UKPC Parking Charge in Disabled Bay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've been reading through some threads here tonight and there is some great help available especially from a few knowledgeable and dedicated members.

I have seen a post similar to my problem and I was going to follow that to see how it develops but thought I would start a thread to see what any advice would be.

I don't want to give a sob story here but in a nutshell my wife has dealt with the loss of a child and an accident resulting in serious injuries that after ten operations she is only just out of a wheelchair and back walking with difficulty and has started driving again, she is now registered disabled.

I only mention this to point out that people have real problems in their lives and don't need the hassle from these vultures, this has caused her some real distress, or it did to begin with until I reassured her after reading to her some of the advice on this site.

She came home in tears one night (because of our already tight financial situation) because she parked on a retail park in a disabled bay and for whatever reason didn't display a blue badge, she can be a little absent minded sometimes with all she's been through and now has a parking charge notice for £90 or reduced to £50 etc.

I believe the advice is now not to ignore but also that blue badges don't apply on private land etc. so can't be enforced, I have seen the bays markings referred to as graffiti, even so I don't condone able bodied people using this as an excuse to park in a disabled bay. I have not yet been to check the signs on the retail park to see the position and size etc.

I am having no contact with the company and am now waiting the 28 days for the first letter.

I wondered what your thoughts are while I wait for the letter.

Thanks,

C.T.

CT100,

Sorry to read of your wife's accident and your loss.

I'm assuming this was a "windscreen ticket"

In which case you are correct.

No contact. Wait 29 to 56 days for notice to keeper (NTK).

Could you photo signs ?

There must be one at the entrance. Each sign must be 450mm X 450mm Min.

Please reassure your wife not to worry over this.

The advice on here is first class so don't panic

F16

Hi,

Thanks f16,

Yep a widscreen ticket, I will go and check the signs out and photograph them when I get chance although I suspect they will probably be correct.

My wife seems to think it is a free car park, not pay and display which makes me wonder why a PPC would be involved, I will have to wait and see until I can get down there to find out. I'm guessing if it was free then they have no claim for £90.

Thanks, I think she is a little less worried now but she was very distressed at first.

C.T.

CT100,

Free car park and no "Over stay" stated on the "PCN"

Therefore "No loss"

What "Loss" can they prove ? None !

They will reject the first appeal

But they have to give a POPLA no. (second independent appeal)

This will cost the Parking co. roughly £29.00.

You will win at the POPLA appeal.

Put the photos of the signs up on the thread. Advice will follow

Regards F16

This is how these companies make their money. They exaggerate their credentials and claims to the landowner and sell themselves as the answer to all parking problems but as this cost the LL nothing (why would they pay someone when they could do it in-house otherwise?) and make a profit by inventing conditions that are meaningless but then charge when you break them. If you wife has a blue badge then this can be knocked on the head when you get the notice to keeper from the parking co ot at an appeal to POPLA, the adjudicator. Dont lose any sleep over this, UKPC are used to losing appeals.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I'm sorry for the delay getting back to you, I have been very busy and have also been away for a week convalescing with my wife.

During our week away the notice to keeper arrived on the 32nd day which I have opened today, so it is within the 29-56 days.

So, how best to proceed?

Do I now write to them and state that there is a valid blue badge for the vehicle user and ask for a valid popla number to be sent with their rejection letter as soon as possible?

Would that suffice to have it "knocked on the head" when the notice to keeper arrives?

Many thanks for your replies and the time you take help, it is invaluable.

Cheers,

CT100.

Hi

Please do not forget to NOT name the driver. They have no need to have it. Always state, 'The Driver' not 'My Wife'

As ericsbrother has said, for now you can cite any reason you wish as they will reject you out of hand. Once you get the POPLA number and lodge your appeal, that is the time to include GPEOL and poor signage/no contract/no breach etc.

Also remember that on private car parks, any bay is just graffiti as it has no standing in law.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, I have been very busy and not checked back for a while.

I appealed and they asked me to send a copy of the blue badge as proof which obviously has the identity of the entitled holder on it.

Does anyone see any problem with sending a copy?

If so should I obscure the identity (name) and picture of the holder?

Thanks everyone.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, I have been very busy and not checked back for a while.

I appealed and they asked me to send a copy of the blue badge as proof which obviously has the identity of the entitled holder on it.

Does anyone see any problem with sending a copy?

If so should I obscure the identity (name) and picture of the holder?

Thanks everyone.

You are under no obligation to show them the badge.

If you do, they may cancel the charge...

Personally, I would write back telling them the above and to cancel the charge or provide access to POPLA.

as the blue badge does not identify a driver and indeed, the BB holder doesnt even need to own a car I see no harm in sending a photocopy of the badge. You can state that the entitlement to a badge is not tied to any vehicle and nothing should be construed as to who was driving at the time by the possession of the badge and they then cant make any claim of liability against the holder.

I suspect they are looking for a way out without losing face.