DWP old debt and bankruptcy

eddiemc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not posted for a while and I know the DWP has been done before but my question is on a very old debt (1998) for £493.00

can they still demand repayment even though I went bankrupt on 2006?

They say unless they were specifically named on the bankruptcy petition they can still come after me. I say they can't.

Who is correct?

Cheers

Overpayments by the DWP are not treated the same as a credit card or bank debt.

An overpayment means you had money from the Government that you were not entitled to and they will not let it go.

As with all Government/Taxpayers money,

they do not write it off even if you were declared bankrupt it would not have been included in the BR.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

great I've got that linked now ta.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Was reading about this the other day.

Think they changed the law recently so that crisis loans or social fund loans were excluded from bankruptcy.

Actual benefit and tax credit overpayments are still covered, but DWP or HMRC staff still tell you complete rubbish unless you force the truth on them.

Council Tax

All council tax debts from previous years are included in bankruptcy, whether or not the council has issued a summons for them.

n.b. if you are living with someone else who is liable to pay council tax (eg not a child or a student)

then you are probably jointly liable for the council tax, so the council will seek to recover the whole amount from your partner.

There was a court decision in December 2013 which implies that all council tax for the current year should be included in bankruptcy.

As a result, the Insolvency Service has amended its Technical Manual to say:

All outstanding liabilities (that is, all arrears and future instalment payments) for council tax for the year in which the insolvency commences

are provable debts [note 42] [note 43]. This applies whether or not the company/bankrupt was in arrears at the date of insolvency.”

As with income tax, if your liability to pay council tax stops for the rest of the tax year,

you are likely to have to pay a higher IPA as a result for the remainder of the tax year.

and they

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I have just received another letter from DWP stating

" As I mentioned in my previous letter we have received no evidence of proof from you that the two overpayments of income support and jobseekers allowance had been included in an insolvency order. Without this specific evidence we have no grounds to consider suspending our recovery action. Could you therefore ask your insolvency practitioner for further advice and forward any evidence to us to enable us to take this issue further"

Any suggestions of how I get them to understand? And please bear in mind this debt is also disputed by me.

Cheers

as they say you need to prove the evidence

dx

and they

as they say you need to prove the evidence

dx

It was not on the bankruptcy petition as I understand it does not need to be as bankruptcy discharges all debts, this was mentioned in this thread.

Re: DWP old debt and bankruptcy

DWP overpayments from then are written off in bankruptcy unless due to fraud.

http://www.hbnotes.co.uk/Portals/3/u1-2012.pdf

doesnt have to be on the petition as is a bankruptcy debt no matter what

and you referred them to this document?

dx

and they

The bankruptcy covers all debt whether on the petition or not.

Dear numnuts@dwp

This is a bankruptcy debt as defined under s382 of the Insolvency Act 1986. It is not required that a bankruptcy debt is named on the original petition or subsequent paperwork for it to be a bankruptcy debt and fall into, and be written off by, the proceedings.

Your claim that you require such paperwork is therefore misleading and legally incorrect.

It is not conceivable that your legal department is unaware of such provisions, so I can only assume this is a deliberate attempt to recover funds that are no longer owed by deceptive means.

Regards

I did indeed but they ignored me.

DWP normally need several goes and quite a bit of metaphorical bashing on the head before someone with intelligence greater than a smelly sock actually looks at these things.

You need to persevere and not let them grind you down. In the end they will be forced to accept it.

Could they not be referred to the administrator of your BR ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D