• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

friends Basic state pension - help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1201 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 14/01/2020 at 15:04, HP Mum said:

Asking for a friend:

Born in '48; doesn't have a UK passport, but educated here and owns property here, resident for most of adult life - although each year split between UK/ abroad.

Ran own business  about 40y ago but is vague on if ever was given a NI number ... 🤔

Certainly doesn't have it to hand.

Also can't remember anything about tax returns ??

Had some income generated overseas at other residence.  Was wealthy, kind of a person of independent means.   But not now.

How do I assist on ascertaining if eligible for basic state pension?

Would have been able to claim since 2013, but hasn't.

I have access to some boxes of private papers - where might I find the NI# or something else that may help locate it?

Friend currently abroad.

I'm just putting this here to remind us where we started at.

I'm having trouble understanding how he could live in the UK and have no relevant paperwork. If he had a company surely he would have paid tax and there would be records?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Your friend does seem rather vague about all his business and tax affairs. 

I still think the only practical way forward is to, first, use the form CA 5403 I linked in post#6 to find out if he has a NI number. Without knowing that you are just going round in circles.

If doesn't have one then he cannot get a state pension in his own right because he hasn't made any NI contributions - NI contributions cannot be paid without an NI number. If he does have one he can use one of the routes already suggested to find out his contribution record or contact the Pensions Centre directly to find out what his entitlement is. Find his Pensions Centre here: https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-centre

I found this article about whether a man can get state pension based on his wife's contribution record. Possibly seems to be the answer, but I don't know if your friend would meet the criteria.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-7555243/Can-husband-claim-state-pension-wifes-NI-record.html

• Like 2

He has paperwork in the UK but his place is such a mess I don't know where to start looking.  He's away now.  And i think a bit confused.

The company he ran was apparently about 40y ago and I haven't found any paperwork relating to it.  Not sure if proper company or sole trader of if he ever made profit/ paid tax?  I have asked, but so far have not got any answers that will help me (in the Uk) help him.   From what I gather now, his wife earned an income and had started claiming pension - and it seems easier to claim as widowed spouse rather than via his own records - which I think potentially dont exist.

Just had a read of the link article.

The wife was born in '38. 

The article states that "the opportunity for men to claim on the wife's NI contributions under 'old' basic state pension system was only introduced at start of last decade [in 00s] ...  But only covers women born between certain dates".   After 5 April 1950 is the eligible date.   So in friend's case his wife was born too early for him to claim - if she was still alive? 

The article continues:

"...in the unfortunate event that you were to become a widower, you would be able to inherit part of any earnings-related state pension that your wife was receiving"

Do I understand this correctly:

because he was widowed in 07 (9 years) after his wife started claiming her state pension (in 98) that he can 'inherit' it? 

He wouldn't have been able to make a claim if she was still alive?  But can now she has passed?

The article says: "If married woman receiving SERPS  pension dies before her husband, he can inherit 50-100%"

I checked out the Gov link.

It says:  

Wife was automatically eligible for an additional state pension by her age (born before 1953) - unless she opted out - and due to reaching pension age before April 2016.

She would have got the 'Additional State Pension' if she contributed to the State Earnings-Related Pension Scheme if employed from 1978-2002.    She was.

The link re 'inheriting pension' shows:

woman born before 5 October 1942 - husband could inherit 100%

This has been very helpful info.. Thanks for the article link

Edited by HP Mum

I passed on the article and link to friend.

Between us we will now try get the required info to the correct location so that they (whoever in the Govt) can sort out what he is owed.

I will keep you updated.  This thread may help others in similar situations.

Ethel Street - very helpful research.  Thank you.  Seems like you came up trumps!

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Have received notes booklet and claim forms from dwp  for friend to fill in. 

Got certified copy of marriage certificate.

One query about tax?

Friend was eligible for his pension in 13. Became widower in 07.  If eligible for many years deferred pension payments - would tax be payable?  Is it that if takes all the deferred years in one off lump sum, that tax would be paid over the annual personal allowance?

Edited by HP Mum

• 2 months later...

Update on this  pension issue

Filled in and sent off the pension form for friend ages ago

Just got letter asking for more info.

They want to know info about spending time overseas.

1) at any time in your life have you worked or lived outside of UK  - Y/N

2) were you born in the uk - Y/N

3) if you were born overseas please tell us where you were born / date you came to live in the uk

4) country you lived or worked in

5) date you lived or worked there - from... to ...

6) foreign security number

Please provide as much info as poss as this will allow us to award your full entitlement to State Pension.

In answer to these questions - he has always juggled life between 2 countries/ he was born overseas and has overseas passport/ he was educated in uk/ married in uk/ raised kids in uk/ has home in uk.

I am not sure if he ever "worked" overseas - but he did own property/ received rental income. So assume that he would have a foreign security number.  But I do need to check this - as property may have been owned by a company based elsewhere and income subject to different territory taxation??

What I want affirmation of/ confirmation of :

if he earned income overseas and had a foreign security number

would he be expected to claim own pension via that country? 

