British Gas standing charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Please can someone offer me some advice on this matter.

I have been living in my Housing Association property since 2011 which I rent through my LA. I have been receiving letters from British Gas addressed to "The Occupier" saying that money is owed for gas supply to the property. I have called them on several occasions informing them that I do not have a gas supply to my property, I only have an electric cooker and the heating is included in the rent. Despite me calling them several times to let them know this, I am still receiving letters addressed to "The Occupier" saying that £301 is owed.

I have just come to know about the 26p standing charge for just having a meter, when I called them this evening and I even had to force this information out of them as I am not the registered occupier (according to them) I had no idea about this and it was not made known to me when I took on the tenancy nor when I have called BG, I have always been told it was for gas supply to the property.

My main concern is that they have sent a letter saying that they have a warrant to gain access to my property, they will change the locks and I will have to contact them for access.

I just want to know if they can do this, do I need to prepare myself and take the day off work. I have not seen any warrant. Will they send this to me?

Edited by mollymop

If they are simply addressed to "the occupier" they can be ignored and filed in the circular file otherwise known as the bin.

There is a statute which allows them to do that yes.

Last time i checked it was the Rights of Entry act (gas and electricity) 1954.

It may have been updated since then but it is legal for them to effect entry although they do need a warrant

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

If you don't have a gas supply, then I fail to see why they are persecuting you like this.

I think you need to cease telephoning them and write a formal complaint to the CEO at their Head/Registered office. You need to head your letter "Formal Complaint"

Point out to them that you do NOT have a gas supply and that your electricity is supplied by XYZ. That if they continue to harass you in this way you will escalate your complaint to the Ombudsman.

Send the letter by a tracked method if you can afford it. If not, then do at least obtain a free proof of posting from the Post office counter.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Seriously?? Someone can break into my property whilst I'm at work without me seeing the warrant or me knowing about this standing charge until this evening. I was never informed when I signed my tenancy that I would have to pay this standing charge and I have never entered into any agreement with BG.

Thank you for the advice citizenB and Martin

Apparently it is for a 26p a day (for the last 5 years) standing charge for merely having the meter, sending out bills and having someone come and read a meter that has not been used since May 2011 when I moved in. It's not even inside my flat so why they need to threaten me with a warrant to gain access is beyond me. I have done all the right things and don't even have the energy anymore.

I give up! I thought TV Licensing were bad but if BG can just gain access like that, they are obviously more powerful than I thought.

I will ask others with more knowledge to look in on you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

you don't get to see or know about the warrant.

however as you state the meter is not in your property

you should inform the CEO of this in your complaint.

its also rather telling that they have NOT sent quarterly bills in the last xx yrs?

if so, even if you did owe them money

they can only back bill 12mts.

you need to point that out too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

British Gas

Mr Mark Hodges Managing Director

Email [email protected]

Telephone 01753 494343 (Direct)

Switchboard 01753 494000

Website http://www.britishgas.co.uk

Social Media T F

Postal Address Millstream, Maidenhead Road, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 5GDM

Company Number 06723244C

Company Status Active (Established 14/10/2008)

See also Customer Services

Companies House data

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Thank you all for your advice.

The warrant is 4th January 2016.

They have sent bills but I had no idea that these were just for a daily 26p a day standing charge (that I understand came into effect 2013) as the bill did not state this and when I called, they said it was for gas being supplied. If I had known about this charge I would have had the meter cut off in 2013 or when I moved in. I honestly had no idea and I will not be duped into paying this when I should have been informed in advance that there would be extra costs on top of my rent.

So where exactly is the meter?

Do you live in a communally heated block of flats?

Or is the meter solely for your property?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.