• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

SPML/LMC anyone claimed for mis selling and unfair charges?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please bear in mind with the above, it does have to be personalised to your specific circumstances, for example mortgage vs secured loan and regulated vs unregulated etc....

If your complaint is not upheld, ask the Adjudicator for his or her comments on this specific extract:

But the central question that will no doubt be raised increasingly with the Ombudsman is whether or not the charges levied are lawful. More generally, as my earlier brief example of the mortgage arrears fee shows, the application of extensive fees for customers already experiencing debt problems may not be fair treatment. Certainly it does not always sit well with the sympathetic and positive treatment of those in hardship.”[/i]

Source: speech by Tony Boorman, decisions director and principal ombudsman, at the CML's complaints-handling seminar –London, 12 March 2008.

You could email the Adjudicator something along the lines of (this is from an FOS complaint form, I have previously posted here and has been copied elsewhere):

My complaint is about the excessive and unfair fees and charges applied to my mortgage.

I consider the application of these charges and fees clearly demonstrate that my lender treatment of me has not been sympathetic or positive and incompatible with ‘Treating Customers Fairly’. I also consider that the application of these fees and charges is in clear breach of the requirement of MCOB.

To resolve my complaint, I require a full refund of all of the additional charges and fees, including but not limited to late payment charges, monthly administration fees and litigation fees that have been applied to my account.

In addition I require a payment equivalent to interest at 8% simple from the date each fee and charge was applied to my account until the date of refund.

Taking into consideration recent events with regard to the Financial Services Authority, GMAC and Kensington Mortgage, I also request an additional award in recognition the additional distress and inconvenience caused by my lenders breach of DISP 1.4.3. My lender should have reasonably have known that my complaint would be upheld by the Financial Ombudsman Service and therefore should have taken steps to resolve my complaint at an earlier opportunity.

I would like to take this opportunity to draw your attention to the enclosed ‘Final Notice’ issued by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) the regulator of the finance industry. My lender breached Principle 6 during the Relevant Period in that it failed to pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly.

They applied certain charges to my account that were unfair in that they did not accurately reflect the actual cost of administering an account in arrears. They had not arrived at a cost-based approach to the calculation of its arrears charges and therefore could not be sure that they were reasonable compared to the actual cost incurred. (if a FSA regulated agreement add) Therefore, my lender is in breach of MCOB 12.4.1R.

Lesley Titcomb, FSA Director responsible for the Mortgage Sector, also said

“As our data shows in these current market conditions more people are struggling to meet their mortgage payments and it is vital that firms treat them fairly. This means paying attention to their individual circumstances and not repossessing their homes when there may be an alternative solution. Repossession has to be the last resort. The FSA’s programme of actions to address the problem areas, includes a closer examination of charges, in particular the circumstances in which these are levied, and whether they are compatible with Treating Customers Fairly”

Source: FSA reiterates call for firms to treat customers fairly in current market conditions - FSA/PN/087/2008 - 5August 2008

I consider all of the additional charges and fees applied to my account to be unfair as per the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 because they did not accurately reflect the additional administration work to the mortgage account caused by the fact that I was in arrears. I also contend that by applying these charges and fees to my account my lender has also not met its treating customers fairly (TCF) obligations.

I would like to also take this opportunity to draw your attention to the following

“ Elsewhere, the present debates about bank charges and the previous action of the OFT on credit-card charges are also relevant. We have already seen some customers raise queries about the level of charges made by lenders when they are in debt. The Citizens Advice report suggests that some lenders’ debt-collection practices are distorted by including steps that involve the customer paying additional fees. The range, complexity and level of these charges may all be matters for consideration. But the central question that will no doubt be raised increasingly with the Ombudsman is whether or not the charges levied are lawful. More generally, as my earlier brief example of the mortgage arrears fee shows, the application of extensive fees for customers already experiencing debt problems may not be fair treatment. Certainly it does not always sit well with the sympathetic and positive treatment of those in hardship.”

