Any way to trace calls?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Friends,

Last few weeks I have been recieving voice messages (as my phone was switched off) from couple of numbers saying nothing but "hello".

I have tried to trace the number and it looks like they all are from one organisation/company/agency and the location seems to be somewhere in liverpool.

Can any one tell me how to find which company or organisation is trying to reach me? the number is: 01514710111

Would anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Have you ttried blocking your number and ringing it to ask?

:confused:

2007 Issues ALL RESOLVED

2008 Issues ALL RESOLVED

£4,200 in charges claimed back succesfully from a total of 5 Creditors

2009 Issues ALL RESOLVED

NEXT Directory - No Agreement, No Further Action **WON**

2010 Issues

Court Claim from Black Horse - AOS 22.11.10, CPR 23.11.10

Assisting Daughter with Employment Tribunal for Wrongful Dismissal/Discrimination

:) My Head is officially out of the Sand :)

192.com used to provide this service but BT were trying to shut it down - I think that they may have succeeded.

0151 is in Liverpool and originally all numbers starting 0151 471 were issued to Cable and Wireless.

This map shows the geographical area for the 0151 4 range of numbers

Did anyone you know/are related to die recently, and once lived/did live in Liverpool? :eek: Sorry, but a load of messages from an unrecognised number just saying 'hello' would have me reaching for the rock salt... ;)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

I believe that you can apply to have calls traced by making a complaint to police of harrasment (for example), or continued nuisane calls. You need to log the time and date of each call, and the police can request logs from the provider of the telecommunications service (if the complaint you make usggests that an offence has been comitted). Obviously, this is usually reserved for numerous calls being made. If it's the odd one or two, just ignore them.

Incidentally, if they tell you that you have been awarded "vouchers" by them for cots towards insulation (or some other green energy saving course) then avoid like the plague. Got one of these calls last week. Just say "no thanks" and put the phone down.

P.S. Have found that answer hone message that simply say "hello" are usually by people:

1. Who are too thick to realise that they have got through to an answering service

2. Think that you may use call screening, and hope that you can hear them and pick up the phone.

I am a scouser myself btw, but there are many businesses in Liverpool (and other areas full of empty warehouses and business premesis) that are not entirely legit (anyone remember "Business Grants Advisory Group"?).

I've just rang it from work as we show up as private number so knew no-one could find out where I was ringing from and a recorded message playing saying 'the other person has cleared'.

August 06- S.A.R. handed into a Halifax Branch

Sept 06 statements received and first letter sent requesting repayment of charges totalling £3,90

beginning Oct 06 received phone call offering £1,397, said would accept as interim payment andLBA letter sent same day

mid Oct 06 MCOL submitted online

end Oct 06 paid in full including interest and court fee - £4,980!

Hello there , thought this site might be of use to you, SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers there are forums that deal with any telephone number not just 0845 and 0870 guys and girls on the forums can locate the company and names within minutes or you might want to consider a number search in Google. Good luck in tracking down this caller, i too hate peeps whom ring and don't leave contact details, i normally don't bother trying to ring back, if its important there will try again. :)

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

• 2 weeks later...

You put 141 in front of the number you are dialling - I think it works on most (all) networks

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

You put 141 in front of the number you are dialling - I think it works on most (all) networks

Steven

If this post is helpful, please click the scales

Thanks for your response Steven. However, what I meant was - is there a way we can block other numbers, like the nuisance 0151 numbers, from calling our mobile number? Can we block them from calling us? Cheers

If I receive an unkown number, I first dial 1471 to find out if the number has not been witheld. I then call the numberfrom a mobile phone, making sure that my own number is not sent out.

If it is a 0900 or o8xx number I cut off as soon as possible after hearing th name of the company.

I then use Google to check the STD code, and some websites will also give a geographical location of the exchange.

I have found that many of these calls are from call centers who have had your number passed to them or who have bought the information from companies that you have dealt with legitimately.

The worst offenders are television programs that ask you to call or text to win a prize or to vote.

See my thread athttp://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/95048-disturbing-information.html

This is worrying!

Rhino

Thanks for your response Steven. However, what I meant was - is there a way we can block other numbers, like the nuisance 0151 numbers, from calling our mobile number? Can we block them from calling us? Cheers

hi,

there is a way you can block these calls coming to your mobile. its different on different phones but on mine you can set it so that only numbers on your phonebook are allowed through to you, any withheld numbers etc get the dead tone

• 2 weeks later...

This may help (telephone preference service, works for landline, fax, mobile)

Also you can call BT Nuisance line (0800 661 441) and they will trace the calls.

If your not with BT, you need to check your service's customer service as they probably will have some sort of similar service.

Incidentally, it is a good idea to keep a log of calls, as you may find yourself in a case against someone for nuisance calls and the log is good evidence.

This may help (telephone preference service, works for landline, fax, mobile)

Also you can call BT Nuisance line (0800 661 441) and they will trace the calls.

If your not with BT, you need to check your service's customer service as they probably will have some sort of similar service.

Incidentally, it is a good idea to keep a log of calls, as you may find yourself in a case against someone for nuisance calls and the log is good evidence.

Thanks a lot...have just registered my number on that link you provided. Cheers

• 1 month later...

companies use a computer to dial hundreds maybe thousands of people at once. the operator gets connected to the 1st person to answer thats why they say hello because they themselves dont acctually phone you so they dont know who they are speaking to untill the calls connected.

hope this helps.

Lloyds TSB £816.67 ***WON***

:D

Abbey Bank £705.00 ***WON***

Mbna Europe £365.00 ***WON***

Halifax a/c 1 £335... ***WON***

EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE, YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO DO IT!!!

companies use a computer to dial hundreds maybe thousands of people at once. the operator gets connected to the 1st person to answer thats why they say hello because they themselves dont acctually phone you so they dont know who they are speaking to untill the calls connected.

hope this helps.

To call thousands at once would require a call centre with thousands of trunks and a very large (approaching 800) call agents - just not economically viable.

The agent does know the identity of the person called by the system, because there is a 'screen pop' onto the agents PC giving those details and the call script...

The reason for the 'Hello' is because the system cannot easily identify between live person and voicemail. As soon as you speak, they are aware of a real person and wil address/ask for you by name.

I used to get loads of rubbish calls on my mobile people calling and hanging up, people asking for personal details, they used to call all through the night, in the end i contacted my mobile phone provider and made them aware i was getting all these calls and they changed my number for free i am no carefull who i give my number out to but your mobil provider can definately change your number.

Nationwide Won - £2000 :D

Barclay Card - Hearing Date 14/08/07 :???:

Capital One - N1 Filed ;)

• 3 months later...

That number belongs to Mercers Debt Collection owned by Barclaycard, they've been harrassing me via phone for about 4 months now...trying various numbers..they called on that one today and my Husband answered asked who it was and hey presto it's the scumbags again. Don't answer anything from them..simple they don't care about the individual all they want is more money from you ..knowing you can't afford it.

:mad: anyway she hung up because they don't like people who stick to their guns.. don't give in keep fighting...they agreed to my payment plan then they changed my Monument card to a new Barclaycard with a new card number without telling me ...sent me a letter with the new number on ..so I called saying I don't have a Barclaycard with that number..then they started whacking on £50 a month charges and refusing to accept my original agreed payment amount! :evil: ..they call me between 5-10 times a day... I don't answer my phone any more ...relatives have to leave me answering machine messages so I can call them back...it's disgusting bully behaviour on Barclayscums behalf.