Software license

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Forgive my stupidity......

I have just purchased a new laptop which came with a Windows Vista disc, once I have installed it onto my Laptop can I then install it on my home PC.

I currently have Windows Works - which I hate with a vengence - so was hoping to save all my work and wipe my PC and reinstall Windows Vista.

Is this a breach of any software license?

Im not sure how these things work!

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

As far as I know, you own the software through purchasing your laptop.

Obviously you are obliged under copyeight laws not to reproduce it, but for your own use your OK.

How are you getting on with Vista? One big headache for me. Which ISP are you with?

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

It only came today so not even charged up laptop to do set up yet!!!!!

It cant be any worse than damn works I tell you.

Im with orange why?

Allyxia

KEEP FIGHTING FOR YOUR MONEY - EVEN WHEN IT GETS TOUGH

The Banks are somewhere which lends you an umberella when it is sunny, and takes it away when it rains

HSBC £1200 - Settled in Full

Cap 1 2 X £100 - Settled in Full

Nationwide £1641 - Settled in Full inc Default and CCJ Removed by Court Order

NatWest £2215.60- Settled in Full and Removed Default Natice

Woolwich £3690 - Settled in Full

No - you can only run the OS on a single machine - the Windows EULA is VERY strict about this.

My personal favourite is Win98, and with this you can make copies for many machines and Microsoft would probably be none the wiser.

With XP onwards you will find that the whole machine is integrated into the Mircrosoft network - install the same disc on two machines and you can guarantee that Microsoft will chase you for a) breach of license or b) piracy...

Sorry about that.

You could save all your work to another format, say Open Office, and then put Linux on your desktop PC...it's very good...;)

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Whoops, I stand corrected.

I'm with AOL and need a new modem and software as Vista doesn't support it.

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

here

here

here

here

Vista needs to be activated - so any code you have will only work on 1 machine, so whichever you register first will stop the second macihne using the same code. Also you seem to be confusing an OS (Operating System) with an Application (Works) they don't do the same job - Vista makes the laptop work, but once installed you'll still need some sort of Word Processor or whatever, so you can then choose which to purchase.

My personal favourite is Win98, and with this you can make copies for many machines and Microsoft would probably be none the wiser.
What you suggest here is illegal and this site will dissociate itself from any such suggestion.

Microsoft Works is as the OP suggests a cut-down version of Office and is rubbish - I would advise you to buy Office.

As for installing Vista on your Home machine, it's possible that you have bought an "Exclusive" license which is as Buzby says; it will only activate on one machine. However, if you are lucky enough to have purchased a "Non-Exclusive" license, you will be able to use Vista on many machines (the number may be specified in the license) so long as NO TWO MACHINES are switched on simultaneously. Check with your vendor which you have - unfortunately an OEM license purchased with a laptop is probably going to be Exclusive.

• Haha 1

When you buy a copy of windows (or get it) with a piece of hardware, no tonly can you not use it on another piece of hardware at the same time, but say for instance you laptop broke you could not use that copy of windows on a new laptop.

That depends once again entirely on the licence agreement that came with it. There are many different kinds and you have to read it to understand which yours is. Better yet, have a Lawyer read it for you.

I have Microsoft Office which came with my computer. I paid extra for it and installed it on my computer.

I am OK to install office on my laptop right? I think I am, just weanna check.

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

here

here

here

here

Office is like Windows (any flavour) - the EULA will let you know whether you can install it on more than one machine (unlikely) - although I do believe that the "student" version allows for an install on up to four machines (someone will correct me if this is wrong)

Once again - Open Office is completely free, it can be installed on as many machines as you want, is fully compatible with Microsoft office and is available, FREE, from here...

Tom - point taken about "illegal" activity - I know what you are saying, and you are right...my point is that MS are keen to avoid this sort of reprobate behaviour (I am a reprobate) and that is why XP and Vista are so integrated with their user DB that you couldn't get away with it if you tried...:o

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I have Microsoft Office which came with my computer. I paid extra for it and installed it on my computer.