Source: speech by Tony Boorman, decisions director and principal ombudsman, at the CML's complaints-handling seminar –London, 12 March 2008.

The FOS is getting more and more inundated with complaints. Before you go to it, it is important that you first complain directly to the Lender concerned.

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

The FOS is getting more and more inundated with complaints. Before you go to it, it is important that you first complain directly to the Lender concerned.

Hello BTM

I think the case is not only already with the FOS but has been allocated to an Adjudicator and the question is that it would appear that only one charge will be refunded...

My claim has at this point been passed to an adjudicator whomI have informed of all issues with the aforementioned ****! The adjudicator has today come back and advised me that due to them refunding this single charge, the whold case is going to be looked at again in the next few days in order for him to make his final deecision.

Should I be worried? The reason for the charges mainly stemmed from late payments as beore my court appearance they refused to change the date of payment. Yes they did refund one charge but I strongly believe they need to refund all the charges. Is this a lost cause, I am quite concerned now

Hence...

You could email the Adjudicator something along the lines of

Slgsue, it might be advisable to contact the adjudicator before any decision is made in relation to the outcome.. Make the adjudicator think about the issues, especially with regard to the comments made by the Decisions Director for the FOS. After all decisions are the outcomes of complaints...

One other thing, the Adjudicator can not make a final decision, only an Ombudsman has the power to do that....

Edited by Suetonius

Welcome to the forum anotherone. :0)

I can't understand why they are being like this to you with only 1 months arrears!! :@ they are a disgrace to society.

If you have a statement showing all the breakdown of charges they have added on,write a letter of complaint to ,also requesting they refund you the charges. If you don't receive a satisfactory outcome then you will then be able to take it either through the courts (which will be quicker) or to the FOS

If you go down the FOS route but that could take you 18 months before your case is looked at.

Are you able to pay your payment & a bit extra towards the 1 month arrears?

What threatening comments are you getting?

pm? not allowed to put my email on here cos im new but you can find me at pyramid sports prestwich on the internet websites email
anotherone....the PM was aimed at me from a member of admin,but if you wznt pm anyone there is the facility on here.

Read my post I put with some info to help you...you seem frustrated!

I have indeed gone through all the protocol to get my complaint to this point. Just want to clarify a few things, Ascenden refunded the £115 which was added in October - 6 months after my initial complaint to FOS, within a month (amazingly quick for them!) The complaint is in relation to all the other charges they have added, to which they have offered me a £500 figure, this was refused for obvious reasons. I will not accept anything less than what they have added to my account!!!

I feel that they know the charges are excessive, if they didnt then why try and buy my silence with a silly offer. I just dont want the FOS to see a refund of 1 charge, which was added after the initial complaint to FOS to be seen as my acceptance of full and final settlement. I also believe that Ascenden, being aware of an ongoing complaint with the FOS just did it to shut me up!!! I am adamant that I will fight this to the death, I just hope that eventually they will see what these cowboys are doing and put a stop to it!

For them to send more than 30 letters for one missed/late payment this is completely excessive!

I would write (do not phone them) and explain the problem and point out that they are harassing you for a debt that is just one month behind.

If the ring you politely tell them that you do not conduct your business over the telephone and that if they want to discuss the account to do it via letter, that way they cannot say that you agreed or did not agree to something as it will all be in writing.

jasperpad

they push letters through my letterbox no doubt more fees and send silly letters over30 so far when i ring them up they dont help atall

That is a pretty comprehensive complaint format and well worth storing for future use.

I actually remember helping someone with an FOS complaint a couple of years ago concerning a mortgage taken out in 1988 and they had a good result,the mortgage could have been in no way regulated then yet the fos dealt with the complaint so must be worth giving them a try on all and every mortgage .

You could email the Adjudicator something along the lines of (this is from an FOS complaint form, I have previously posted here and has been copied elsewhere):

My complaint is about the excessive and unfair fees and charges applied to my mortgage.

