can i get arrested for giving false details to environmental officer? threw down butt end upon entering shop.

I'm not sure if picking up the litter makes a difference or not, Homer.

When I was looking at this yesterday I thought I read that the offence was the act of dropping the litter in the first place.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posted (edited)

I've done a bit of research into this as well, if you drop a fag butt and step on it these vultures are on you before you have a chance to pick it up.

If you pick up the litter, there is no litter, so I cannot see how they could issue a ticket on presumption you weren't going to pick it up anyway.

In any case the same applies, they are a private company employee and have no rights to detain you or demand your details so just walk away.

Youtube is full of examples of these Enforcement Agents and bear in mind the money they collect doesn't go to the Council, it goes to the private company, the only benefit the Council gets is less litter to collect. 

I hate littering and do not endorse it in any way but recently in my borough one of these agents aggressively bullied an elderly lady who had a tissue fall from her pocket when she pulled out her purse to pay for something, luckily it was videoed by another member of the public who stepped in and dealt with the Agent for her as he was being extremely aggressive and the lady was in tears.

I know if I'd been there he'd have got short shrift from me and sent on his bulling way.

Edited by Homer67
typo

Interesting, Homer.

This is what Newcastle council says.

If I pick up the litter after an officer has approached me, do I still receive a fixed penalty notice?

Littering relates to the dropping, throwing or depositing of litter and the leaving of it. Whether or not you later volunteer to pick up that litter, you have still committed an offence if you originally walked away.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

7 minutes ago, honeybee13 said:

you have still committed an offence if you originally walked away

I think this is the telling phrase HB.

I don't think simply dropping something is really evidence of intent to leave it there

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

It is a generalisation to say that the Enforcement Officers work for private companies.  Councils local to me employ the Enforcement Officers that deal with littering and parking.

The OP should pay the notice and if they have any issues regarding the issuing of the notice, they should complain to the Council. But I doubt the Council will entertain the complaint. 

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

it happened yesterday, and i dont normally just throw stuff on the floor or in the drain, ive got myself a pouch to put all my discarded cigs in, but next time,  should something similar happen i wont be saying anything.

Thanks again guys

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dx100uk said:

i will guess this littering FPN is now outside of 14 days since issue?

1 hour ago, khid said:

it happened yesterday

so within 14 days so its only £75 not £150.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you sure?

usually for FPN's if you pay within 14 days there is an automatic 50% discount 

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

so what happened?

and they