• Tweets

• Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Lowell/Overdales Claimform - old Lloyds TSB loan facilitated by Loans Direct debt subject to existing 2009 CCJ ***Claim Discontinued***

j70han
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 381 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You keep saying you have paid against this loan with an existing ccj that you have no real proof of ,

you rang at that time and paid iqor and latterly wetcloths £15pcm then £30pcm till 2017.

but none of the payments show as the original balance has never decreased since the ccj time?

i think you are wrong somewhere on this again.

Just doesn't make sense

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I didn't ask anything I already know the breakdown of claim....The particulars are for my reference only when drafting the response you do not submit it with your defence.

I would be more interested on your thoughts on the amendments and additions I have made and the reasoning and that you are happy with the proposed defence?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andyorch, 

Thank you, Yes, it reads a lot better and I am happy with the amendments made. 

I will formally write it up and add the required declaration of it being a true and accurate account etc. 

If it's ok can I post it here for you to review before I formally submit it online?

Many thanks 

You shouldn't need to simply copy and paste the defence part into MCOL before 4.00pm...MCOL does not require a declaration (Statement of Truth) ...do it now.

• Thanks 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Dx,

Yes, I think I was confused at the beginning because, as it was Lowell who had taken the court action for the Lloyds Loan, i naturally just assumed the £15 per month I was paying back in 2017  to Lowell was for this loan.   

it wasn't until this week, when I found an old financial declaration I made  in 2011, that the £15 payments to Lowell were actually for a Capital one CC and in fact the £30 payments I was making to Westcott were in fact for the Lloyds loan.  This then made sense, because Lowell acquired the Lloyds Loan from Lloyds in June 2018. 

Overdales also confirmed to me yesterday that I had been making payments against the loan via Westcott. 

They also stated that the defaulted balance of the loan was around £9k, but got confused over the phone and i'm still awaiting this information in a formal response to my 31.14.   

it is possible the £30's have been credited which is why the balance is now around £8k, but they cannot formally confirm the actual defaulted balance, so until they do, I've got to assume that not all the £30 have been credited to the loan.   

To be honest, I really didn't understand the assignment of a loan and the other  legal requirements around consumer credit, until I received the CCJ claim form and asked for advice on this forum, which i've really appreciated .  

I realise I have been naïve and foolish in not keeping proper records and thinking that the debts were so old and, as I'd not heard about them in years, that they had just been written off.  But I am adamant that the Lloyds Loan was subject to a CCJ because it was the only one i've ever had and had an impact on me at the time. I also state that the Lloyds Loan was subject to a CCJ in my declaration dated 2011, which is when it would have still been on my credit file

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense. 

Andyorch and DX, 

Thank you both so much for your help with this, I'm so grateful, as I wouldn't have known where to start my defence or about CPR 31.14 etc.   I've submitted my defence and now await a response

I'll keep you updated with any further correspondence.

Many thanks 

part of the total owed/sum confusion is that overdales also said that the balance they quoted on their statement was the loan and OD balances combined. but have not inc the OD part in the claimform sum. 

but: 

On 02/03/2022 at 12:02, j70han said:

Yes, I declare I have a Lloyds loan of approx. £7,900 which I pay £30 per month for and it is subject to a CCJ. 

the lloyds loan was £7900 at the date of you above list, you paid After this date into2017, and guessed this to be approx £2k, so the balance, in terms of the claimform should be about £5k.

even if you add in the OD balance of £800 , it doesnt make £8154 on the claimform.....

you are missing these payments still, i wonder what info wetcloths or annikika or iqor have? cant hurt to ring them with their correct ref numbers surely..

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, that's a good point.  Especially as I now know the westcott payments were for the Lloyd's loan, so won't be awakening any old debt. 

I'm wondering if it would be worth sending a SAR, as it took lots of calls to Lloyd's and being passed about for days before I actually spoke to anyone, that could help.   Also, it may assist me cross matching it agaianst my scheduleof payments, if it'sever sent to me. 

and you've moved since these times?

and they

Yes, i moved June 2020. They also seem to have missed out part of my address at my old property, which is probably why I never received anything and assumed it'd been written off.  it wasn't until I moved they've started to write to me in the last 6 months.  

And of course you never updated any of your debt owners you had moved. Who knows what letters went there.

Dx

• I agree 1

and they

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd provide an update to this, but also ask for a bit more advice.  

I've had a few documents in response to my defence and 31.14 request sent in Feb 22.

However, Overdales have not fully replied to either. 

They have provided a copy of the credit agreement, which I've attached.

But not a copy of the default notice or full statement of payments showing how the balance due is calculated or owed. 

However, today I received a "Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claim Track"  which i've also attached, and am a little confused and concerned by.   

I was under the impression they couldn't proceed unless they'd fully replied to the 31.14 or my defence. 

I intend to reject this proposal, but am wondering where that leaves me with the court? Could I still get a CCJ despite this.?

Also, i've read lots on here about credit agreements etc. especially pre 2007, which mine is. 

I was wandering if anyone could provide some advice on the attached agreement?

It states at the top that it is a non cancellation letter loan agreement. 

