• Tweets

• Hi, I have an old outstanding debt from 1994 due to MBNA for £20,000. The debt has been passed to various DCAs and is currently with PRA Group.  I sent them a CCA letter in January 2024. They acknowledged this letter and stated they would come back when they had more information, however the information did not arrive within the 12 working day scenario.. I have just received a copy of the agreement which goes back to 1994 from them. In their response letter they have stated " Please find enclosed documentation received to date: we are waiting further documents in order to complete your request. We have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable which means we are not able to take court or further action against you to recover the outstanding balance". They then go on to state "we are still legally entitled to:  1.Contact you to ask and repay what you owe 2.Pass your details onto a third party collection agency 3. Continue to report your account with the credit reference bureaux (as appropriate)". I'm at a loss as to what I should do next and would appreciate any guidance on this matter. I am currently paying £5.00 pcm. TIA      
    • My understanding is that they won't provide the name to me whether the investigation is Live or Closed, & I have no legal rep as I didn't have P.I. Cover on my policy, & am intending to claim using OIC.org.uk, but remain completely stuck as they 100% cannot open a claim on the portal without both the Reg. No. & Name of the other driver.  
    • thanks again ftmdave, your words are verey encouraging and i do appreciate them. i have taken about 2 hours to think of a letter to write to the ceo...i will paste it below...also how would i address a ceo? do i just put his name? or put dear sir? do you think its ok?  i would appreciate feedback/input from anybody if anything needs to be added/taken away, removed if incorrect etc. i am writing it on behalf of my friend..she is the named driver  - im the one with the blue badge and owner of the car - just for clarification. thanks in adavance to everyone.       My friend and I are both disabled and have been a victim of disability discrimination on the part of your agents.   I have been incorrectly 'charged' by your agent 'excel parking' for overstaying in your car park, but there was no overstay. The letter I recieved said the duration of stay was 15 minutes but there is a 10 minute grace period and also 5 minutes consideration time, hence there was no duration of stay of 15 minutes.   I would like to take this oppertunity to clarify what happend at your Gravesend store. We are struggling finacially due to the 'cost of living crisis' and not being able to work because we are both disabled, we was attracted to your store for the 10 items for £10 offer. I suffer dyslexia and depression and my friend who I take shopping has a mobility disability. We went to buy some shopping at your Gravesend branch of Iceland on 28th of December 2023, we entered your car park, tried to read and understand the parking signs and realised we had to pay for parking. We then realised we didnt have any change for the parking machine so went back to look for coins in the car and when we couldnt find any we left. As my friend has mobility issues it takes some time for me to help him out of the car, as you probably understand this takes more time than it would a normal able bodied person. As I suffer dyslexia I am sure you'll agree that it took me more time than a normal person to read and understand the large amount of information at the pay & display machine. After this, it took more time than an able bodied person to leave the car park especially as I have to help my friend on his crutches etc get back into the car due to his mobility disability. All this took us 15 minutes.   I was the driver of my friends car and he has a blue badge. He then received a 'notice to keeper' for a 'failure to purchase a parking tariff'. On the letter it asked to name the driver if you wasnt the driver at the time, so as he wasnt the driver he named me. I appealed the charge and told them we are disabled and explained the situation as above. The appeal was denied, and even more so was totally ignored regarding our disabilities and that we take longer than an able bodied person to access the car and read the signs and understand them. As our disabilities were ignored and disregarded for the time taken I believe this is discrimination against us. I cannot afford any unfair charges of this kind as I am severely struggling financially. I cannot work and am a carer for my disabled Son who also has a mental and mobility disability. I obviously do not have any disposable income and am in debt with my bills. So its an absolute impossibility for me to pay this incorrect charge.     After being discriminated by your agent my friend decided to contact 'iceland customer care team' on my behalf and again explained the situation and also sent photos of his disabled blue badge and proof of disability. He asked the care team to cancel the charge as ultimately its Iceland's land/property and you have the power over excel parking to cancel it. Again we was met with no mention or consideration for our disability and no direct response regarding the cancellation, all we was told was to contact excel parking. He has replied over 20 times to try to get the 'care team' to understand and cancel this but its pointless as we are just ignored every time. I believe that Ignoring our disability is discrimination which is why I am now contacting you.     I have noticed on your website that you are 'acting' to ease the 'cost of living crisis' : https://about.iceland.co.uk/2022/04/05/iceland-acts-to-ease-the-cost-of-living-crisis/   If you really are commited to helping people in this time of crisis ..and especially two struggling disabled people, can you please cancel this charge as it will only cause more damage to our mental health if you do not.  
    • I've also been in touch via the online portal to the Police's GDPR team, to request the name of the other Driver. Got this response:   Dear Mr. ---------   Our Ref: ----------   Thank you for your request which has been forwarded to the Data Protection Team for consideration.   The data you are requesting is third party, we would not give this information directly to you.   Your solicitor or legal team acting on our behalf would approach us directly with your signed (wet) consent allowing us to consider the request further.   I note the investigation is showing as ‘live’ at this time, we would not considered sharing data for suggested injury until the investigation has been closed.   If you wish to pursue a claim once the investigation has been closed please signpost your legal team to [email protected]   Kind regards   ----------------- Data Protection Assistant    
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Excel/BW Claimform - PCN dated 2011 Ebbw Vale, The Walk **CASE DISMISSED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get the documents requested back from them?

