Can a garage charge a surcharge on broken parts removed from my own vehicle.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 536 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It has come to light that a batch of vans have faulty injectors, mine was made after the date they are recalling but the injectors have gone on my van too.

I have asked for the parts back as want to keep them in case they date range is expanded by 6-12 months and then includes mine, so I can show I have had it done and provide the part numbers. 

The garage are saying there may be a surcharge if I want them back? 

Is this legal? 

They are after all my parts from my van that I own

No it is not a recall as yet,

the recall is for some vans that were made prior to mine, but the injectors have now gone on my van too and I wanted them back in case they extended the date range of the recall which means I could then claim the cost back. 

The garage are saying they will add a surcharge if I want these back, but they are from my van?

urm.

never heard of a garage not wanting to throw them for free in the back of a van to save costs on disposal.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Depends if you asked the repairer to fit OEM parts or if you chose exchange items (refurbished) as a cheaper option. 

If the latter, then yes, as they will be charged by the refurbishing company as they will not have items to refurbish.

• Like 1

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Even if the parts aren't subject to recall there is still a possibility that the seller of the van would be liable if the defects could be ascertained.

If the garage who is proposing to withhold the parts is in fact the seller, it may be that they have been advised to try and hang onto the parts in order to withhold evidence from you.

What is the value of the work that has been required to address the problem?

And incidentally, the answer to your question as to whether they can levy a surcharge the parts is probably no. As long as there is nothing in any contract that suggests that your parts are being replaced on a part exchange basis or that once they are removed they become the property of the garage.

In the event that there is nothing contractual, then the parts are yours and they would be completely out of order to withhold them from you.

If you can answer the questions above then we can take this forward

Depends what you did or didn't tell/ instruct the garage to do, repair my car using new parts please or not allow them to repair it using recon parts, which will have an exchange contact with their provider.

Dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

When you visit a garage surely everyone expects new parts to be used and the garage should advise on price difference between the two if they have reconditioned parts to offer and ask the customer to decide,  not make the decision themselves.

I would doubt OEM parts as you stated in your 1st post means reconditioned anything....

Just they are not what typically would be the more expensive parts one would purchase using the cars makers recommend parts 

Dx

and they