LA refuses to refund deposit until proof of paid water bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been issued with a valid s21, the letting agent has now sent a follow up letter which states that any deposit will not be returned until I have proof I have paid the water bill up to date.

Obviously I will inform water company of reading on checkout day, (and of course pay when a bill is calculated) but I feel it is wrong for letting agent to withhold deposit until I provide proof bill is paid. This could take many weeks!

Is this standard?

It doesn't specify this in my tenancy, this is the first I've heard of it.

Of course I'll pay outstanding utilities, but I'm sure the water company won't send somebody to read my meter when I request, nor will they produce a bill immediately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Me_too

Firstly is your Deposit protected? https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection

Do you pay water rates separately to the utility provider?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi,

Thank you for prompt response.

Yes deposit is protected. I pay all bills (gas/elec/water) direct in my name to the utility companies.

My concern is that it could take weeks to receive a bill, and upon payment then weeks again for confirmation.

Thanks

I would think this is "normal", IMO

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I'm a bit naive here, please can you explain a little more why this is normal? Has something changed recently? This hasn't happened before.

Thanks

Hi

I know you say the deposit is protected have you actually confirmed this with the relevant tenancy deposit scheme?

If possible could you type just the clause only that refers to the water rates from your tenancy agreement here verbatim (minus any identifying details)?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If the bills are in your name, then it is absolutely nothing to do with the letting agent.

On the day you leave, apply yourself to the scheme that your deposit is protected in, and request a full return. Do it yourself as it is your money, and not the letting agents nor the LL's. Once you have submitted your request, the LL has a certain amount of time to dispute any damages etc, and proof of paying a bill in your name is not a reasonable reason to withhold deposit.

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

Do you pay for metered water or pay water rate monthly or half yearly?

IMO it is 'normal' LA practice to avoid future disputes once deposit returned.

Most utilities will provide a moving customer with a statement of account, usually within a few days of request.

Date of request is moving date and transfer accounts to LLs name from that date.

Metered Water bills contain 3 separate standing charges calculated on a daily rate, in addition to metered volume of water used.

If utility bills are in your name, LA is being officious, but you may want a good ref from them/LL for future rentals. Also LL expecting to pay a bill in Ts name is sufficient grounds to raise a dispute and delay payment of contested amount for several weeks, until resolved.