style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have red though several of the threads but still I need some clear advice.

Today I received a Removal Visit letter from Collectica in regards to a Unpaid Magistrates Fine, with the client name simply as HMCTS London NW.

Now I have no idea what this fine could be for since I don't drive, don't own a car, have a valid TV license and nothing outstanding as such.

Now I live on the South Coast so also confused as to the HMCTS London being involved.

The amount they are after is £984 sound exceptionally high for a court fine, but I may be wrong...

Now my real question is how do I discover the source of this fine so that I can resolve it. Or at least start the process of getting it resolved.

The letter from Collectica "states" that it is a final notice and that no further arrangements are acceptable.

I am stressed over this as I don't know what it relates to. But they have my name right (most get it wrong!) as well as the address.

If you can help point me in the right direction I will appreciate it.

Do you have a common name? Would be my first question...

No car, a TVL, never been issued a court fine, fined for incorrect train fare/ticket oyster card??

Sounds like crossed wires somewhere......

However, if it only states HMCTS London NW then I ''might'' be inclined to send them something along the lines of a 'prove it' letter? Not sure, ringing them is futile, unless you can record your calls?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

before a case gets to Court several letters at least will have been sent to you. if you have received none of them have you recently moved or is there another reason why you have not been receiving your mail.

There is a new Act out concerning the use of bailiffs and even Collectica have to abide by them. What they should have sent you is a Notice of Enforcement giving you 7 days to

contact them and resolve the matter to avoid them coming to your property. The Notice should also explain what the original offence was followed by a breakdown of how

the cost has escalated since and advising that if they come to you that will add another £235 on top of everything already.

Did you get that Notice from them?

You can either ring the Court in London [did you get a reference number?] to find out more information or speak to the bailff. At some point soon you will have to or be liable for a further clump of money . You obviously need to find out what you were originally accused of and why you weren't summoned to the Court hearing. You could also try seeing your credit report to see if you have any recent derogatory marks there.

Once you know what happened come back and we will give you the best advice of where to go from there-but time is of the essence as 7 days goes by pretty quickly. And bailiffs

will be out to see you for sure when that kind of money is on the table.

Could be a faulty trace, by collectica as in same name wrong debtor, as the others have stated you either contact the court, collectica, try the court first, and record the calls if you can.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I have an unusual name, so it pretty hard on that point.

I never received any such letter from them in regards Notice of Enforcement, or any sort of court summons or any other such letter or document.

I certainly have moved a few times over the last few years due to work.

I will be calling the courts to try and identify what this matter relates to and will post my results back.

Thanks again

Hi All,

Ok a quick update. Finally managed to speak to a human on the endless recorded messages.

It appears to be a fine for an oyster card from 2007 but to make things interesting, the fine was for £200, the court had a total of £570, but the bailiffs letter said that I owed £984

Certainly sounds like someone is adding a "little" extra on top...

Anyway they say they have placed a 28day hold on the enforcement, to give me time to get a statuary declaration in to my local magistrates court. Which I will do later this afternoon.

They also had a old address on their records, which is why I never received any documentation or notice...

So seems like I do the statuary declaration and give the bailiff a finger later...

If I am wrong please let me know.

Again thanks for your help

That is good news.

If you do the Stat Dec at the Magistrates Court there should be no charge. Once your SD is accepted then yes the bailiffs can go swivel.

Unfortunately bailiffs now by Law can charge humungous amounts for the job they do. In your case they found out that you no longer lived at the address where they sent the

original letter and their bailiff. Didn't stop them sending you another letter at your current address while adding on more fees.

To avoid a further visit I would strongly suggest that you make contact with the bailiff (via text message if you wish) to advise that you have contacted the court and that they advised that a summons had been sent to an address where you were no longer living and that you have therefore completed a Statutory Declaration.