Again you will have to check your EULA. Look for the words "non-Exclusive" in there; if it is a "non-Exclusive" licence, you are permitted to install on two machines as long as they will NEVER be used simultaneously.

Typical Microsoft facism. One should be entitled to install on as many machines in your house as you like. I havent been near Vista, and frankly dont want to, but I suspect you would only have problems were you to use your PC AND laptop online at the same time. Microsoft have been shouting about how easy it is to create home networks etc from XP onwards, so its sheer stupidity if they can actually physically stop you installing onto 2 machines.

Without knowing whether it applies to Vista, but I suspect so, I do believe that were one to aquire a licence key from a friendly tech who works at a university or school or college, or large company.. well the little birds suggest that such a thing would activate with no problem and appear to be legit to Microsoft, since these organisations buy licences that allow the installation onto hundreds/thousands machines, and expect constant reinstalls.

Not that an outstanding gentleman like myself would consider or condone committing any actions that could put the Fasci I mean Bill Gates onto the breadline..

;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Vista CD will more than likely be an OEM version that is tied into the system BIOS anyway...so you would not be able to install it anywhere else :)

Claims:

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.1) - Claim Issued 16/3/07 Await Defence to be Entered - Data Protection Act Non-Compliance - *WON

bgqs v Barclays (Claim No.2) - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges + s.68 Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

bgqs v Halifax - Prelim Letter Sent (Charges +C.I Interest) - 16/3/07 - *WON

*Paid Deposit on New House with my Winnings !

I suggest that we are talking at cross purposes here.

MS Vista is an operating system - it is right that this should be a single install only. If you have further computers, then you need separate licences for them.

MS works is an application (a cut down version of Office).

There is no point in installing Vista in order to change Works.

It used to be for Office that you were allowed to install an additional copy for home/office/laptop providing that only one was in use at a time - I don't know if this has changed.

That depends once again entirely on the licence agreement that came with it. There are many different kinds and you have to read it to understand which yours is. Better yet, have a Lawyer read it for you.

Ok maybe - but 99.9999% of the time you get an oem copy as its far cheaper for the hardware manufacturer to supply you with that than a full retail copy.

Nope, same as the os - one copy one machine.

[Nope, same as the os - one copy one machine.]

Not on my copies of Office 2003 - The Student/Teacher version is licenced for up to 3 PC's, the Standard Office Professional 2003 is licenced for 2 (desktop and laptop) but both cannot be used concurrently unless by the original user.

[Nope, same as the OS - one copy one machine.]

Not on my copies of Office 2003 - The Student/Teacher version is licenced for up to 3 PC's, the Standard Office Professional 2003 is licenced for 2 (desktop and laptop) but both cannot be used concurrently unless by the original user.

Thats very interesting, i have office 2003 on the home PC and office 2000 on the laptop which i now hate with a vengeance, ill see what my licence says.

Re the OP question vista wont help with the office application.

I know that OEM licences are machine specific (in theory at least)

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Right MS licences confuse the hell out of people.

OEM - Typically comes with no box and just a CD/DVD with a small leaflet and a disc

OEM copies are supplied with all new machines bought as this is far far cheaper for the companies that assemble them to provide - I have never come across a manufacturer that gives you a retail copy.

OEM copies cannot be transferred to a new machine so if you old XP machine gets pensioned off and you buy a new one without a licence or build one then you need to pay for a new licence.

Retail - Typically comes in a nice shiny box and costs a small fortune, goes onto any machine you want it on (one at any given time).

Windows generates a key based on your current hardware if you change enough hardware it will reset the key and you will have to reactivate Windows at this point MS could technically say no and you're stuck with having to buy another licence. It is the same with Vista except there are more versions to choose from.

