• Tweets

• its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
    • Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SMOKING- Got a warning, is it fair?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6133 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think it will get better when the rules are more clear, the smoking ban has worked well in Scotland with few incidents.

We won't mention all the complaints from people who live close to pubs then.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with the point that people should not have breath second hand smoke at work (even though I smoke) and in my industry the smoking ban realistically came into effect about 15 years ago. All I was pointing out was that there are social consequences to the smoking ban which were never considered (even though they were pointed out beforehand).

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

They should still provide smokers with a room to smoke in, one for smokers and one for non smokers, it is our choice to smoke and we still have rights too, i dont agree with smoking in restaurants, pubs and clubs will need more policing as all the smokers are out on the streets.

I am also an ex-smoker , Ive smoked for 30 years and gave up in february. I feel sorry for the likes of pensioners who meet in working mens clubs for a drinkand a game of cards or dominoes - some of them its their only pleasure and yet they now cant smoke in clubs - there are many examples like that - yet in parliament they have allowed themselves a place to carry on smoking - how fair is that? in prisons they can still smoke - how fair is that? so murderers,rapists,paedophiles etc all have more rights than a model citizen - because he chooses to smoke? what about smokers human rights? - youre being told you cant smoke in your own home if you are expecting someone in authority calling , you cant smoke in a vehicle if it is used by other people or owned by a company - shortly we will see 'smoke police' - out in marked cars waiting to put the sirens on and chase cars where someone has dared to light up!. - where will it all end - soon we will see the adverts on the telly - "have you taken a lift from a smoker recently or in the past at any time? - well now you can claim compensation" - oh yes im just waiting to see that one appear on telly!! - the drink is next - theyre going to tell you how much you can drink in your own home - yes your OWN home ! - I saw something about that on telly the other week and of course how can we leave the fat people out? - yes soon we will see the FAT police - fining anyone who is overweight - its all gonna happen - watch this space........:-|

Guest Gertie100

At the end of the day anyone (person or company) can ban smoking on their own premises.

The government has seen fit to pass a law which states that smoking is banned in enclosed public places.

The issue here is whether or not there was a sign up to say that smoking is not allowed...if it is not obviously an enclosed space then a sign probably would have cleared things up...regardless of which "law" applies.

I almost got caught in a semi-enclosed part of my local shopping area (I won't say centre because you can be walking through the middle of it, and still get wet if its raining due to the fact there's great big bloody holes in the roof!) and didn't even think about it - in fact a woman from one of the shops came out and reminded me nicely!

However what does make me laugh is the new areas which a lot of pubs are opening up - one of them close to my works, has a specific area which is through a door, has a roof, walls and even some windows! You would definitely not get wet if it rained!

Just doesn't make sense.....

Guest weegirl
I didn't take your comments personally

Then why the personal attack!!!

I will point out again, the whole point of my initial post was a general comment about how authorities tend to abuse these laws, it was not aimed at your response but you're obviously too full of yourself to distinguish that, and thought that your original post was so important that I had to be responding to yours and only yours, not the rest of the posts that were on.

Get over yourself.

Getting a bit "Heated" here. Anyway back to the point, and we all have views, i quit about 7 weeks ago, aroudn about a month before the ban, blimey it was hard! Took about 6 weeks before i lost the need for a ciggy, only used patches for 2 weeks.

I actually believe the new rule is good for all, going outside is not a problem, the problem is when people want it banned outside as well! Ive heard that a lot and got to laugh at that. I was at a bar a few days ago and on the forth floor, they had built a lovely balcony with roof for smokers, it was great! Although i was not smoking.

The minute people arent allowed to smoke in their own cars is the moment i believe the police will not be able to deal with, stupid idea that is seeing as its "Your Car" people in it "Know you smoke"

Guest weegirl

Precicely my point Champnos, as I originally asked, where will this end? As with all new laws of this nature they are abused and the boundries are pushed to the extreme by certain fractions.

Looks like drinking will be next. The Government are talking now about putting up the price of booze in pubs to cut down on binge drinking!! Not just an excuse to rip people off then.

Heh, drinking will be next but again they wont try too hard

1.5 billion spent on NHS because of smoker (Oh no you think)

9.5 billion made in taxes from smokers (I think you will now get the point)

Alcohol is similar in which the government add many taxes on to our Alcohol, in fact when a shipment hits the shores it doesbles in costs because of the government

Guest weegirl

Yep, whilst our MP's have the privilege of the 19 bars in the House of Commons (funded by us) that charge 70's prices. Get angry!!

Why do some people seem to take another persons opinnion as a personal attack, rather than enter into an informed debate?

I think there's pros and cons for every situation, and the smoking ban is no exception. There is no right answer.

Then why the personal attack!!!

I will point out again, the whole point of my initial post was a general comment about how authorities tend to abuse these laws, it was not aimed at your response but you're obviously too full of yourself to distinguish that, and thought that your original post was so important that I had to be responding to yours and only yours, not the rest of the posts that were on.

Get over yourself.

What personal attack??? No, really, where?

Did I use words like "ridiculous and cantankerous", "'I've got the moral highground' attitude", "grasping to enforce your arguement", "awkard and picking a fight"? No, I believe that was you. And still, I ignored your inflammatory remarks.

