• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Arrow/RestonsClaimform - Old Egg Loan - CCJ - Now AOE request

barafear799
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the case is stayed nothing to withdraw

next move is their's should they wish to pay and lift the stay

if they feel brave enough to proceed

if you wish scan up what they have sent?

upload

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

trying to upload file - struggling!!!

Ah - it seems to be there.

Ok - I've redacted personal info - I've also redacted some of the "numbers" - suffice to say the outstanding debt being chased is more than £11,000.

Looking forward to some advice - with most grateful thanks.

restons_egg_redacted.pdf

Not sure what "all of the prescribed terms" are.

The final payment of £11.75 does seem to be correct.

As I said in a previous post, I had an old Standing order set up on an account - which I forgot to cancel and it went through one month. Albeit - even without that, my previous payment would not have been outside the SB limits.

Hi, Having had a search on what the prescribed terms are,

the agreement does show the original loan amount,

also states the interest rate and the amount and number of repayments and when they were due.

Can anyone offer some advice please on whether or what I need to do next please?

Many thanks

where are the T&C's?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I though you said you'd been reading up......

so if we said everytime you post it costs you £10

and we want our money...and its in our T&C's...

you'd say...but you've not sent them to me..thats unfair...

dx

and they

Thank you. I guess I owe CAG about £1300 by now then.

Sorry - clearly my research was lacking - so does the lack of T&Cs make the debt unenforceable, as it was a pre-2007 agreement?

If I push it, are they likely to produce a "reconstituted or standard" set of t&cs?

Many thanks for your guidance.

• 10 months later...

Long overdue follow up from me!

Apologies,

I haven't really fully understood what's been happening to me in this "case".

I received a letter dated 3rd Jan 2017 from Restons Solicitors regarding this case.

In the letter it stated

"We enclose by way of service a copy of our Application Notice and supporting evidence which has been filed with the Court today.

We have asked the Court to deal with the Application without a hearing as we do not consider a hearing is necessary.

Once this has been referred to a Judge, he or she should then either make an Order in the terms requested or they may decide that the application needs to be considered at a hearing.

Either way, you should receive an Order from the Court in due course which confirms the decision made."

As I say,

I really didn't fully understand this letter

- I probably only read half the above

- saw the bit about not needing a hearing and was "happy and relieved"

Attached to the letter was a whole wodge of paperwork

- re: their evidence against me

- which I only glanced over at the time.

Looking through the paperwork in more detail,

they have completed an N244 form asking for the following:

An ex-parte Order to:

1. Lift the stay on these proceedings.

2. Strike out the defence pursuant to CPR 3.4(2) of the Civil Procedure Rules on the basis that it discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim and/or is an abuse of the Court process; and

3: Enter Judgement for the sum of £xx,xxx.xx (more than £10k)

Alternatively if the court is not minded to deal with this application on an ex-parte basis, the Claimant seeks an Order:

1. To left the stay on these proceedings

2. To strike out the defence pursuant to CPR 3.4(2) of the CPR on the basis that it discloses no reasonable grounds for defending the claim and/or is an abuse of the Court process; or

3. In the alternative to (2) above, on order for Summary Judgement against the Defendant under part 24.2 of the CPR.

The defendant has no real prospect of successfully defending the claim and there is no other compelling reason why the case whould be disposed of at a trial; and

4. That the defendant do pay the Claimant's costs on a contractual (indemnity) basis, pursuant to CPR 44.5

Following on from my post above,

looking at the paperwork (it's vast),

there is a section written by Restons detailing why they feel my defence should not succeed.

1) The defendant does not dispute signing the Credit Agreement, being provided with a loan or the fact that the loan has not been repaid.

In fact, in paragraph 2, the defendant admits having had financial dealings with Egg in the past.

2) Throughout the lifetime of the account,

the Defendant would have been sent annual statements of account by the original creditor which would have recorded payments made towards the account and the application of interest etc.

3) The defendant does not allege he is still being pursued by the original creditor and hence there is no sensible reason for the defendant to challenge the assignment of the account.

In any event,

evidence has been exhibited which shows a notice of assignment has previously been served on the defendant, contrary to what is alleged in the defence

4) Info provided to my firm is that the last payment credited to the account was on 30 Nov 2012, and that a balance of £xx,xxx.xx remained outstanding at the time my firm were instructed.

This is confirmed by a screenshot exhibited as evidence in this pack.

