Do I have a valid claim. Faulty Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 from Curry's in store. The tablet went faulty after 10 months.

I attempted to return it under SOGA, and they wanted to send it off under warranty to Samsung. They said it would take 3 weeks.

I asked to exercise my right under SOGA. Since the battery was faulty a reasonable length of time for repair should only be 7 days at most. And 3 weeks causes significant inconvenience to myself.

I complained to their customer services, but they are adamant to send it off under warranty. I pointed out the law and where they are in breach of the sales contract.

Do I have a valid claim for a small claims court for them not being able to repair in a reasonable time and causing significant inconvenience to the buyer. I am a Physics student and currently helping my brother create a website for his start up company.

I just wanted some impartial advice. Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

typically upto 28 days is considered reasonable.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Battery issues are known issues with samsung tabs, but the length of time makes it problematic.

A number are detailed on various android forums.

Sometimes they appear dead, but aren't. Plugging in the samsung power supply and pressing the start button while holding the up volume will cause the charging icon to appear and then it will start on a second press of the power button after a few seconds.

Using boost chargers will cause issues with any battery.

Allowing batteries to go dead, or leaving them on charge for long periods will also cause issues as they do with laptops.

What is the precise nature of the problem?

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

As dx said, up to 28 days is generally considered reasonable. It's not written in stone, but it's what's become the standard. Currys are offering to have the tablet repaired within that time, so they are fully complying with their obligations under the SOGA. Your accusations that they aren't and that they're in breach of contract wont get you anywhere and is only going to get peoples backs up unnecessarily.

There's a good chance you'll have it back in less time if it really is just swapping out a battery, but up to 3 weeks will be the time quoted to cover themselves incase it does take longer than just a few days.

Thank you guys for your input. As per your advice I shall return the tablet and accept Curry's offer to repair it within 28 days.

Thanks again.

ok, previously there was a direct number for samsung that store had to ring, go thru troubleshooting and then wait for the delivery of the packaging,

then someone from the store had to physically take time to go drop the unit down at a post office.

samsung couldnt even be bothered to send a courier to store.

this has recently changed.

it still cant be booked via eclipse on the till, but there is a new number within the 'compass' system, and they will arrange courier,

you will be given a pickup and drop off date. within approx 10 samsung working days if not less.

(bear in mind sat/sun are not working days for samsung but they are for the store)

be aware that samsungs policy is to erase all data on the tablet for security/privacy reasons.

and only include the tablet and the original charger and usb cable.

any memory card or non genuine samsung usb or charger will be disposed of and not returned.

as has been mentioned tho, try holding the power button for approx 20-30 seconds, then plug in the charger,

then switch the charger on at the wall and see if it starts charging.

ok, previously there was a direct number for samsung that store had to ring, go thru troubleshooting and then wait for the delivery of the packaging,

then someone from the store had to physically take time to go drop the unit down at a post office.

this has recently changed.

it still cant be booked via eclipse on the till, but there is a new number within the 'compass' system, and they will arrange courier,

you will be given a pickup and drop off date. within approx 10 samsung working days if not less.

(bear in mind sat/sun are not working days for samsung but they are for the store)

That will be the arrangement your company has agreed with Samsung, arguably broadly ignoring customer rights, quite possibly as Samsung don't want (to pay) your company to handle the repairs and pay for what I have seen to be shockingly bad service.

as has been mentioned tho, try holding the power button for approx 20-30 seconds, then plug in the charger,

then switch the charger on at the wall and see if it starts charging.

That is different and far less effective than the method I described, which changes how the tablet boots. You have to press and hold power + the vol up while powering on with the external power connected. It works mainly with android devices.

Be aware that you COULD end up in a recovery screen - just let it charge for a while and select restart with making any changes, or power off with the power button.

That laptop style hold the power button on with no power to 'clear memory' or 'clear sleep mode' is different.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

That will be the arrangement your company has agreed with Samsung, arguably broadly ignoring customer rights

Sorry but this is complete rubbish.

So long as the store are making the arrangements then how are they ignoring customer rights?

If Currys process is to send the tablet to Samsung then that's the process.

As long as they're the ones doing it and not asking the customer to post it off themselves,

then they are completely fulfilling their obligations and are not ignoring any rights the customer has.

Sorry but this is complete rubbish.

So long as the store are making the arrangements then how are they ignoring customer rights?

If Currys process is to send the tablet to Samsung then that's the process.

As long as they're the ones doing it and not asking the customer to post it off themselves,

then they are completely fulfilling their obligations and are not ignoring any rights the customer has.

Read the bits above where it says the practice was that the customer had to ring Samsung and wait for packaging. The consumer laws have not changed, although arrow there says Dixons group is operating diferently now.

They weren't and aren't:

Google for where this is still happening even with items which are days old.

The Tory Legacy

Or you could post links to back up your claims?