Did I tell you to "get over yourself"? No, I believe that was still you. And still, I ignored your inflammatory remark.

You asked what the problem was. I gave you an answer. All you have done since is jump at my throat. If you didn't want an answer, why were you asking? :rolleyes:

You may have a difference of opinion, but I would appreciate it if you could keep your responses courteous. If you have an argument that supports smoking, apart from "it is our right", then by all means post it.

I will however ask you to do so in terms which are polite and non aggressive to other users, and in turn, will ensure that the same courtesy is extended to you.

Thank you. :)

I am a heavy smoker and actually fully agree with this law .

Why should people who don't smoke have to sit in rooms full of smoke .damaging their health .It is my right to smoke if I want to but not at the cost of other peoples health .Actually I think smoking should be banned full stop then people will have no choice but to stop what is nothing more then a disgusting bad habit that they probably started when they knew no better.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Hmm you have kind of contradicted yourself about ten times. You smoke heavily yet say it should be banned, its unfair on others yet i guess you must smoke near people. Why not quit if its such a disgusting habit?

The long term effects of smoking may be bad but lets be honest in the short term not very bad at all. Yes ban it from places where people dont have a choice, like bars and clubs. But a countrywide ban would send this country down the pan

Hmm you have kind of contradicted yourself about ten times. You smoke heavily yet say it should be banned, its unfair on others yet i guess you must smoke near people. Why not quit if its such a disgusting habit?

The long term effects of smoking may be bad but lets be honest in the short term not very bad at all. Yes ban it from places where people dont have a choice, like bars and clubs. But a countrywide ban would send this country down the pan

No I haven't contradicted myself :confused:

I smoke near other smokers yes

yes it should be banned completly , but they will never do it as they get to much tax from the smokers and then have the cheek to refuse them some hospital procedures

I wish I could quit , personal reasons why this is not possible

Short term is bad too . ask anyone who doesn't smoke , esp ex smokers , just how bad a smoker smells .. even after a bath :p

A countrywide ban is the most sensible thing we could do for future generations but that will never happen.

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

A countrywide ban is the most sensible thing we could do for future generations but that will never happen.

What a frighteningly authoritarian regime that would be.

Should we ban anything else that might be harmful to our health.

It wouldn't work anyway. Did Prohibition actually stamp out alcohol consumption in the US when it was tried? No. it made the health effects worse as more uncontrolled, bootleg booze was drunk.

I dont think people have yet quite grasped the laws on using their mobiles whilst driving - and the police cant get that under control - so how they gonna manage stopping people smoking? - They need to get a grip of the 'mobile' situation first - which also is supposed to be against the law - but some people think it just applies to others and not them - you give them a disapproving look and youusually get the one finger sign - imagine giving a disapproving look at a group of drunks smoking where they shouldnt be - it wouldnt just be a one finger sign you got I bet.... I dont think the policing of this law has been thought through properly at all, same as the mobiles law. I hear now that the schools are thinking of writing to parents telling them their children are fat aswell - what next?

I dont think people have yet quite grasped the laws on using their mobiles whilst driving - and the police cant get that under control - so how they gonna manage stopping people smoking?

The policing of this draconian piece of legislation isn't to be entrusted to the Police. It is to be enforced by the zealots of the local authority - who will see it purely as an income stream.

Guest weegirl
What personal attack??? No, really, where?

I refer you to your response to my original posting.

I really cannot believe that you are a moderator. Very unprofessional.

I really cannot believe that you are a moderator. Very unprofessional.

A moderator is also a user and has the right to join in any discussion and air their personal views .We are not paid or professionals but volunteers and put in unbelievable hours to help keep this site running for all users to continue recieving free advice .

Common curtesy should be used in all posts towards other users .

When talking in text sometimes things can be misread ( thats a general observation not about any particular post in this thread)

Can this thread now keep on topic .. any personal attacks against any user will be removed as per forum rules

doubts.

Hi all,

Unfortunately im a smoker, I smoke 30 a day and dont smoke in my house or car, I fully understand smoking being banned in public places, nothing worse than someone elses smoke in your face, especially when eating and there is no getting away from the fact that it does stink and is a filthy habit but I cannot understand the problem with smoking outside. Just my opinion!

[COLOR=red][/COLOR]

hi,

take a look at Nosmokinglaw.co.uk - Smoking Ban & Law Resource Centre for No Smoking Legislation & Signs

this gives you 99% of all the info you need.

yes, it is a bad habit, and yes it was right to stop it near food etc, but we are ALL entitled to our opinions and civil rights. and before anyone asks no i dont smoke, i stopped approx 16 years ago, but my missus does, and so do some of her family, so i get to see this law from both sides.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Hi all,

Unfortunately im a smoker, I smoke 30 a day and dont smoke in my house or car, I fully understand smoking being banned in public places, nothing worse than someone elses smoke in your face, especially when eating and there is no getting away from the fact that it does stink and is a filthy habit but I cannot understand the problem with smoking outside. Just my opinion!

If you dont smoke in your house or car - where do you smoke 30 a day? :o :)

The smoke police will be notified ......................