Awaiting refund from npower ... 6 months later

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have a prepayment meter with NPower. We got a statement on showing the account was in credit, we called early January to ask for a refund. The lady advised would take 28 days to refund. Nothing arrived. Called back to be told we would be put through to the complaints department seeing as our initial complaint could not be dealt with. We were advised that there was no timescale procedure and it would just take as long as needed to see why our prepayment meter had managed to produce a credit balance. We received a few letters saying they were looking into it.

On 16th April we got the 8 week letter from npower saying we has the right to contact the Ombudsman.

On the 6th May I spoke to someone again at npower and he escalated our complaint to the highest level 3.

I was assured I would be kept updated with progress by telephone. I was advised the meter had slipped into the wrong tarriff which is why a credit balance had resulted. No phone calls received just back to the same standard letter that I have several of saying they are looking into it.

Next phone call made on the 1st June to the executive complaints department, to be told we were now due £677 and it had been passed to the high value refunds team to authorise, she told me passed on the 21st May and they had 14 days to deal with it so someone will call me by the 5th June at the latest.

No call came, so I called. Got told it now takes 28 days for high value refunds team to authorise, so it's worrying that someone in an executive complaints department doesn't know processing times. I got told to call back in 7 days. Called 12th June and guess what? Yes it's still not been authorised.

I have contacted the Ombudsman who say they will look into it.

I am at the moment in financial hardship due to a family member being ill and this money would make a huge difference.

Would npower be willing to wait 6 months for me to pay them? No! So why should I wait 6 months on them to pay me back MY money.

HELP!!!!

Edited by gstir

You can add on 8% statutory interest starting from the first day the money was due.

I suggest you do that and send them a letter giving them a date to refund or you will issue a court summons without further notice. Don't phone, it is a waste of time, they just fob you off all the time.

Send your letter recorded so they can't say they didn't get it.

You could, of course, tell all that to the big boss at the email fkofilee has just given you. Make sure you claim your interest.

Edited by Conniff

FURTHER UPDATE FROM THIS AFTERNOON.... I have to spoken with NPower ombudsman who advises that she is very sorry but there has been a big mix up and my account has never been in credit. So how come I've been told from three separate people on the executive complaints team that I am due money, even gave me figures and said it had been passed to the high value team to be authorised. She said that the tariffs after investigation have never been mixed up, so how come on the 6th May a gentleman gave me dates that the tarriff had went onto the wrong rates?? Does anyone actually know what they are doing in this company? I actually came off the phone in tears through frustration. Any advice very very welcome, thanks.

Welcome to the forum. Another npower victim.

Npower is a complete mess. Not only that there are obstructive and unfair.

They don't deserve to have customers and they are simply lucky to have a weak limp wristed regulator.

You will have to start by sending npower an SAR. Do this straightaway because it takes 40 days for the information to come back – assuming that npower comply. We have found in the past that they don't necessarily comply and it takes a court action to move them.

Secondly, please read our customer services guide and implement the advice there. This is very important. Once you have got yourself ready, make further telephone calls to npower but this time make sure that all the calls are properly recorded so that you can start to accumulate evidence of what has really happened and all the stories which are being told to you. Don't just phone them once. A few times so that you can get good samples of the variety of stories and excuses that they will give you.

Your aim here will eventually to be to demonstrate – to a court if necessary – how npower have mismanaged your account and also that they have unlawfully withheld your money. If it turns out that they do not owe you money, then you will have to consider bringing a claim against for the mismanagement of your account.

There is already one case going on about this issue and amazingly npower have suggested in the litigation documents that they don't know any duties to conduct customer contracts with care and skill or to provide accurate billing.

Thirdly, write to your MP. Try to keep the letter to a single A4 size because MPs are very busy. Explain to your MP as briefly as possible what npower has been doing and what they have said to you and especially the hardship that it is placing you in because you have limited means. Remind your member of Parliament that npower have already been subject to criticism in the House of Commons last year and they have already been fined for their improper billing and mismanagement of customer accounts.

Ask your MP if you be kind enough to take it up both with npower but particularly with ofgem.

So that is three things you have to do: –

SAR,

telephone calls,

MP

Keep this updated as to what you're doing and the progress you are making and when you get some solid information and start to understand what the true picture is then we can start to advise you as to the appropriate course of action.