I'm quite looking forward to my day in court.

After all what have I got to lose?

In my case I cant find anywhere that says the registered keeper has to disclose who was driving no matter how many irrelevant legal cases they try to bamboozle me with.

OK you can write to the court and ask that the claim be struck out under CPR 16.4 for failing to show a cause for action by way of "Strict Proof" that the defendant was driving at the time as there is no keeper liability.

Also, that Excel have no locus standi as the proper claimant would be VCS, a different company.

A request for the same as a CPR 31.14 request has gone unanswered so Excel have not only failed to show a cause for action but are abusing the civil procedure process.

Send this to either the court allocated or to the Northampton business centre address with your claim ref.

There are several scenarios of what may happen next so astrike out wont be automatic,

I had a similar thing and the claimants were ordered to attend a case management hearing and they had their claim summarily dismissed when they failed to show they were the lawful claimant.

Defense to be submitted:

I was not the driver on the date and time of the alleged event therefore no contract of any kind was undertaken by me.

This alleged event was prior to the Protection of Freedom Act so no keeper liability is possible or admitted.

What do you think?

I'm still waiting for Excel to provide bw legal with the info requested in my CPR request or so they said in their last letter to me.

I had the same the a letter saying that their client intend to continue with the claim. I think it's a form of bullying and edging on fraud as they haven even proved the driver and they try to claim of the keeper even knowing that the keeper isn't the driver.

yes said this already

they are learning from the tactics of the likes of restons on consumer credit cases

threaten intimidate and divide.

ignore.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

might have been better to state you are the registered keeper and not mention the word driver at all in that defence

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Dx100k

Ok cheers.

I will delete the first line and just use the single next line:

I was the registered keeper but this alleged event was prior to the Protection of Freedom act so no keeper liability is possible or admitted.

Thanks

Edited by Cutty Sark

just check EB has not posted anything else in his posts here.

dx

and they

read through all the posts again.

Everything you need is here

but you need to decide what way to approach the matter.

As ther driver is deceased you can name them and as there is no keeper liability they are stuffed.

You can't pick words from one place and mix them with words from another.

That is why you screwed up the demand for strict proof and other statements,

the words mean something and you haven't taken the time to do your homework and read beyond your own thread.

You have a brilliant defence but if you angle it or don't bother submitting it properly you will destroy your own case without excel having to do any work themselves.

Now, write out what you want to say and we will edit it for you

but please read about things before you put words down so it is clear to us that on the day you know what you are on about rather than just repeating what you have read somewhere that isnt applicable

.It isnt that difficult but it is necessary

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hello EB,

Loads of confusion here.

Jcbkabs has input some comments in this thread which are pertinent to his case which is in the same carpark but separate from mine.

I havent made any demands for strict proof of anything.

My simple entry of defence was as follows:

I was the registered keeper but the alleged event was prior to the Protection of Freedom Act so no keeper liability is possible or admitted.

I had to submit an outline defence by 4 pm today on the 10th or I would have received an automatic judgement against me.

It is my intention to fully explore this defence and explain the circumstances in the next stage where I have to submit a witness statement and supporting documents.

My outline defence made no mention of the driver as I was advised.

I have read other threads and this advise is common throughout as it will be up to the claimant to prove I was the driver. This will be impossible as I was not.

I hope this has cleared up the misunderstanding.

My next move I believe will be to write to the court and ask for the case to struck out as bwlegal/Excel have failed to comply with my CPR request made on the 23rd March.

