Working and poor

shylass
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Once upon a time I was married and both my husband and I were working. A few years later I became pregnant and went on maternity leave and decided not to go back to work until my daughter was old enough to start full-time education. It was a struggle as we relied on my husband's income, which was only a factory worker's wage. When my daughter was old enough to start education I found myself another job and things were fine living on 2 incomes even though they were not the best of wages. A few years later the tax credits system started up and we were both entitled to it, even though it wasn't a great deal. Some years later we got divorced and I became a one-parent mother, but tax credits increased and topped up my wages so at least I wasn't financially as bad off as I expected I was going to be.

Years passed by and my daughter left college. My tax credits had ended, child benefit had stopped and I was only entitled to just over a tenner working tax. I am entitled to no housing benefit either as they said now that my daughter has a job she would be made to pay her share. So off she goes to live with her boyfriend.

My point is, I would be better off not working as I don't get any help from the system. By the time I have paid my rent, council tax and travelling to work, I'm only left with £72. I'd get more than this on benefits plus my rent would be paid and so would my council tax. To top it all off I would even get free prescriptions, free dental and free glasses.

I know I'm going to get loads of abuse here, but I have paid my taxes and national insurance for years. I am so poor I feel like I'm already on benefits. I can't afford the basic essentials sometimes. I've not been on holiday since I was married so it goes to show that two wages are better than one. I still have to pay the same gas and electric bills, water bills, TV license etc. I have no social life anymore as I can't afford to go out. It gets so bad sometimes that I don't even have the money to get to work.

If I gave up my job, what would the consequences be?

My point is, I would be better off not working as I don't get any help from the system. By the time I have paid my rent, council tax and travelling to work, I'm only left with £72. I'd get more than this on benefits plus my rent would be paid and so would my council tax. To top it all off I would even get free prescriptions, free dental and free glasses.

I'll not go in to how much I earn, but like you, I barely have much to live on once all the bills have been paid. I would certainly not go back to claiming JSA if I could avoid it. Having experienced the Work Programme in one of its previous incarnations and seeing what is currently being inflicted on the unemployed, I'll stay where I am.

At least there is scope for overtime during the busy periods (mainly at Christmas), and if it gets too cold at home, I can find a warm office to hide up in.

Social life, what is that ??

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Thanks Mr P. It sounds like I'll have to just stick with it until something with better pay comes along

have you looked at improving your skills at night school etc , really the only way you will significantly improve your income is to get a better job which would mean qualifications

I agree with Mr P.

I know a few single mothers who are in the opposite situation, where they want to go back to work because the benefit system is not as good and straight forward as it sounds especially if kids have left home.

Many, many years ago DWP used to have a slogan that 'You're always better off in work'. It wasn't true then and it certainly isn't true now, at least not financially.

If you're single with no children and live at home then yes, most often you will be better off in work. However if, for example, you have child care to pay, travel costs and clothing, or you're in the same situation as the OP, then very often you're not.

• Confused 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

i agree with the above , if you fit into a 'box' then you are better off not working where as other people would be better off , however being a single parent how do you make the jump from benefits to earning thats the hard part .

Just one thing that stood out- you mention your daughter. If she's not living in your household then it might be worth reapplying for housing benefit. She was only expected to contribute whilst she lived with you.

If you don't ask you don't get!!!

I truly hope things improve for you x

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

Once upon a time I was married and both my husband and I were working. A few years later I became pregnant and went on maternity leave and decided not to go back to work until my daughter was old enough to start full-time education. It was a struggle as we relied on my husband's income, which was only a factory worker's wage. When my daughter was old enough to start education I found myself another job and things were fine living on 2 incomes even though they were not the best of wages. A few years later the tax credits system started up and we were both entitled to it, even though it wasn't a great deal. Some years later we got divorced and I became a one-parent mother, but tax credits increased and topped up my wages so at least I wasn't financially as bad off as I expected I was going to be.

Years passed by and my daughter left college. My tax credits had ended, child benefit had stopped and I was only entitled to just over a tenner working tax. I am entitled to no housing benefit either as they said now that my daughter has a job she would be made to pay her share. So off she goes to live with her boyfriend.

I know I'm going to get loads of abuse here, but I have paid my taxes and national insurance for years. I am so poor I feel like I'm already on benefits. I can't afford the basic essentials sometimes. I've not been on holiday since I was married so it goes to show that two wages are better than one. I still have to pay the same gas and electric bills, water bills, TV license etc. I have no social life anymore as I can't afford to go out. It gets so bad sometimes that I don't even have the money to get to work.

Hi, just wanted to say i do feel for you as i was like you at one point in my life, have you checked to see if you are claiming all the help/benefits you can claim ?

I think loads of councils now have people paying something and a lot of private tennants again have to pay something to their rent due to change in the LHA.

... By the time I have paid my rent, council tax and travelling to work, I'm only left with £72. I'd get more than this on benefits plus my rent would be paid and so would my council tax. To top it all off I would even get free prescriptions, free dental and free glasses. ...

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to make comparisons. That said, compared to JSA, you've just said you'd be about the same or slightly better off - you wouldn't have travel to work costs. JSA is about £73,

If you're on a low income, you can apply for assistance with NHS prescription costs. Might be worth a peek. And, as has been said, try HB again. And don't forget the single person's discount on CT.

Also, have a look at night classes. There is sometimes financial assistance available if you're on a low income.

There used to be a saying, and I'm sure it's as true today as it was when I first heard it - it's easier to find work when you're in work.

• Haha 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. There is some great advice on here. I will surely look into all the suggestions and hopefully try to get sorted. I particularly like the idea of gaining more qualifications and didn't realise that I may qualify for some assistance towards the fees. Thank you once again

wondering why you don't qualify for working tax credits you mentioned it ended also don't know your career history/CV but depending on your location you should be able to get a better job in a good economy then prior (ie not in a recession like 2008 crash) also for uni maybe a student loan or CDL (career development loan) but that's an actual loan which you gotta pay back straight away unlike the student loan which in theory you can legally default on in certain conditions

People have mentioned a lot of the consequences already but a few you should also think about is UC and how horrendous that bus, the terrible way the jobcentre treats everyone eg psychological abuse and bullying. Plus the various pointless schemes, the constant threat of sanction to force to comply

You may not have so much money now but you are better off avoiding the Jobcentre as much as you can as its really not worth the hassle from them, hassle you expected to happen here is nothing compared to the depths they sink to