• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen.   DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free. 
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bryan Carter- Ceased as a Company???!!! *Took a while but WON in the end

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi thanks for that I have just finished reading them all PHEW!!

I am going to send the CCA letter and £1 to Mr Carter and a copy of his letter to SRA and also an SAR to Carphonewarehouse as the original debt was about £100 and at one time it went up to £900 due to charges which I believe had been put on by Fredricksons and my son brought this down to £550 and NOW Bryan Carter says it is £658.16 again. What is going on. Wish me luck

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Tanglewood you state carter threatened court action via fredricksons, did he previously inform you that fredricksons have now got the debt,if not look at the oft guidelines and throw that at the piece of C_ _P:D

Yes unfortunately my son WAS paying through Fredricksons but defaulted then he was phoned by Bryan Carter and we told him that my son was in Spain. He said he would hand the debt back to carphonewarehouse and this letter is the first we have heard from him since then. I have checked with my son and the debt should be about £550 but another £100 has gone on it since when and by whom??? I think I shall send an SAR to Carphonewarehouse but it is my belief and my son's that the extra charges have been put on by Fredricksons.

Should they issue proceedings you could write to the court on your son's behalf pointing out he's presently abroad knows nothing about this & won't return until whenever. However even if it goes ahead don't worry as its undefended (don't respond to any summons at all!) it's very easy to have the CCJ set aside. Also when or if you do defend the the courts won't be too happy that the claimant still went ahead knowing the defendant was abroad & unable to respond to the summons (I feel a wasted costs order coming on)

& finally if they fail to comply with your CCA or SAR & are unable to produce a properly executed agreement then you (or rather your son) can tell them to get stuffed No lawful agreement = no payment

Yes it seems that the legal bodies who originally gave the information out in the first place are now backtracking, obviously another case of hand in glove.

but i'm sure this has learned Bryan Carter & Co a lesson that he won't forget..

has anyone else had their case dropped from him.

I have jsut received a letter from the SOS. Pretty much a standard letter saying they are looking into it and will assign me a caseworker (!)

In the end the CCA didn't get sent off as my husband forgot !!

So basically I wrote to Bryan Carter and told them that my son does not live here any more as he is in Spain and told them that any further letters would be returned. They can even check the voters list as he is not on there at my address!! Lets wait and see what they do next.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes! Anyone know where I stand in all of this? They bullied me into paying back a credit card i had with MBNA. The credit limit was 400 but with charges over the past year, they wanted 895 from me, paid two installments, 200 at the end of jan, 20 at the end of feb (after they ceased??) but then got wise and started reading these sites!! requested my cca, they eventually sent me a cca for a completely different credit card so i wrote back to them only a few days ago requesting the correct one> Hmmm, it all seems a bit fishy!!! is there any way i can get that 400 back do you think? any template suggestions as i'm still a newbie!!!!!:confused:

Hi i would send an S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to the original credit card vendor, this costs £10 there are templates on this site to use, the OFT capped credit card companies to a charge of i believe £12, so anything over that can be claimed back ,and they have been known to pay all charges back.

As for Bryan Carter he is now Crellins Carter, but uses Bryan Carter & Co as a trading name.if as you say he send you a CCA which has nothing to do you with may i suggest reporting him to the OFT and Trading Standards, i'm sure they would be very interested in this fact.

With regards to your original CCA request from him, if he does not send you a copy of the original agreement,and 30 days lapses this then becomes a criminal offence which he will be aware of.

make sure you send everything by recorded or special delivery.

if 30 days has expired already also inform the OFT of this fact.

I hope this helps you.

setmefree:)

Yikes! Anyone know where I stand in all of this? They bullied me into paying back a credit card i had with MBNA. The credit limit was 400 but with charges over the past year, they wanted 895 from me, paid two installments, 200 at the end of jan, 20 at the end of feb (after they ceased??) but then got wise and started reading these sites!! requested my cca, they eventually sent me a cca for a completely different credit card so i wrote back to them only a few days ago requesting the correct one> Hmmm, it all seems a bit fishy!!! is there any way i can get that 400 back do you think? any template suggestions as i'm still a newbie!!!!!:confused:

I wouldnt have written and told them. You made a legal request which they failed to comply with. After the 12+2 days they would have been in default. That would have left them in an interesting position had they tried taking you to court. Your defence would have been that Crettins Carter failed to comply with your request for a CCA so therefore they hadnt proved the debt. Just my theory though.:)

I've had a couple of letters from Fredrickson international recently for a debt thats over 6 years and is statute barred which i have not responded to, on friday i received a letter from Bryan Carter & Co solicitors giving me 7 days to reply and respond if i dispute with proof.

I googled the post code RT13 0NT and it comes up as fredrickson International, would i be correct in not replying to that letter as i have read on here that he has ceased working for this company? Plz advise what i should do:confused:

If a lender allows time to pass without receiving any payment an action for recovery may become barred.

Under the Limitations Act 1980 the time limits are

• in simple contracts, 6 years
  • in contracts under seal, 12 years.

If the debtor acknowledges the debt in writing or makes a part payment within the original limitation period, then the time limits start to run again from the date of acknowledgement or the date of payment.

Also you could requested a CCA ,most templates will state i do not acknowledge the debt etc etc.

But if this is the first contact you have received in over six years,then the above would apply.:)

Most interesting setmefree. Which newspaper have you gone to? I would recommend Financial Mail (supplement to the "Mail on Sunday") as they seem keen on exposing dodgy solicitors. Believe me, any investigation by The Law Society (Office for the Supervision of Solicitors) puts a solicitor to enormous trouble (non fee earning hours!) and scares the daylights out of them. Vandermerwe.

Most interesting setmefree. Which newspaper have you gone to? I would recommend Financial Mail (supplement to the "Mail on Sunday") as they seem keen on exposing dodgy solicitors. Believe me, any investigation by The Law Society (Office for the Supervision of Solicitors) puts a solicitor to enormous trouble (non fee earning hours!) and scares the daylights out of them. Vandermerwe.

Bryan Carter & Co was reported a while ago and many people on this site put in complaints against him to the Law Society, He is now Crellins Carter but he uses the trading name of Bryan Carter & Co.

The main thing to do with Bryan Carter & Co when you receive a letter from them is to CCA them, that way you know where you really stand, no agreement no case.:)

CCA is is Consumer Credit Agreement, you would have signed one of this at the time you took out the credit, you can request a copy of the original at any time.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

look at letter (n) this explains what a request is, and it can also be used as a template.:)

Yes curlyben is right there are different templates on the site, and one does say the words what curlyben has written, also make sure you send it off recorded delivery.

legalyinsane i pm'd you with the person name on here who can give you better advice.