Google isnt hard to use, and if it is for you:

you can read some on this site with small effort,

You can even read on this page where a dixons group employee says they have only just changed it

and you can read his other posts where he recently described the other process that he 'had' to use (as I said - the laws haven't changed recently).

Just click on his posts.

The Tory Legacy

Read the bits above where it says the practice was that the customer had to ring Samsung and wait for packaging. The consumer laws have not changed, although arrow there says Dixons group is operating diferently now.

They weren't and aren't:

how about you read the bit where i said

"ok, previously there was a direct number for samsung that store had to ring, go thru troubleshooting and then wait for the delivery of the packaging,

this has recently changed"

the practice with samsung tablets was for the store to book it in, ring samsung as we have a specific merchant account with then for each of our stores. we had to go thru troubleshooting and wait for a jiffy bag to be sent out etc etc.

i never stated it was down to the customer to do it, tho the process is actually the same regardless.

this has now changed and its still a phone call made but now samsung will send a courrier and guarantee a pickup and drop off date.

this was changed around 6-8 weeks ago.

the company, while i work for them i cant change the process that they agree with each manufacturer.

they are attempting this financial year to do away with all 3rd party repairs and have it all routed via their centre at newark.

sony, microsoft, google,samsung, asus, canon, brother, epson, hp printers and tablets, lg all carry out their own repairs at their designated repair centres. if the item is within 21 days of purchase, its exchanged or refunded.

it an item is out of that, we have to obey the process set in place by the agreement between dixons and the manufacturer.

in fact, sony for ps4 and microsoft for xbox won't even talk to anyone in the store i

unless the customer is present and prefer to do troubleshooting on the item over the phone from the customers house before they will agree to collect and repair.

i cant change this, if dixons want to sell their products, this is what they have to agree to do.

some of you guys on here are so harsh. please try to remember that we're humans too, we just work for the company.

if you wanna complain, go higher than store management!

the company, while i work for them i cant change the process that they agree with each manufacturer.

they are attempting this financial year to do away with all 3rd party repairs and have it all routed via their centre at newark.

Absolutely and I think posts by staff like you do much to negate the mindless poor service too many people receive by the company as a whole, although customers may end up hating you for that raised expectation when they end up getting someone else. :/

I really would not want anything of mine going to the Newark Ranch.

oops did I leave a B off there (B)Ranch?

Edited by tobyjugg2
did i leave a B off there?

The Tory Legacy

They weren't and aren't:

He never said the customer had to ring Samsung, but that the store did. So no, customer rights weren't being infringed at all.

I used to work for PC World as an in-store technician and the processes for PC's/Laptops gave the customer a choice. Either they could bring the item to store, we book it in, call up the main repair centre, have it repaired in-store for a desktop or sent to the main repair centre for a laptop, then we call the customer, they have to come back to store and collect the item then take it back home.

Alternatively, we could provide the number for them to call the repair centre and book the repair themselves, allowing them to have either an in-home repair on a desktop, or a doorstep collection/delivery for a laptop. The reason for this was that it was simply more convenient for the customer. It saves them at least one additional trip to store, and they don't have to carry potentially expensive/fragile goods through a crowded shopping park/town centre.

It was a similar case for many other products such as tablets when I was there, though I am going back over 5 years now.

He never said the customer had to ring Samsung, but that the store did. So no, customer rights weren't being infringed at all.

Read his other posts.

The Tory Legacy

I used to work for PC World as an in-store technician and the processes for PC's/Laptops gave the customer a choice. Either they could bring the item to store, we book it in, call up the main repair centre, have it repaired in-store for a desktop or sent to the main repair centre for a laptop, then we call the customer, they have to come back to store and collect the item then take it back home.

Alternatively, we could provide the number for them to call the repair centre and book the repair themselves, allowing them to have either an in-home repair on a desktop, or a doorstep collection/delivery for a laptop. The reason for this was that it was simply more convenient for the customer. It saves them at least one additional trip to store, and they don't have to carry potentially expensive/fragile goods through a crowded shopping park/town centre.

It was a similar case for many other products such as tablets when I was there, though I am going back over 5 years now.

yeah theres no in home repairs on computers now as it was apparently costing too much to insure the guys to work in customers homes and things like disk scans can take hours. they introduced remote access a few years ago as part of the cover but i dunno how many people take it up.

people just dont seem to like making phone calls and like dealing face to face.

which is absolutely their right to do.

just had a right pain with microsoft today trying to book a surface 3 pro.

is the customer present? no, well call back when they are or get them to call back, we need to ask them security questions.

now customer is seriously unhappy they have to come back and either stand around instore and wait while i get thru to MS, or collect the item again, take it home and spend their own time ringing.

its such a pain and they dont even repair the surface, they swop it out!!!

its highly frustrating.