah,blah",probably on the 14th day,then moneyclaim.

STICK TO YOUR TIMETABLE NOT THEIRS.

Hope that helps.

Hi Sparkler

Seems I'm up to the same stage as you (although I went through all mine with a nice yellow highlighter)

I am going to crack on with the spreadsheet today.

Which address are you sending your letter to?

Thanks

Lippy

Hi peeps,

wonder if you can help...I have my statements and am in the process of sending of the prelim approach letter, with my schedule of charges. But i'm becoming stuck at the spreadsheet. What is the difference between the 2?, simple and advanced?... Is one for Excel whizzkids the other is for...not so smart people like myself?. Also I'm confused about the interest. I know I can't claim the interest until later so presuming im gonna use the 'simple' spreadsheet do i just hide this column? and send the list of charges?...starting with the oldest date?

Is that right i dont wanna balls it up

Thanks for your help everyone

all the best

Jayne;)