I know that it is frustrating to continue waiting, but preparation is everything and hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

An ombudsman working for NPower.

Please can you tell us more about this ombudsman who is apparently working for npower?

Who are they, where are they and who put you in contact with them?

There must be some error surely because npower does not have anybody like this working for them. Apart from anything else an ombudsman is meant to be impartial and if they were working for npower this would not be possible.

Ah, you need to talk to the Financial Ombudsman before you give in - http://financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

Sorry, but I don't think this is correct. The financial ombudsman does not regulate the energy industry. The energy industry is regulated by the energy ombudsman which is altogether different

Please can you tell us more about this ombudsman who is apparently working for npower?

Who are they, where are they and who put you in contact with them?

Yes after 8 weeks npower sent me a letter saying I could report to the energy ombudsman which I did on the 1st June, but I have only had an email from them so far saying they have started investigations. Now because I reported it when I phone npower executive complaints they put me through to their npower ombudsman, that's twice when I've phoned they have said that.

I did think that was a bit odd but seeing as I don't know how it all works I didn't question it. I'm sure they gave me a phone number, I will investigate!!!

Okay, the number npower gave me for their ombudsman is 0330 100 8614 ext 1197334.

I have just Googled that number and it's coming up npower executive complaints. Is this more lies?? I think I'll have to call that number tomorrow morning and ask what's going on??

Just about to call this number again and confirm information they have given me regarding npower ombudsman. Can someone keep me right in the main things I should be asking, unfortunately I don't have anything I can record conversation.

Sorry, but it is essential that you record your conversations dealing with npower – and also with any other company.

I suggest that you don't call them but spend the next day or two trying somehow other to get a recording device sorted out.

You can imagine how important it is if you want to get your account problems with npower sorted out once and for all.

Once again, please read the customer services guidelines that we have prepared for you. It is all very serious stuff.

Also, you have said that you are in hardship at the moment.

You will probably end up having to sue npower for your money. If you have very limited disposable income then you may be eligible for a waiver of court fees.

You will need to visit your local County Court in order to find out about it and to make the necessary applications. Let me warn you that it doesn't seem to be a very quick process. It can take six weeks or more to get the necessary approval.

However, once this happens, you will be able to issue a small claim and also pay any of the other allocation and hearing expenses necessary free of charge relying on your fees waiver.

Visit your local County Court and find out about it. Do this now as part of your preparation. Also, start reading up about small claims in the County Court from the material that we have on this website.

However, the most important thing you need to do instantly is to start recording your calls and implementing our customer services guide.

Thank you BankFodder for all your very helpful information. I have just managed to get a voice recorder app on my phone, which I have tested and seems to work fine.

Well done. Is your telephone an android phone?

You need to tried our very carefully – practice uploading the files to a computer and then listen to it on the computer.

Can you hear both sides of the conversation? And can you hear both sides of the conversation equally?

You must make sure that he is all clear and of satisfactory quality.

Also make sure that you can practice saving the files – and make sure you are able as I've already suggested to upload them to a computer or to email them to yourself so that you have got more than one copy in different places.

As for what to ask npower, you need to get them to confirm that they do owe you money, how long they have only to, what is the outstanding sum in respect of, when are they going to repay it to you.

Ask them to look at your screen notes and asked them can they see that you have been on the telephone to them before and that they have already made promises to repay you. Asked them why have the promises not be kept and what is the reason for the delay.

Tell them that the last time you found, they told you that it was being dealt with by the npower ombudsman. Ask them if it is still with the npower ombudsman, who is that person, do they work at their office in Swindon or in Hull? How long will it be with the npower ombudsman?.

At the end of course following our customer services guide, you want to try and get them to enter everything that they have said on their own screen note so it is therefore future reference.

As soon as you have finished the conversation, make sure that you have saved the file recording and that you then immediately send it or copy it to another computer so that you have got at least two copies.

Then come here and tell us what has happened. Do not put the file up on the forum. You are not allowed to publicise it. However, if it contains interesting content, we may ask you to let us have a copy of it so that we can listen and give you some direct advice about it.

Is it at all possible npower could reset my meter and not tell me. In 3 of the phone calls we had to run through all the meter readings. But I've noticed in the last 2 weeks that what I put in the meter seems to be lasting longer? Just a thought as maybe if they do that it could wipe out my credit balance?