I consider the application of these charges and fees clearly demonstrate that my lender treatment of me has not been sympathetic or positive and incompatible with ‘Treating Customers Fairly’. I also consider that the application of these fees and charges is in clear breach of the requirement of MCOB.

To resolve my complaint, I require a full refund of all of the additional charges and fees, including but not limited to late payment charges, monthly administration fees and litigation fees that have been applied to my account.

In addition I require a payment equivalent to interest at 8% simple from the date each fee and charge was applied to my account until the date of refund.

Taking into consideration recent events with regard to the Financial Services Authority, GMAC and Kensington Mortgage, I also request an additional award in recognition the additional distress and inconvenience caused by my lenders breach of DISP 1.4.3. My lender should have reasonably have known that my complaint would be upheld by the Financial Ombudsman Service and therefore should have taken steps to resolve my complaint at an earlier opportunity.

I would like to take this opportunity to draw your attention to the enclosed ‘Final Notice’ issued by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) the regulator of the finance industry. My lender breached Principle 6 during the Relevant Period in that it failed to pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly.

They applied certain charges to my account that were unfair in that they did not accurately reflect the actual cost of administering an account in arrears. They had not arrived at a cost-based approach to the calculation of its arrears charges and therefore could not be sure that they were reasonable compared to the actual cost incurred. (if a FSA regulated agreement add) Therefore, my lender is in breach of MCOB 12.4.1R.

Lesley Titcomb, FSA Director responsible for the Mortgage Sector, also said

“As our data shows in these current market conditions more people are struggling to meet their mortgage payments and it is vital that firms treat them fairly. This means paying attention to their individual circumstances and not repossessing their homes when there may be an alternative solution. Repossession has to be the last resort. The FSA’s programme of actions to address the problem areas, includes a closer examination of charges, in particular the circumstances in which these are levied, and whether they are compatible with Treating Customers Fairly”

Source: FSA reiterates call for firms to treat customers fairly in current market conditions - FSA/PN/087/2008 - 5August 2008

I consider all of the additional charges and fees applied to my account to be unfair as per the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 because they did not accurately reflect the additional administration work to the mortgage account caused by the fact that I was in arrears. I also contend that by applying these charges and fees to my account my lender has also not met its treating customers fairly (TCF) obligations.

I would like to also take this opportunity to draw your attention to the following

“ Elsewhere, the present debates about bank charges and the previous action of the OFT on credit-card charges are also relevant. We have already seen some customers raise queries about the level of charges made by lenders when they are in debt. The Citizens Advice report suggests that some lenders’ debt-collection practices are distorted by including steps that involve the customer paying additional fees. The range, complexity and level of these charges may all be matters for consideration. But the central question that will no doubt be raised increasingly with the Ombudsman is whether or not the charges levied are lawful. More generally, as my earlier brief example of the mortgage arrears fee shows, the application of extensive fees for customers already experiencing debt problems may not be fair treatment. Certainly it does not always sit well with the sympathetic and positive treatment of those in hardship.”

Suetonius. Thank you for your very in depth reply. I have decided that I want to put everything I can to the FOS in order for them to fully appreciate my claim, therefore I have sent this to the adjudicator dealing with my case. Fingers crossed it will help and feel a bit more confident about things now. I will keep you informed of any updates. thanks again

I have decided that I want to put everything I can to the FOS in order for them to fully appreciate my claim, therefore I have sent this to the adjudicator dealing with my case. Fingers crossed it will help and feel a bit more confident about things now.

my experience of the FOS in this case is very different to what you expect.

i've used the extract from Sue (thanks for that) and added some bits of my own using UTCCR, FSA rules and some stuff on securitisation.

it got passed to an adjudicator who said:

1. Mortgage arrears charges are NOT WITHIN THEIR REMIT TO INVESTIGATE, so he'll look at the overall treatment the bank handed out to me.