Or because his main residence, most of life, raising kids and late wife were all in the UK he will be ok to still claim his uk pension via late wife's pension?

Edited by HP Mum

• 1 month later...

Update on this for friend

Amazingly dwp have located a ni number and have confirmed eligibility.  Not for full amount/ week - but he will now get a weekly amount paid monthly in arrears!!

So dwp have paid for this year, to date

And advised friend will receive a lump sum back payment from time he came of pension age. About 7y.

Dwp haven't yet confirmed eligibility for late wife's % share of her pension.  

But absolutely delighted to have got this far, so far.

Glad to have helped friend

Will keep updated on what happens next

well done hp

power to your elbow

good investigative work there.

• Thanks 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Further update on this:

1) DWP have now confirmed eligibility for late wife's pension!! 

Turns out that she hadn't started claiming it.  So 9y of unclaimed State Pension, 98-07, that is now due to friend as either

a) a lump sum payment plus a small weekly bonus (classed as extra State Pension) payment added to his weekly payment

OR 

b) just a slightly higher weekly payment added to his own Pension monthly payment

2) DWP have confirmed friend's eligibility for his own unclaimed State Pension, 13-20, that also is due as

a) a lump sum payment

OR

b) a small bonus weekly payment (classed as extra State Pension) on top of his monthly amount.

Seems that late wife didn't have a large pension pot - as the extra weekly amount that could be paid to friend is only apx £25/w and the lump sum apx 6k. 

Whilst the lump sum due to him - who didn't even expect to be eligible  - is apx £21k

If friend took both as lump sums I guess he'd have to pay tax??

He has no income presently, so I assume this would be personal allowance tax free and remainder taxed??

Hi HB - this is the curious thing - as he didn't think he had a NI # and didn't remember paying tax. 

He has property assets in the UK but earns no income from them. 

He is currently overseas and not earning there either. 

As DWP has now given him his NI # I assume he is on their records for tax purposes. 

But his income would show as 0

What does that mean for him with regards to the pension payments - weekly and lump sums - and tax payable?

just to be clear in my mind - is it that he'd pay 20% over and above the current personal allowance of £12.5k?

OR

just as an afterthought here - is he allowed 25% tax free?

I just did a check on-line and found this Which article:

Is the deferred state pension lump sum taxable?

The state pension lump sum is taxable at the rate you are currently paying.  So if you're a basic-rate (20%) taxpayer at the time you come to withdraw the state pension lump sum, you'll be taxed as a basic-rate taxpayer, even if the lump sum you get pushes you into a higher tax bracket. 

The Department for Work and Pensions, will send you a declaration form when you come to claim, where you'll have to say what rate of tax you currently pay. 

HMRC will check this at the end of the tax year, and if too much tax has been deducted you'll get a refund. But if you haven't paid enough tax, you will have to make up the difference. 

It doesn't seem to indicate that deferred 'state pension' lump sums are considered as a withdrawal /eligible for the 25% tax free.  Anyone have knowledge on this?

I also found a pension lump sum withdrawal calculator on Which.  But I am not sure if its the correct tool in this 'basic pension' deferred issue??

Edited by HP Mum

I haven't looked at State pensions lately, I thought 25% tax free cash was from a private pension.

Does this person live more than six months of the year in the UK? If not, they may not be subject to UK tax.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

aah - yes that's probably it. 

So he will be taxed at 20% on the deferred state pension - IF subject to UK tax.

He hasn't been in the UK for quite a while now (that's why I'm helping out) due to serious illness and family issues overseas. 

He told me/ gave me his social security # for his overseas location but i don't think he has income / is registered to pay tax there...  Will check

Thanks for the link HB

Edited by HP Mum

I've not had a chance to research this properly but I'm not sure if the arrears that have accrued would be treated in the same way as a deferred pension, opted for by a pensioner.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi HPM,

What I'm saying is that, for tax purposes, I'm not sure that arrears (accrued because the pension simply was not claimed when it could/should have been)

would be treated in the same way as a lump sum (paid because a pensioner elected to defer the pension for a later lump sum and higher weekly amount).

This concerns YF's own pension, and that of his late wife.

I think YF will become "visible" to HMRC and need to fill in tax returns declaring all income including pensions, investment and property income.

If he is not living here for more than 6 months of a tax year, the issue of Residency for Tax Purposes may need to be addressed and decided on by HMRC.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 months later...

Just a brief happy update on this

Dwp gave 2 lump sum payments: late wife's and his own.

Dwp gave friend the opportunity to split them into different tax years to reduce any tax payable.  So we organized for late wife's to go in last tax year and friend's  to go into current tax year.   This reduced tax liability.    

Dwp also now give friend weekly pension (paid monthly) from 2 sources - his and his late wife's pension.

Friend received the lump sums recently.

He is delighted.

This took a long time - but we got there. 

(my own life may be a mess but at least something I've tried has gone right!)

Thanks to those who assisted.

• Thanks 1