Post office - Counterfeit Stamps

Not sure if this is in the right place, please move if not. 

Yesterday  I received a 'Sorry there's a fee to be paid card' put through the letter box.  I paid the fee of £5.00  online and received the item today. 

It was a Card from a friend.  It had been posted using a 2nd class stamp.  I was confused that it had attracted a not sufficient postage fee so without opening it I took it to my local post office had it weighed and put through the slot they use to test for thickness - clerk said that it should not have attracted the fee. 

Neither of us noticed at the time that the box ticked was for a 'Counterfeit' stamp.  

I googled how to tell a counterfeit and the stamp attached does not meet the criteria on the Royal Mail website.  My friend has said she purchased the book of stamps from her post office, so are they selling counterfeit stamps ?  How can I tell for sure as I object to paying £5.00 if this was the sorting office on a bad day or a PO money making exercise !

• Like 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

its probably not a fake however its an old book of stamps prior to the new barcoded ones and is probably out of  date. they mark them as fakes.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They're all barcoded now, I exchanged all my old unused stamps for the barcoded ones last year.

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Another possibility that I've read about on another site is that the stamp had been used before and, because it didn't have a franking mark on it, the sender had tried to reuse it. Before the barcodes came in that would have worked because if there were no franking marks on the stamp there was no way Royal Mail could tell it had already been used once. However, it seems that Royal Mail now track every stamp used through its barcode and can tell if it has already been used. The system then rejects it as "counterfeit".

HB, the changeover to barcoded stamps that made all the old ones 'expired' was a one-off event. Stamps don't generally have an expiry date.  Know where your old stamps are? | Royal Mail Group Ltd

• Thanks 1

It was one of the newer barcoded stamps.  I think your thoughts could be on the money, Ethel Street.  I am going to the Sorting Office tomorrow to see if they can provide further information. 

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You will be better going to the Mail Centre as they issue the surcharges rather than the local sorting office. They will also be able to tell you why the stamp is Counterfeit as the machines are there that would have rejected the letter.

2 hours ago, whitelist said:

You will be better going to the Mail Centre as they issue the surcharges rather than the local sorting office. They will also be able to tell you why the stamp is Counterfeit as the machines are there that would have rejected the letter.

Thank you 👍

BCOBS

I have further information regarding this stamp.  It was part of a 'sheet' of stamps provided by the Royal Mail as part of the swap system.  The old stamps for the new barcoded stamps.  So if they are counterfeit and not a faulty scanner, then the Royal Mail definitely supplied them !. 

Apparently out of the 25 stamps, 18 have been used and this was the 2nd stamp (posted on the same day) that has been rejected as being counterfeit. 

• Sad 1

BCOBS

• 1 month later...

Also here:-

UK.FINANCE.YAHOO.COM

Royal Mail is investigating problems with new barcoded stamps amid fears customers are wrongly being fined to receive letters, The Telegraph can...

• I agree 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

“This is why we insist that any customer who thinks they may have purchased a fake stamp from a Post Office must produce an itemised receipt so that this can be looked into further.”

So how do you prove that stamps are / were part of a swap sent directly from the Post office ? 

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens ... China may be producing the counterfeit stamps. Seems there's a lot of them about

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Minister says he will work with business to investigate, while China dismisses suggestion of state role as ‘absurd’

Although that wouldn't have explained what happened to citizenB's friend who apparently received the stamp from the Royal Mail. 

The fake stamps are (allegedly) only distributed through non-Post Office shops and the ones from the Post Office are legit and made under strict controls in the UK.

Post Offices aren't permitted to go out and buy their stamps from other sources. (For clarity it was Royal Mail who provided the stamps to citizenB's friend, not the Post Office, which is a separate company.

But I assume Royal Mail got its stamps for the 'swaps' from the legit UK manufacturer and didn't buy them on Amazon!).

Still, I will make sure I buy stamps from a Post Office in future, not from my corner shop.

Did you friend ever get anywhere with his complaints @citizenB ?

• Like 1