style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It should be mentioned that no one gets locked up for not being able to pay the bill, people get committed for willful none payment, this is why the various acts and CPR stress willfully disobeying an order of the court, contempt.

Also it should be said that courts do not coerce payment out of debtors. Taxes are lawfully due and most accept that we should pay them, in the same manner as we should pay for anything else. Some think that paying for something which is owed is coercion, it is not. The fact that they think this may give an indication of the kind of attitude they have towards paying there way in the world.

The court system provides a deterrent for those who do not abide by the law of the land.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

You implied that is what YOU can do you can not end of.. Or the Magistrates could revoke the entire debt or some of it did you put that down NO.. BYE

No, i forgot to add a link. As simple as that.

Yes, but the debtor MUST be in contact for the courts to entertain that idea. Should the OP not contact the LA/EA/MAGI then it could get a lot worse. There are lots of things the courts COULD do. I have given worst case advice and you guys are giving best case advice, which is good.

Why won't prison happen? What's your reasoning behind that statement? Is the op safe to ignore this matter then?

You need to read back through at what has been posted

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

This goes to reinforce what has been said by most. Only 2 out of the 10 concerned Council Tax, one for neglecting to pay over a 5 year period, the other over a 3 year period; neither of these received custodial sentences, they were ordered to pay pay at the rates of £10 per week and £50 per week.

If you read here eventually after 90 yes 90 attempts to try to get a debtor to pay they finally did send them down see here

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-woman-jailed-paying-council-tax/story-26339790-detail/story.html

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

It seems that some individuals have taken this section of MM post to prove what i said about individual debtors not being coerced to be incorrect, as usual they are wrong, the section says this" This is considered to be a coercive measure, designed to elicit the funds, rather than a punitive measure for not paying".

I understand this may be wasting my breath(see avatar).

But this section confirms what i was saying earlier about no one being punished or committed for being in debt, it says the sanction is not punitive it is coercive. It does not say that the debtor is coerced into payment, entirely different thing although I fully understand others inability to understand the difference.

It is all abut context, if anyone is really interested I will dig up the original post where this was mentioned and we can examine the word in more detail , since it seems to be so important apparently.

Sorry I hadn't addressed this earlier but TBH only just noticed the mindless abuse elsewhere.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

The following from the .gov site

If you still don’t pay

Your council can get your employer to pay your unpaid Council Tax directly from your wages.

Your council can also apply to take money from the following benefits:

• Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit

If this means you don’t have enough money to pay other bills, you can ask your council if you can make smaller payments. Your council doesn’t have to agree but will usually try to make an arrangement with you.

Not only do the Council try to help by taking the money from your benefits, if it leaves you SHORT they MAY even reduce that amount. So even when they are taking money direct from you they STILL CAN HELP.

How much more help can be offered before it is seen you are wilfully refusing to pay? After this then maybe a committal order is issued but again this can see the bench reducing the amount to pay. So in reality being sent to prison really is a LAST resort yes?

Top quote from here https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-arrears

Not only that spending time in Jail means it was for nothing the amount due is still due and collectable I believe see here

http://www.burnley.gov.uk/business/business-rates/business-rate-arrears/committal-prison-non-payment-business-rates

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

yes all good reasons for the debt to be addressed at a far earlier stage