• Tweets

• Thank you. The receiver issue is a rabbit hole I don't think I'm going to enjoy going down. These people seem so protected. And I don't understand how or why?  Fair market value seems to be ever shifting and contentious.
    • You can't, but you can (and really should) bring up the point that the lender isn't meeting their legal obligations in selling the property for fair market value. You'll have to do this in court, though.     A receiver is bought in by the lender, not you. If they're a registered insolvency practitioner, you may be able to raise a complaint to the insolvency service but there are no guarantees here. Many receivers are also registered with the RICS and self-regulate so if you know the name of the receiver you can check there, again no guarantees.   https://www.rics.org/surveyor-careers/career-development/accreditations/registered-property-receivership-scheme
    • China green-lights mass production of autonomous flying taxis — with commercial flights set for 2025 | Live Science WWW.LIVESCIENCE.COM The EHang EH216-S autonomous flying taxi is the first eVTOL ready for mass production and could lead the way for flying cars around...  
    • Lolerz - I don't understand you.  Rebuked you?   No. I simply replied to your orange comments with legal facts as I know them.  I've already worked through the s42 and s146 issues - over the last 3-4y - and these issues are (mostly) resolved legally.  In terms of posting evidence.  Sure I can post some.  But my most recent questions have been a) how can I enforce a sale before trial?  And b) how can I make a complaint and/or a claim v receiver? (E.g. to which body do I complain?).  At the mo I'm asking for some helpful pointers on those specific questions??  I'm not asking for help with how to prove or present evidence. Fwiw - all evidence for trial has been disclosed (although additions are poss). The lender sent me like 10,000 emails and docs.  There's also 000s of emails, docs, photos, videos, recordings and texts that relate to freeholders/ me.   I read, filed and categorised everything for ease of future reference.  Witness statements and evidence were prepared for trial in the 42 and 146 matters. (now joined with current claim to save duplication).  I've lived the process before.  My current statement and linked evidence has taken like 6 months to draft/ write - to ensure I can succinctly prove my defence and counterclaim points.   Whether I can convince a judge at trial w/o lawyer / barrister is debatable 🙄   But I've prepared.  And continue to try better prepare - which is why I visit this site (and clinics).  This is NOT my business or expertise at all.  I'm just trying.  Not that anyone should ever have to justify why they need help if they ask politely! 
    • Thanks for the other info will also take a look at that.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Claimform Carter/Lowells Old Cap1 Card 'debt'***Claim Dismissed***

sharkie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had letters from Lowell chasing an old Capital One account for quite a few years which I have always ignored.

I have had many threats of legal action from various associated companies of Lowell which I have also ignored,

however on Saturday (28th June) I received a claimform prepared by Bryan Carter Solicitors on behalf of Lowell Portfolio Ltd.

They are stating the debt was assigned / purchased on October 2009,

and they are after the original claimed amount (by Capital One) plus interest dating back to October 2009.

Could do with some help on this one.

Sharkie

Good ole Bryan still trying to line his pockets with ill gotten gains...

Is it an actual summons with a court stamp, and no doubt it will be the Northampton Bulk County Court stamp too?

When was the actual date you last paid or acknowledged this debt?

When did you take it out, pre or post '07?

You have some time yet before you need to acknowledge the claim, did he ever send you a letter before action (LBA)....

There is also the question of if there is PPI or any charges that have been added to the total figure as these can all be reclaimed.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for the reply.

Proper court summons, County Court Business Centre, through Northampton.

I put in a CCA request in March 2008

Had a look through my old letter file, although I haven’t dug out the letter from Lowell they must have written to me in October 2009 as I emailed, faxed and sent them the following letter.

Dear Sir/Madame – Lowell Financial Ltd and all associated companies.

I have just received an unlawful threatening letter from you dated 9th October 2009, received 14th October 2009, regarding a demand for payment on behalf of Capital One.

The account number referred to, is and has been in dispute with Capital One due to failures with both the Data Protection Act 1998, and the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

You will be aware that the transmission of data to others is an offence and the fact that you have contacted me will have to be reported to the appropriate authorities including the information commissioner.

My telephone numbers are private and are not in the public domain, therefore if you attempt to contact me by phone I will have to assume that the Capital One have passed the number to your company, and would therefore another clear breach of the Data Protection Act.

Please note, that any harassment by phone is also an offence and will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. Any such attempts to share my data without my consent will be met with further complaints to the Information Commissioners Office.

If it is your intention to arrange a "doorstep call", please remember that there is only an implied license under English Common Law for certain people to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.).

Please therefore take note that, I revoke license under English Common Law for you, and, or any associated company of yours, or your representatives, to visit me at my property and if you do so without my permission, you will then be liable to damages for a tort of trespass. You would also be conspiring in a trespass if you sent someone to visit me nevertheless.

For information;

Section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 demands that I be supplied with a true copy of any properly executed credit agreement that exists in relation to the account referred to. I may ask for this on demand providing that a fee of £1.00 is paid. This fee was sent with my original letter, dated 18th March 2008, which I have evidence was received by Capital One. Upon receipt of the original request the specified account legally entered into disputed status.

Whilst the dispute remains, they are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, they are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agencies (or any third party).