The rules with Office always used to be you could (for example) install Office at work and another copy at home under the same licence as you would not be using both machines at the same time, as has been mentioned the Acedemic versions are more flexible - Dont forget that anyone who has someone in the household in education is entitled to buy Academic versions so if you have a child aged 5-18 then you are perfectly within your rights to buy the educational versions of MS software, this is different for other manufacturers obviously.

Going back to Windows 99% of the time if you change hardware and have to reactivate they will generally let you get away with it once or twice after that you will be forced to pay up although they have been known to say no after just a motherboard swap out.

Remember that anyone can buy a copy of OEM software as long as you buy another piece of hardware with it although many places dont enforce this either and if they do will allow you to buy it if you purchase for example a £2 mouse or keyboard.

Ok maybe - but 99.9999% of the time you get an oem copy as its far cheaper for the hardware manufacturer to supply you with that than a full retail copy.

[

There are at least two different OEM versions. Microsoft say that one OEM version is licensed only for the machine it was sold with; and another OEM version has a transferable licence.

Tim

Yup I agree an excellent piece of software

OpenOffice.org: Home

Ability Office is also quite good but you have to pay for it but much cheaper than MS Office

Ability Plus Software - Home Page

There is of course also Tesco Office which is based on Ability but cheaper £19.97 should be available in store and has had some quite good reviews just depends on whether you want to line Tescos pockets

Complete Office - Product Overview - Tesco Software

There are at least two different OEM versions. Microsoft say that one OEM version is licensed only for the machine it was sold with; and another OEM version has a transferable licence.

Tim

Not according to MS website and not according to our MS rep either of course if you have a direct quote to back that up I will be more than happy to go speak to our volume licencing MS rep and ask about it to get the definative answer of course

OEM Licensing

Q.Can I transfer my OEM Windows XP software to my new PC?A.No, OEM software is tied to the PC that is installed on. Transfer can only take place if the PC is transferred as well.

Q.I have purchased a PC with OEM Office 2003 installed can I downgrade this to Office XP?A.No, OEM Office does not have downgrade rights.

Q.I have purchased OEM Office 2003 and can I can install a second copy on my laptop PC?A.No, OEM Office is tied to the original PC and does not have portable use rights. These are only available in Full Packaged Product or Volume licensing.

Q.Can I install my OEM Windows XP on more than 1 PC?A.No, Windows XP is licensed per device - this means one licence is required for each device that it is installed on and must be purchased pre-installed on a fully assembled PC.

Q.Can I buy OEM Windows XP software with a mouse?A.No, OEM desktop software must be pre-installed on a fully assembled PC.

If you look at how the disc tells whether it is OEM, Retail, Corp etc you can have a look at all the Pid's and see the combinations although there are specific combinations for companies like Dell etc I have yet to come across an OEM copy that was transferable and with all the dealings with MS I have never come across it before either (we licence about 50-200 machines per site with over 450 sites so quite a few) and speak to MS regularly. That was originally the whole point with OEM in that Dell et al can supply Windows on the cheap but MS know that if you upgrade you need to buy a new copy.

Not to mention with some software being BIOS locked now its only a matter of time esp with secure computing coming along soon that OEM will be enforced even more vigourously than it has been in the past

as has been mentioned the Acedemic versions are more flexible - Dont forget that anyone who has someone in the household in education is entitled to buy Academic versions so if you have a child aged 5-18 then you are perfectly within your rights to buy the educational versions of MS software, this is different for other manufacturers obviously.

I just checked this out. It's hard to be sure of being correct, but:

It used to be that Office cost about £300, Office Professional about £500, version upgrades were available at lower prices, and Office Student/Educational (equivalent to Office Professional) about £120 (which I bought). The Student/Educational version licence stated it could be installed and used on three machines at once.

Now, Microsoft seem to have doen away with the Student/Educational version, together with the three-machine licence, but they have produced a "non-commercial" version at £100.

We have the educational version installed on my wife's machine - she needs compatibility with the version at the college where she works - but Open Office installed on my machine.

Open Office does the same job as far as my needs are concerned, but it is not completely identical.

Tim