2. He considers arrears charges to be fair because they're set at a market rate.

3. The charges were considered fair by the test case last year (same principle).

4. He can't look at the mortgage being sold through the shadow banking system.

5. The bank treated me fairly because it's my fault i went into arrears.

6. He won't look at the legal fees or the solicitor's actions.

I didn't agree with his findings and asked him to explain:

1. How he can call the charges fair without having investigated their actual cost (with a breakdown), especially if he says they're outside his remit.

2. Where it says they can't look at arrears charges (he pointed me to the FSA Handbook).

3. When did the test case look at mortgage account T's and C's or investigate their fees.

4. The solicitor was instructed by the bank as an agent and thus the bank is responsible for their actions.

5. Why does the bank sign its letters with "as administrator". And for whom?

And that if the charges are outside their remit then he cannot refer to them in his decision, not a single point, since its not something he can look at and i don't want his personal opinion on these charges. That would make his decision a bit harder to write up since it all consists of arrears charges!

I didn't get any answers from him. He's now left the FOS and it will be allocated to another adjudicator.

Any advice for me and others taking arrears charges to the FOS and faced with this sort of response?

Edited by tifo

I have indeed gone through all the protocol to get my complaint to this point. Just want to clarify a few things, Ascenden refunded the £115 which was added in October - 6 months after my initial complaint to FOS, within a month (amazingly quick for them!) The complaint is in relation to all the other charges they have added, to which they have offered me a £500 figure, this was refused for obvious reasons. I will not accept anything less than what they have added to my account!!!

I feel that they know the charges are excessive, if they didnt then why try and buy my silence with a silly offer. I just dont want the FOS to see a refund of 1 charge, which was added after the initial complaint to FOS to be seen as my acceptance of full and final settlement. I also believe that Ascenden, being aware of an ongoing complaint with the FOS just did it to shut me up!!! I am adamant that I will fight this to the death, I just hope that eventually they will see what these cowboys are doing and put a stop to it!

....please tell me who did this so i can have a go....which one of you

blows that idea then.... Sorry Tifo.. Thought it might have helped...

No, i think you're/we're on the right path, i just got a bad decision. There's no other explanation for it. It's totally irrational. Would appreciate your help on how to argue it with the FOS, though i do what i can.

How can they say investigating mortgage arrears charges is not within their remit and yet say they believe the charges are fair? And how can they use the test case on overdraft charges to justify these charges? Its two very different scenarios. One is for requesting an overdraft (so they say) and the other is for failing to pay an agreed instalment, much like credit card charges. With very different T's and C's.

If other people have had mortgage arrears charges refunded through the FOS it might help us.

And another thing the adjudicator said is that GMAC/Kensington etc were fined for mistreating their customers and not for charging arrears fees and because my mortgage provider hasn't had any fine imposed (a high street bank) then the FSA fines on others are irrelevant as it only applies to a certain bank.

I would throw throw the MCOB rules at them.

If the Fos cannot enforce FSA rules who can? where do they suggest you go when the FSA themselves have stated you should contact the FOS, and how can they agree that the current charge of £85 for arears management fees reflects the true cost of administration, its not the industry standard but one of the highest if not THE highest charge in the industry.What yardstick and standard are they claiming IS a reasonable figure ? Unless they can quote such a figure their argument falls flat.

If the FOS won't take action ask for their specific reasons in writing and forward this to your MP and tell them you are doing so.

show_instruments_icon.gifMCOB 12.4 Arrears charges: regulated mortgage contracts1

MCOB 12.4.1 rule_icon.gif31/10/2004 (1) A firm must ensure that any regulated mortgage contract that it enters into does not impose, and cannot be used to impose, a charge for arrears on a customer except where that charge is a reasonable estimate of the cost of the additional administration required as a result of the customer being in arrears. 2

(2) Paragraph (1) does not prevent a firm from entering into a regulated mortgage contract with a customer under which the firm may change the rate of interest charged to the customer from a fixed or discounted rate of interest to the firm's standard variable rate if the customer goes into arrears, providing that this standard variable rate is not a rate created especially for customers in arrears.