Double check that app picks-up the voice of the person you are calling too.

Some devices/apps are really crap at doing that.

You don't want to end up with a recording of just you talking.

Is it at all possible npower could reset my meter and not tell me. In 3 of the phone calls we had to run through all the meter readings. But I've noticed in the last 2 weeks that what I put in the meter seems to be lasting longer? Just a thought as maybe if they do that it could wipe out my credit balance?

Ask them on the telephone and see what they say.

I don't know if it's possible

It may look like it is lasting longer because anything you are heating will take less time to reach the required temperature. This is beause the weather is warmer, so any water you are heating is less cold, so takes less time to heat up, so less power usage.

If you don't owe anything, is It not possible to have a normal meter fitted. Some companies charge a higher rate for prepayment meters. Once you have resolved, switch to another company,.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 4 weeks later...

Okay just an update, I have received a letter from Npower stating their 'Ombudsman Team'address and phone numbers and in the first paragraph it states as follows -

"We have received notification from the ombudsman services: Energy confirming their final decision regarding your complaint. As a member of the ombudsman team at npower, this falls within my area of responsibility".

So it looks as though they were right enough telling me about their ombudsman team when I've been phoning.

What your thoughts on this as I only ever thought there was one ombudsman.

Please can you post the letter up for us to see after having removed any identifiers.

Have you sent the SAR?

Have you been on the phone to them and recorded calls?

Categorically - they do not have an Ombudsman working for them.

I'm wondering if they are using the term "Npower Ombudsman Team" to deliberately confuse / mislead customers into thinking they are in fact the ombudsman? (Incidentally it would probably be less confusing to call it an Ombudsman Liason Team)

In your first post, you mentioned you made a complaint to the ombudsman. Did you put a complaint in directly to Ombudsman Services: Energy (http://www.ombudsman-services.org/energy.html) or was it via Npower themselves?

If the former, the Ombudsman should have replied to you directly.

Its three years now since my 1 year highly regretted 1 year stint with npower, and they are clearly getting worse not better.

Near the end of the first year, I was near £200 in credit and they sent me a letter saying they were increasing the DD (significantly).

Rang them to be given an astonishing level of crap

It automated systems and they can't do anything about it

The system calculates it and must be right

etc etc

So I told them they were NOT authorised to increase the DD and I would be leaving the company. (confirmed this via email and online form)

True to my word I set up the move to EDF, carefully ensuring that the move would not occur before the 1 year was up given the barely veiled threats from npower of penalties etc if I should leave before 1 year was completed.

... but before the account move could be completed, npower increased the DD and took it.

So after final readings etc taken, and charged I was well over £200 in credit, and requested this refunded

To cut a long and frustrating 3 months down, despite

threats to recharge the last DD - npower said they would recharge it again and start recovery proceedings if blocked (despite it being only part of an outstanding + balance)

Numerous calls which were fobbed off and promises made which were not kept

I sent a LBA saying I intended to start court proceedings to recover my money and costs, and that the court result would be used to progress a complaint with the regulators and my MP after my money was recovered.

Within a week I received a cheque for £280 + £25 as a 'good will' gesture.

You're on to a hiding for nothing with these **** at least until you formally notify of intent to start court action. Seems even that doesn't affect them much now.

Bunch of tossers unfit to be in business. It really isn't just the call center staff from my experience, the management are even worse.

addendum

I got the distinct impression that balance refunds are NOT given automatically by npower, so unless you chase any large (if still with them - sucker) or outstanding +balance (once you escape), you wont get it at all.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Yes I had contacted the main ombudsman and they called me back after investigating with npower and said they had made a massive mistake, but apparently I wasn't due any refund. The lady advised npower should make a written apology. I asked for financial compensation and she said she would try for £75. Ombudsman sent me a copy of the email to npower requesting this. Npower have sent me a letter dated 10th July with apology and saying a cheque has been sent, although as I type this its still not arrived in the post. Okay how do I post up a copy of this letter.

I must admit I have let my anger with npower slip a bit as my Mum is currently in hospital following brain surgery and will remain there for some time, I have a 60 mile round trip each day to visit and have been doing this for the past 3 weeks.