5) I am unaware of any valid request being made to the creditor pursuant to S77 of the CCA 1974, but in any event, a copy of the Credit Agreement and a Statement of Account is exhibited in this witness statement.

6) The documents exhibited to this witness statement show that the defendant entered into a credit agreement with Egg,

Egg assigned its rights and duties under the Credit agreement,

the Defendant has been served with notice of both assignments and a balance of £xx,xxx.xx remains outstanding.

7) I respectfully point out to the Court that the Defence filed is in a format that is circulated on consumer-based websites whereby Defendants are encouraged to use this template in order to avoid repayment of their debts.

Although the Defendant has made numerous allegations,

it is my belief that the Defendant does not fully understand the nature of the allegations raised and is merely using the template in an attempt to frustrate these proceedings,

without any genuine belief in the allegations raised.

I have paraphrased some of the points above.......

I think I need some help in understanding some of the allegations I have made, please.

Moving on, following this letter,

I then received a letter from the Northampton court advising me my claim had been transferred to my local crown court.

I cannot find any other paperwork in between that (dated 13 Jan) and a letter I received last week giving me a court date in March (when I am actually out of the country!)

- there was some mention that I should have received something to advise on any "black out dates" - but either I didn't get or don't remember or didn't open

- I will have another look.

But obviously this is the situation as it stands.

I understand if I want/need to change dates, it might cost me a fee

- I couldn't find anywhere how much this might be.

Any help forthcoming on moving on with this claim would be very much appreciated

(even though clearly Restons do not appreciate these consumer-based websites helping people avoid paying their debts).

Thank you.

scan up what they have sent please

and they

the two letters sound like they are std rectums template replies with your bit added

we've seen them before

so all we really need to see is

the CCA return [ signed agreement & T&C's]

the default notice

letter of assignment

statement

and they

Hi, Scanned the first 15 pages before I read your response above - so will now look into scanning what you've asked for above - but here goes for this one that I have scanned.

struggling to upload my file.

I follow the help guide - I manage to browse my computer,

find the file and then the only option I have on the "manage documents" page is "close window" - when I click that, it disappears and I'm left with an empty message......any tips please?

another try?

Aha.....it seems to have worked.

and a bit more (including a rebuking letter re: my unsigned letter, which the man from Arrow also left unsigned!)

Any assistance much appreciated.

I will attempt to dig out any letters regarding the court date at my local court in 5 weeks

(a date which I am unable to make)

- did anyone know what the fee is for me to change this date?

ok, here goes:

court papers_2_ Mar 17_redacted.pdf

possible court case Mar_17_redacted.pdf

oh and I like the way they complain that your defence is a template document available from website to get out of paying..

just iike their documents then...

here exactly what you have just gotten from them word for word

post 43

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?469544-469544&p=4990635#post4990635

and they

and a letter I received last week giving me a court date in March (when I am actually out of the country!)

it looks like the court has decided on a hearing re the claimants application rather than without as the claimant wanted.

what are the courts directions, can you post them up.

So, on 13 Jan 2017, I received a short letter stating:

To all parties,

This claim has been transferred to the County Court at ****** (my home town) for that court to hear the claimant's application for summary judgement,

That court will send you and the other parties notice of the time, date and place of hearing.

- there was some mention that I should have received something to advise on any "black out dates" - but either I didn't get or don't remember or didn't open

- I will have another look.

what is this about, did you have 'another look'

anyway, if you cant make the date, and want to attend, then wld have to adjourn/relist it. whether you may be able to do that without fee...?

I couldn't find a letter asking me to fill in suitable dates for a possible court date. Given the two letters above are only 13 days apart, it seems unlikely one came. I think I Googled how to change a court date and read that I should have had a letter requesting black out dates?

Does anyone know about the fee or avoiding it?

Also, some advice about what I should be doing in terms of my upcoming date?

There was some mention the loan agreement they sent did not have the prescribed t&c attached? Can someone confirm whether I could argue this point in court?

Thank you.

cld give the court a discreet call re not being able to attend (usually a 'good reason' is required. being pre booked away shld suffice), see whether they can do it administratively without application (fee).

check with the guys first though.

Tried to call court. It's just a "general" call centre - so no "discretion" available.

Was told that if I could get the consent of the claimant, I could apply for a consent order to change the date, at a cost of £100!!!

Without their consent, £250!!!

So that's a no-goer for me I'm afraid.

So, I'm left with providing written evidence in my absence, and probably resigned to the fact that Arrow will send a local solicitor and win the case.

Any assistance please?