Problem with getting deposit back on flat - items missing from inventory

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 91 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my brother has been diagnosed with cancer and been in and out of hospital since August last year. The hospital were reluctant to let him home as he lived in a top floor flat .

His son managed to get him a down stairs flat so didn't renew his lease on his previous property.

He had been there 2 years and paid upfront for his rent so was never behind etc.

The letting agent are not releasing back his deposit as they are saying there is a shelf and egg holder missing from the integrated fridge along with a few marks on the wall due to my brother having a dart board.

We accept the marks but my brother never used the fridge as he had his own that he used.

The agency are saying the items were a specific size and not easily to get hold of, and want to charge him £115 for these parts !!! They are also saying the ice tray is missing but wont be charging for that (how nice). The parts have been replaced by them. Why my brother would of taken them if they would not fit anything else is beyond me.

Is there any thing else we can do or just swallow the extra charges?

How they justified the cost of the parts by showing you an invoice?

Hi,

On the checkin report, things they want to claim for should be listed or shown in photos.

Have you checked this?

What scheme is the deposit registered with? Is it DPS or another?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Hi, thanks for the replies.

BF no they just said that they got identical two prices and went ahead and brought them without seeing if we could get them or provide invoices.

They have supplied photos of the flat and parts that needed cleaning etc but not of the shelf etc just put items to be replaced at cost.

On the original inventory when my brother moved in there is just a list of the flat no photos of anything unlike when he moved out.

Bearing in mind that he had been in hospital for over 4 months and unable to do much for a few months earlier I think they are being very petty.

I don't know what deposit scheme was used I will try and find out.