son cut clamp off his car, my CTAX debt not his - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

While Mr Lloyd lost that case there is another case involving deliberate criminal damage where the decision went in favour of the person doing the damage. He deliberately knocked down a brick wall but the principles remain re the Criminal Damage Act 1971. The case was-CHAMBERLAIN C J applicant v . LINDON CE respondent [1998] EWHC Admin 329 (18th March, 1998)

Justice Sullivan pointed out that the Act provides-

"A person charged with an offence to which this section applies shall, whether or not he would be treated for the purposes of this Act as having a lawful excuse apart from this subsection, be treated for those purposes as having a lawful excuse -

(b) if he destroyed ... the property in question ... in order to protect property belonging to himself ... or a right or interest in property which was or which he believed to be vested in himself ... and at the time of the act or acts alleged to constitute the offence he believed -

(i) that the property, right or interest was in immediate need of protection; and

(ii) that the means of protection adopted or proposed to be adopted were or would be reasonable having regard to all of the circumstances.

(3) For the purposes of this section it is immaterial whether a belief is justified or not if it is honestly held."

So whoever removed the clamp from your son's car has very little to worry about.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very strange, wheelclamps go missing when gangs of scrap metal scavengers are in an area, the clamps are cut off and weighed in along with any stray cycles they can take :)

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Whilst i have just read and understand the points raised in relation to the judges comments and legalities, it is important to realise, that under the new regulations, NO case law from pre 6th April 2014 is relevant. Until test cases set a precedent the new regulations are based on how each individual (council/ bailiff/ public) understand them.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

Whilst i have just read and understand the points raised in relation to the judges comments and legalities, it is important to realise, that under the new regulations, NO case law from pre 6th April 2014 is relevant. Until test cases set a precedent the new regulations are based on how each individual (council/ bailiff/ public) understand them.

Equaslly important is that in making a judgment regarding the new rules, the judge will use the precedents set in the earlier case law to make his decision, and therefore it is still most likely applicable, as these cases, along with thre reasonableness of the clamping in all the particular circumstances in the case in front of the court will be considered.

So it is possible that the court may find in the defendants favour against a charge of criminal removal of a clamp, if say, the EA clamped next doors car, refused to acknowledge or consider the evidence provided by the owner viz V5 and insurance at the scene as the car owner saw the bailiff apply the clamp to his car parked on the road outside, and said the clamp stays on and the car will be removed tomorrow whatever. Owner says he has to go to work early hours in the morning 40 mile commute with no public transport, so warns EA that the clamp is coming off and later when EA goes cuts the padlock off and leaves it in his garden not the debtors for the EA to retrieve when he returns tomorrow, the innocent being at work with the car..

Now Caggers go out and consider your verdict, is the innocent owner guilty or not guilty?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I don't think that is how it works. Judges will look how the new laws affect existing case law. Just because new legislation is passed, does not mean that all related case law is deleted. The new laws either make situations clearer to rule on or more complicated.

Plus it is always open to arguments, claimants/defendants. Judges don't know everything, they have to be given the information.

Plus it is always open to arguments, claimants/defendants. Judges don't know everything, they have to be given the information.

Hence why a Judge is called a Judge, so he can Judge his decisions on the information he is given. I doubt there is a Judge in this land that knows every legislation and regulation etc.

I think we rather missed the point of Joseph Bloggs' post.

What he actually said was that initially it will be how Councils, bailiffs and each individual interpret the new legislation. It won't be until cases come to Court that the position

will become clearer.

I think we rather missed the point of Joseph Bloggs' post.

What he actually said was that initially it will be how Councils, bailiffs and each individual interpret the new legislation. It won't be until cases come to Court that the position

will become clearer.

Exactly so, but the same judges will consider it all in light of the old case law developed under the old rules and hopefully apply common sense.

I think we rather missed the point of Joseph Bloggs' post. What he actually said was that initially it will be how Councils, bailiffs and each individual interpret the new legislation. It won't be until cases come to Court that the position will become clearer.

Very true, we are all awaiting precedents to be set for all sorts of scenarios and actions.

Very true, we are all awaiting precedents to be set for all sorts of scenarios and actions.

The cases will no doubt be along shortly, it will be intersting whether Observer v Gordon will make a showing in Principal or Obiter