My understanding was that there had to be a 14 day cooling off period.  Again, having read some posts and this being pre 2007, is this classed as acceptable? 

Any advice on this, as always, is greatly appreciated.   

New claim.pdf

Thanks 

$ PAGES AGREEMENT.pdf

I was under the impression they couldn't proceed unless they'd fully replied to the 31.14 or my defence.  I intend to reject this proposal, but am wondering where that leaves me with the court? 

Wherever did you get that assumption from ?  There is no requirement to respond to anything until the claim has been allocated to track which is the next step. If you do not complete and submit the N180 your defence will be struck out and a CCJ will be granted to the claimant.

It states at the top that it is a non-cancellable loan agreement.  My understanding was that there had to be a 14 day cooling off period.  Again, having read some posts and this being pre 2007, is this classed as acceptable? 

Only if it was an off premises application (Distance selling Regs).....if you signed in branch there is no cooling off period.

• Thanks 1

go check MCOL too

does the status say you have been sent an N180 too?

as that letter is simply the court informing you they have sent an N180 to the claimant and if they dont respond by 9th may the claim will die.

• Thanks 1

and they

if they dont respond by 9th may the claim will die.

Claim will be stayed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies.  Ok, I was confused and will read up on this a bit more and complete to online portal and continue to dispute the claim. 

Re the Credit Agreement, it wasn't signed in person, it was done through the postal system.  The bank signed it on 03/05/2005 and I signed it on 06/05/05. i believe the stamp on the top dated 07/05/05 is the date received through the post by Lloyds TSB. I'm just wondering if there is anything in the credit agreement which may assist me in my defence through the court?

I was also wondering, as this is a Lloyds TSB loan facilitated by Loans Direct, should I have received notification when Lloyds TSB split, which was in 2013 when my account had been in default for some years, and that it was now a Lloyds account? 

Complete, file and serve the N180 by the date stated and lets get to allocation...

• Thanks 1

I'm about to submit the N180 and just wanted to confirm I've read everything correctly.   

When completing the N180 I should tick that I agree that the small claims track is the appropriate track for this case.  I can then continue with my defence at the hearing? 

There is the option to have it referred to the small claims medium service, which I intend to tick no.  Or should I also tick yes to this?  

I  just want to make sure i'm filing this correctly. 

Thank for your help. 

3 copies

yes to mediation (unless you filed our Statute Barred Defence OR this is a claim for a Private Parking Ticket)

1 wit you

the rest is obv

1 to the court

1 to sols (omit phone/sig/email)

1 for your file

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

OK, N180 filed with court and Overdales.  Understanding the process a little better now, I don't think overdales have filed a N180 as yet and have until Monday. So will keep you updated. 

Many thanks for your help 

• 4 months later...

Hi, 

I just wanted to update this thread, as it is still ongoing and may assist others, as I received a lot of help here when I first got notified I was being taken to country court.  

I filed my DQ stating I was happy to go for mediation in May 22 and my case was transferred to my local court in July 22. 

I got notification from my local court in early September 22 that they had issued a "General Form of Judgment Order" to the claimants requesting they properly serve a particulars of claim to me by 4pm on  21/09/22. 

I did not receive these updated particulars of claim until 26/09/22 and they were dated 15/09/22.  However, I advised the court via email on 22/09/22 that I had not received these documents and when I spoke to the court on this same date, they had also not received any copies. 

The new particulars of claim do not really provide any updates, other than a copy of my signed loan agreement dated 2005, which include my monthly payments and direct debit mandate. 

There are still 3 years of missing payments.  I was initially not going to respond to these new particulars of claim, as they were not filed to me on time.

However, writing this update now, I'm thinking should I, and again challenge the missing payments, or just wait for mediation, when it happens?

I will keep this thread updated when things happen.

Thanks 

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to provide a final update to this (I hope) since my last post in September 22. 

I had not heard anything from the court since I got the notification from my local court in early September 22 regarding the "General Form of Judgment Order" to the claimants requesting they properly serve a particulars of claim to me by 4pm on 21/09/22. 

That was until 24/03/2023 when I received notification that my claim had been accepted onto the small claims track and a hearing had been scheduled for early June 23. on the same date I also received a copy of a further "General Form of Judgment Order” ordering the claimants to comply with Para 1 of the order dated 22/09/22. 

On 31/03/23 I then received another bundle form Overdales advising it was in response to the Orders from the court dated 22/09/22 and 24/03/23. From what I can tell, this bundle was the same as the previous bundle and included no further documentation relating to the loan.

Today I received notification from Overdales that their client “Lowell” had instructed them to discontinue with the claim and enclosed a copy of the “Notice of Discontinuance” sent to the court.   I’m assuming this was due to my local court issuing a "General Form of Judgment Order" which they were unable to comply with.  Either way, I’m hoping this is the end of this.

I just wanted to express a massive thank you for the help and assistance I received from this site over the last 14 months especially Andyorch and dx100uk.

I believe the  defence I submitted resulted in the Orders from the court and definitely contributed to the court asking the claimants for further details, which, by the looks of it, they were unable to comply with. 

I would not have been able to submit this defence without their assistance.   Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Well done topic title updated .

Andy