As you will know, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, a judge is not permitted to make any enforcement order unless the creditor can provide a true signed copy of the original credit agreement. This means if you insist that what Capital One have provided is such an agreement, then I am confident that any legal action would be successfully defended, and as such unless Capital One can produce such an agreement, this alleged debt is not enforceable in law.

Sharkie

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sharkie - do you know anything about the specific rules and timescales you need to comply with to defend a case? If not the experts here can help. But abide by those rules and timescales you must - or Bryan will get judgement by default and you lose. (No matter how good your case might have been).

Please follow the link in Dx's post above. That will get the experts started.

The good news for you is that BC do seem to back off once a solid defence is lodged.

Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd

RE: Lowell Financial Limited

Registered Office

Ellington House

9 Savannah Way

Leeds

LS10 1AB

Date of issue 25th June 2014 top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.

Date of issue XX + 19 days ( 5 day for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = XX + 14 days to submit defence = XX (33 days in total)

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim?

This claim is for 3252.19 the amount due under an agreement between the original creditor and the defendant to provide finance and / or services and / or goods.

This debt was assigned to / purchased by Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd on 05/10/2009 and notice served pursuant to the law of property act 1925

Particulars

Re: Capital One

A/C No XXXXXXXXXXXXX

And the Claimant Claims 3252.19

The claimant also claims interest pursuant to S69 county court act 1984 from 05/10/2009 to date at 8% per annum amounting to 818.77

What is the value of the claim?

Has the claimant included section 69 interestC:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif (8%)within the total claim or is it shown separate within the Particulars but not added to the debt?

Amount claimed 4070.96

Court fee 185.00

Solicitors fee 80.00

Total amount 4335.96

Is the claim for a current or credit/loan account or mobile phone account?

Old credit card account

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007?

Before 2007

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.

Assigned / Debt Purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?

I received a letter in October 2009 and replied

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ?

No – Occasionally Lowell would send a threatening letter.

Why did you cease payments:-

I have never made any payments to Lowell or acknowledged the debt with them

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?

They were unable to send me an agreement

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt managementC:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif plan?

No

Sharkie

Hi,

Ok, you need to acknowledge the claim online/post by 13th July. Online is easier and you can keep an eye on the claim.

Your defence, if you are going to defend will need to be in by 26th July.

Send a CCA request to Lowell tomorrow. You can send a cpr request for the NOA to Bryan Carter but you will more than likely get a template letter telling you to to refer to your own records.

Its pre-2007 which is better for you.

Take care.

just a tip

don't send nowt to cater

you'll just get a template response

sent the CCA & CPR to LOWELLS

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Issue date 25.06.2014 _ 5 days for service = 29.06.2014 + 14 days to acknowledge claim = 13.07.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 27.07.2014

You need to send CPR request for documents that are mentioned within the claim form

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387484-LEGAL-CPR-31.14-Request-Request-for-information-when-a-Claim-has-been-issued.

Looking at their claim, you are only going to be able to request..

The agreement

The notice of assignment

Statement of account showing how the amount they are claiming has acrued - to identify any default charges.

Was there any PPI on the account.

Was it in dispute at the time of assignment

Do you know if there are any penalty charges

Looks like they havent been sending you the statutory notices.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

So cr@pone knew it was disputed and still passed it to Bryan Bloody Carter to pursue? Tut tut!

When he got his grubby mits on it did you tell him that it was in dispute? http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387485-Letter-to-solicitors-threatening-legal-action-in-default-of-agreement-request-%28update-21.04.2014%29

If you had submitted a CCA request in '08 and they failed then IMO this is a very foolish claim brought on by uncle Bryan, he's never going to win.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Didn't get anything from Bryan Carter, just got the summons with his name on it.

Incredible, abuse of process?

• 2 weeks later...

Sent off CPR request to Lowell, received a letter back from Bryan Carter stating they will not send anything out.

Quote - It is the original creditors policy to issue agreements at the start of the contract and statements throughout the duration of the agreement and, in this regard, we ask you to refer to your own records.

Sharkie

usual template reply

dx

and they

you wait

but don't miss the 33 days defence filing date.

dx

and they

You will need to submit a defence by the due date.. which I think is 27th July. You still have a few days in hand so dont panic for the moment.

Once you have submitted a defence the next step, if they proceed, will that you are sent another form to complete. I think at that time you can submit that the claimant has taken action without providing documents that they are basing their claim on and I believe the court will order disclosure at some point.

I find it quite amusing that BC and Lowells moan about defendants using template defences, CPR requests, when pretty much everything that is churned out by them is a template !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

received email with documents and responded.

BCOBS

• 1 month later...
Well slight problem apparently Cap One / Lowell want to continue with the court action.

Standard for them they will probably send you a consent order hoping that you will give in

Next you can expect to receive the hearing date

Then 14 days before the hearing they should send their witness statement

Postup here for more assistance to help

I have a similar situation a few weeks in front of you

Onlymeagain

The next step is likely to be the Directions Questionnaire - with option to enter mediation. The hearing date will be a while off yet.

However, it could be that they will send a letter/Consent order suggesting that in order to save costs if you sign the order, then they will accept instalment payments. (However, they will include their costs to date in the order).

BCOBS