Can I go on holiday whilst on Sick Leave???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im on sick booked my hols over 10 mths ago started with sciatica 3weeks ago my employer is unhappy with me,my sick note runs out halfway through my hols but my doctor told me the sun might do me good and to go back to him if needs be when i get back i have a really heavy job which as not helped,but i have been told to rest can my employer sack me for going on hol whilst sick

If the holiday was properly booked then the employer can't do anything about it - they would have to have given proper notice to cancel your holiday.

If asked to explain how you were OK to take holiday but had been off sick then (besides telling them to mind their own business), simply say that your GP advised you to rest and considered that warm air and sunshine would help your condition - and that you were not lifting or taking strenuous exercise so this would not have inflamed the condition which caused you to be absent

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

General advice is to get a line from the GP saying it will aid your recovery, then check with your boss.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

working time regulations cover this. Basically you can take the holiday booked without causing any problems, even if your sick note covers part of that time.Theoretically, the time you are away covered by sick note is not holiday and you can claim the extra days a/l when you are not ill. I wouldnt recommend it but it is OK to do so.

It would be impossible to take any action for going 'on holiday' in itself as you are unfit to work not on a prison sentence and what would define a holiday rather than a trip to be cared for by a relative for example. The only problem would be if the content of the 'holiday' contradicted your sick note. For example if you were off with a bad back and you went rock climbing in the Alps and plasted the photos all over Facebook then they may have a reason to investigate but if you are lets say off with depression and decide to stay in a Villa in Spain for a week there is little they can do. If you have a sick certificate from your doctor you should be able to cancel the leave you booked and just remain sick.