MCOB 12.4.1A evidential_icon.gif25/06/2010 The imposition of a charge for arrears on a customer who is adhering to an arrangement under which the customer and the firm agree that the customer will make payments of a set amount per month (or other agreed period) on agreed dates may be relied upon as tending to show contravention of MCOB 12.4.1R (1)3

MCOB 12.4.1B rule_icon.gif25/06/2010 When a customer has a payment shortfall in respect of a regulated mortgage contract, a firm must ensure that any payments received from the customer are allocated first towards paying off the balance of the shortfall (excluding any interest or charges on that balance).3

MCOB 12.4.2 guide_icon.gif31/10/2004 A firm may calculate the same level of arrears charges for all regulated mortgage contracts where the customer is in arrears, rather than on the basis of the individual regulated mortgage contract with the particular customer.

MCOB 12.4.3 guide_icon.gif31/10/2004 Firms are also subject to requirements on information provision and standards relating to arrears and repossessions (see MCOB 13 (Arrears and repossessions)).

my experience of the FOS in this case is very different to what you expect.

i've used the extract from Sue (thanks for that) and added some bits of my own using UTCCR, FSA rules and some stuff on securitisation.

it got passed to an adjudicator who said:

1. Mortgage arrears charges are NOT WITHIN THEIR REMIT TO INVESTIGATE, so he'll look at the overall treatment the bank handed out to me.

2. He considers arrears charges to be fair because they're set at a market rate.

3. The charges were considered fair by the test case last year (same principle).

4. He can't look at the mortgage being sold through the shadow banking system.

5. The bank treated me fairly because it's my fault i went into arrears.

6. He won't look at the legal fees or the solicitor's actions.

I didn't agree with his findings and asked him to explain:

1. How he can call the charges fair without having investigated their actual cost (with a breakdown), especially if he says they're outside his remit.

2. Where it says they can't look at arrears charges (he pointed me to the FSA Handbook).

3. When did the test case look at mortgage account T's and C's or investigate their fees.

4. The solicitor was instructed by the bank as an agent and thus the bank is responsible for their actions.

5. Why does the bank sign its letters with "as administrator". And for whom?

And that if the charges are outside their remit then he cannot refer to them in his decision, not a single point, since its not something he can look at and i don't want his personal opinion on these charges. That would make his decision a bit harder to write up since it all consists of arrears charges!

I didn't get any answers from him. He's now left the FOS and it will be allocated to another adjudicator.

Any advice for me and others taking arrears charges to the FOS and faced with this sort of response?

Ok just for starters....

And another thing the adjudicator said is that GMAC/Kensington etc were fined for mistreating their customers and not for charging arrears fees and because my mortgage provider hasn't had any fine imposed (a high street bank) then the FSA fines on others are irrelevant as it only applies to a certain bank.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/final/gmac_rfc.pdf

Arrears charges

4.16.GMAC imposed certain charges related to activities carried out whilst the customer was in arrears, in circumstances that resulted in the unfair treatment of customers.

4.17.These unfair charges were:

(1)charges for non-payment of the monthly mortgage payment by direct debit, when the account was in arrears and no monthly payment was being made;

(2)calculation and imposition of the Early Repayment Charge on mortgage balances which included arrears fees and charges within that balance; and

(3)the proportion of the solicitors’ instruction fee that exceeded the actual cost.

4.18. The above charges were unfair because they did not accurately reflect the additional administration work to the mortgage account caused by the fact that the customer was in arrears.

5.5. In addition, GMAC did not treat its customers fairly as a result of applying certain charges and fees to customers’ accounts that were unfair as they did not accurately reflect the additional cost of administering an account in arrears in breach of MCOB 12.4.1R and 13.3.1 R.

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/MCOB/12

http://fsahandbook.info/FSA/html/handbook/MCOB/13

Ask the adjudicator (when you get a replacement) about these sections of the FSA Handbook as posted by Peter