I calculate the date to do this wil be tomorrow 11.4.17 as this allows for the 14 days quoted plus 5 days allowance for postal delays.

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Edited by Cutty Sark

Yep, go for it.

As advised on many threads dont be surprised if you hear nothing from this because it may just get added to the case file and not get read until the day before the hearing

but having it down in writing will force the mater to be considered at the beginning of the hearing and it will certainly get up the nose of the judge that a solicitor issuing tens of thousands of these claims disobey the rules every time and then claims it is just a slip up

EB,

Letter written to Northampton court but holding onto it till you advise.

The car park owner currently is ESS-GEE Investments Ltd but they only registered the property with the Land Registry on 23/06/2016

I found this out by researching the owner of the car park as VCS was quoted but I think they are another EXCEL

type organization.

I am wondering who EXCEL are claiming on behalf of or with permission from who? For all I know the company that owned the car park back in 2011 is wound up.

I say this because I researched some of the Directors and other staff listed via Companies House website and found these people are listed in several other property holding companies some of which no longer exist.

To my way of thinking this further weakens EXCEL's claim but until they comply with the CPR request I cant possibly know who owned the car park in 2011 (unless I do some more research).

Interestingly, ESS-GEE list several people who have resigned plus the following people in position: a company secretary, a director, a property director and a CAMERA OPERATOR. He is also holding the same position in other property holding companies by the look of it.

Anyhow, I will send the strike out request to Northampton Court with the current land holders name and dig further when the time comes unless you advise otherwise.

Thank you.

Edited by Cutty Sark
for clarity.

Update 13.4.17

Letter received today from Northampton Court confirming receipt of my defence statement:

A copy is being served on the claimant.

They may contact me direct to attempt to resolve any dispute.

If the dispute cannot be resolved informally the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed.

The court will then inform you (me) of what will happen.

Where he wishes to proceed the claimant must contact the court within 28 days after receiving a copy of your defence.

After that period has elapsed the claim will be stayed.

The only action the claimant can then take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

Content added to thead for information, especially anyone researching their own situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 03/05/2017

Letter received from Northampton court:

Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Court.

No to Mediation?

Copy to BWL without disclosure of my personal e-mail and telephone no?

These seem to be correct responses to the N180 form.

Is there an easy way to find a local court to input on the form as I don't want to travel all the way up to Northampton if I were to leave it blank?

I have to file the N180 with the court by 15 May 2017

Many thanks for the ongoing assistance.

It should be automatically allocated to your local civil justice centre, but to make doubly sure, Google your local/nearest one (or another one that is convenient for you) and pop that on the form.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

good that's just what you want.

dx

and they

you can request a court near to your place of work or another court if you have access problems at your local one.

Other than that it automatically gets sent to the defendants local court.

that forces Excel/BW to shell out money to attend but in reality they pay a gun for hire to show up instead.

Costs are limited

this normally means they are making a loss on the deal before they have said a word.

Sometimes the firm sends a paralegal along so it is worth challenging their right of audience.

You will need to read up on this and take a copy of the law along with you

but someone who isnt a solicitor cant speak unless their client is present.

A paralegalworking for a local firm falls foul of this regulation and BW/Gladdys often get caught out by being cheapskates.

When you do get notice of the allocation you can fire off a strike out request and a request for your costs as well.

This request will have nothing to do with land ownership and VCS could well have had a legitimate contract with the previous landowners

but you are not being sued by either of them and that is the point

Update 06/05/2017

Letter received today from BWLegal:

we enclose by way of service upon you a copy of the Directions Questionaire.

A copy has been filed at court.

On the reverse are instructions on how to pay 'my account' which I regard as totall tosh as I do not recognise my having an account with them.

I thought the court served the N180 on me anyhow not these people but that's a minor point.

They have ticked the box agreeing to mediation.

They have agreed the small claims track is appropriate

Entered No to asking the court's permission to use the written evidence of an expert

Entered TBC (To Be Confirmed?) for the 'how many witnesses, including yourself will give evidence at the hearing' question

And No for including a fee.

They have signed the document with a stamped 'BW Legal in both boxes within the document.

This is a description of how this claim is progressing for information.

Hopefully it will be of use to anyone researching their own situation.

Edited by Cutty Sark

willy waving technique to unsettle defendants that they've learn off lowells that they use on moneyclaims like credit card debts they've bought.

until yo get yours from the court its meaningless and you do nothing.

and they