• Tweets

• Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
    • Only trying to help.  Ain't being nasty.  Some
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

F&Fsecured loan with Elderbridge - coerced debt and selling house

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 148 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, will try to get back on here later... one point to note is that you've left it too late to serve on the other side. It'll probably be a case of stuffing a copy in the ushers hand and asking for it to be slid under the DJ's nose before you go in.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know. have had the christmas from hell and just couldn't face it till the last few days, got a shock from eversheds with their bill of about 30K! and just panicked me. We will be there early tomorrow anyway and make sure she gets it before the hearing.

ooh, that's a hard question to answer simply. The contactual payments went up and up but I only paid reduced amounts from May 2011, 1 year at £600 and then 6 months at 210 and then £500 from then onwards to date.

I have had a word with my IFA and he has pointed out that they have not calculated correctly, they should have used the rate of 9.06% as stated on the loan agreement but they have used 9.4% which is the APR (apparentely this is incorrect.)

So I am going to state this and also state that they were 3 weeks late in providing a proper statment of account that was ordered by the judge. It makes no sense, they have given two different figures on the same witness statement and I have no idea which is correct, it is basically not in a format that is easily understood I don't think even the judge is going to understand it!!

I'm going to be cheeky and askfor the claim to be thrown out or failing that, ask that they remove all interest from the loan and deal with it on a capitol only basis (apparentely this has happened before with a different lender and case)

What do you think?

The arrears just don't seem correct, I noticed in an earlier post that you were paying £900.00 and more from very early on. An overpayment of say £60.00 per month for the first 60 months would reduce the running balance by circa 5k vs the term balance.

12 months at £600.00 would show a deficit of circa £3000.00

6 months at £210.00 would show a deficit of £3780.00

Without knowing how it controls the arrears (assume a separate pot encumbered with contractual interest?) a simple calculation appears to show that you did not come into arrears until at least Aug/Sept 2012 and possibly later depending on your earlier overpayments.

I think if you can convince the judge that on the face of it the calculations are inaccurate she may be persuaded to order the other side to sharpen its pencil and try again.

Not sure which case you refer to?

Hi Mike,

Yes, my highest payment went up to around £948!! so that's over £200 a month overpaid! No I don't think the arrears are right but they've not explained their figures at all, which is why I'm having a hard time working it out.

I am basically going to do what you say and try to convince the judge that what they have provided is crap! and they are basically taking the mick too! (obviously I will phrase this much more delicately!)

I just cannot work out where they have got any of the figures from, it makes no sense and I don't think it's fair that I should just have to take their word for it.

Don't you mean £100.00 overpayment? There's plenty of calculators on the web, MSE have a useful one... Google mortgage overpayment calculator, type in your details and print a copy off for the judge. Its not for her to get her calculator out so it would seem sensible to provide her with something tangible to focus her attention on.

£100.00 per month over 60 months would result in an 8k difference vs term

You've got all morning to put something cogent together then.

Have a look at the following link, may assist you with understanding why the other side should not be granted relief from sanction http://www.stonechambers.com/news-pages/04.11.13--article--relief-from-sanction-post-jackson---ravi-aswani.asp

Even though it's late in the day, I really think you should ask the other side to agree to an adjournment under CPR so you can verify the figures and check if the recalculations are correct.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you Mike, Will get to bed now and get up early and have a look at that in the morning - thank you for all your advise today :-)

Hi Slick, I'm sorry which part of CPR would I use, I'd better google that, (not legally minded!) :-) Thanks

CPR1.1 again mf http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part01

In effect you'd be asking the court to consider an adjournment without sanction (CPR3.9) as the claimants non compliance to the interim order has prejudiced your position and frustrated your attempts to verify its calculations.

The judge may get peed off even if the parties agree, and its still a very real possibility that she will dispose of the case tomorrow.

Yes, can you please let us know what hte outcome was ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It's bad :-(

They got a suspended possession order and I have to pay £903 per month (including the amount to clear the arrears) but the worst part is that they were awarded costs!.

I don't know what to do :-(

Hi MyFamily,

Sorry to hear the news but the Suspended Possession might not be too bad a situation as long as you can manage the payments of £903 per month. They are tied to the agreement too so can't start to apply pressure for more money.

What costs were awarded?

I would start a claim to recover the charges they have added to your account over the years. Once you add interest to it it will probably make a tasty sum. Or if you don't want to go through the court route, you can firstly complain through the FOS.

Cheers, BAE

Hi,

Thanks Blossom, I am not too bothered by the SPO but the costs, I am scared of now. will have to think about what to do.

Mike - to be honest I'm not sure, she seemed to just say that the costs we my responsibility, I supposed I will find out when I get the judgement in writing a few days from now.

To say I am absolutely gutted is an understatement!! the last letter I had fro Eversheds said the costs were estimated at £10k - £15k so how it got to £30k, I don't know.

Some have said to go bankrupt but I think I will lose my job if I do! :-( I have worked there nearly 20 years and don't know what else I would do!!